• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

TraceMyIp.org

Locals Find!

Hey just wanted to share this great analytic tool I recently started using. Its called www.TraceMyIp.org.

They have both a Free and Paid version. The paid version starts at $6.95 a month. Well, worth it. I get real time stats of my traffic and where its coming from and lots of other cool things.

Locals Find!

I thought most hosting providers gave you this information in a monthly summary?

They might I am not sure. All, I know is I get real time statistics with this. I can also block out tracking of certain IPs and track geographically where the traffic is coming from. Its really cool. I have the paid version so I can track all 10 of my websites and be able to make the tracker invisible.

petesign

In a previous professional life, I used to maintain and do a few websites for radio stations. We tracked things like unique visitors per month, and could then track how many and which pages each of those unique ip's visited. It gave us a real time look into which links were working and which were not. We could also sell our advertisers not how many "hits" we received - which can be a really misleading statistic - but instead, how many different people visited, how many pages they clicked through per visit, and what the most popular pages were to buy banner ads on. Today if I had the time to really work on my website (which I need to do - maybe spend less time here) it would help show me where my online dollars were spent most effectively by showing referral pages, etc.

Addy, thanks for giving me something to think about. I have my new website template about 80% done, maybe it's time to go finish it.

Locals Find!

When you say "tracking your websites", what exactly are you talking about?

I am tracking the visitor traffic to each of my websites and where they are coming from. For example I know which visitors found me through google & which from Facebook. I also get a snapshot of what the browser and operating system used were, and where in the world they are. When I know that I can tell whether I am getting traffic from cell phones or regular computers and if people are local or outside my area.

Its helps me figure out where to put my online marketing dollars. This week most of my traffic has come from people googling my site names and very little from my facebook ads.

Locals Find!

In a previous professional life, I used to maintain and do a few websites for radio stations. We tracked things like unique visitors per month, and could then track how many and which pages each of those unique ip's visited. It gave us a real time look into which links were working and which were not. We could also sell our advertisers not how many "hits" we received - which can be a really misleading statistic - but instead, how many different people visited, how many pages they clicked through per visit, and what the most popular pages were to buy banner ads on. Today if I had the time to really work on my website (which I need to do - maybe spend less time here) it would help show me where my online dollars were spent most effectively by showing referral pages, etc.

Addy, thanks for giving me something to think about. I have my new website template about 80% done, maybe it's time to go finish it.

Your welcome?

ProWraps

Sarcasm has its place. Its not here. I am simply trying to share something that the Signs101 community may find useful. Leave the insults, sarcasm, and jokes for more appropriate threads please.

wait, i didnt post that. it was a worm. sorry bout dat!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I am tracking the visitor traffic to each of my websites and where they are coming from. For example I know which visitors found me through google & which from Facebook. I also get a snapshot of what the browser and operating system used were, and where in the world they are. When I know that I can tell whether I am getting traffic from cell phones or regular computers and if people are local or outside my area.

Its helps me figure out where to put my online marketing dollars. This week most of my traffic has come from people googling my site names and very little from my facebook ads.

Oh, I see... so, you're tracking not the websites themselves, but the visitors to your websites.

Kind of like spying?

Locals Find!

Oh, I see... so, you're tracking not the websites themselves, but the visitors to your websites.

Kind of like spying?

No, kinda like sitting in your store and keeping notes on who walks in your door.

I am just asking their computers/phones where they came from and how they found me. Then I can better tailor my site & advertising to my potential customers.

If the majority of my visitors are using cellphones or tablets to view my websites. I would be better off designing things to better fit those devices rather than a normal computer screen.

oldgoatroper

No, kinda like sitting in your store and keeping notes on who walks in your door.

I am just asking their computers/phones where they came from and how they found me. Then I can better tailor my site & advertising to my potential customers.

If the majority of my visitors are using cellphones or tablets to view my websites. I would be better off designing things to better fit those devices rather than a normal computer screen.

So, that is like spying... just like big stores that want your phone number when you're paying cash at the till...

Locals Find!

So, that is like spying... just like big stores that want your phone number when you're paying cash at the till...

No, Spying involved. Don't you ask your customers how they found you? or where they are from? You can keep track in your head details like what age group or gender purchases from you. I am doing the same basic thing on my site. I just wanna know how they found me and what devices they are using.

If I wanted to spy on people I would be using cookies on my site so I could quietly track everywhere else they went afterwards. (That is spying)

wildside

not sure why this is a pay service, granted i did not follow the link

google analytics tracks stuff, tells me the search words they used in which search engine, what link they followed to get to me, what pages where clicked, average time on each page, references, countries, browsers, blah ba blah ba ba ba blah....

it is free, so again what are you paying $83 a year for?

oldgoatroper

Why would I ask my customers how they found me? They obviously did somehow when they walked in the door. I'm not going to insult them or question their navigation skills by asking them how in the world did they get here?...

I think you are just spying and just trying to make it sound like nothing...

petesign

Last attempt to be nice here.. then I am moving on my way... wouldnt it be nice to know which of your advertising methods worked, and which didnt? This allows you - online anyway - to figure out who you are reaching, and how they found you.

Now in person, sometimes I ask my clients where they heard about my shop. If someone refers me, and I find out about it, I try to do something nice for them.

Locals Find!

not sure why this is a pay service, granted i did not follow the link

google analytics tracks stuff, tells me the search words they used in which search engine, what link they followed to get to me, what pages where clicked, average time on each page, references, countries, browsers, blah ba blah ba ba ba blah....

it is free, so again what are you paying $83 a year for?

There is a FREE and paid service. The paid service had some more features. I opted to pay to access those features. I didn't like the feel of google analytics dashboard. The tracemyip dashboard was a bit more user friendly for my tastes.