• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Track saw or panel saw

bigben

TS55. I think the model number has changed today. I like it because to rip a 4x8 sheet on a panel saw you need 16’ of floor space. With a track saw you can easily do that on a 4x8 table.
And do you cut 1/2in acrylic with it? If yes, what blade do you use.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
Hi! Me again. So I got some quote for the safety speed saw. Here in Canada, 7k$-10k$ depending of the accessories. I've waited to see if I could find one used but did not had any luck. I will buy a laser next week and the saw will be necessary. I assume the most economical option would be a track saw? I'm a Milwaukee tools guy and their track saw is supposed to come out this month. But the reviews are mix.

So if I want to keep the budget below 2k$ (with the purchase of the laser my budget went down) what are my options for mostly cut acrylic?
If you're just using the saw to break down sheet goods to fit in the laser, how precise do you really need your cuts? A tape measure, chalk line, and a circular saw will likely do what you need and save you a ton of $ unless you need the precision for other projects.

bigben

If you're just using the saw to break down sheet goods to fit in the laser, how precise do you really need your cuts? A tape measure, chalk line, and a circular saw will likely do what you need and save you a ton of $ unless you need the precision for other projects.
I need precision for other projects too.
Plus I have the blade to Vgroove to make boxes.
I didn't know the was a blade for v-groove. Do you have a picture or link?

Gary1

What model did you buy exactly? Do you cut 1/2in thick acrylic and if yes, what blade do you use?
Never cut 1/2” thick acrylic. Usually 1/8” to 1/4”. Don’t remember the blade I used but I’d you check the Festool site there might be blades recommended for different materials. My saw and a 4’ track was $650. Can set it up to work outside on a nice day too! A very accurate saw.

Gary1

Do you back up the acrylic ?? I've always thought, if the acrylic isn't tight up against something, the chatter will bust it. We have lotsa 5" foam we use just for cutting acrylic, but never tried it on the panel saw..... anyway, not without breaking it.
I use the 1” blue foam as a sacrificial backing and cut about 1/8” to 3/16” into the foam when cutting any substrate with my track saw. Works fine.

Johnny Best

I cut 1/2" acrylic on my table saw all the time. The track saw has no problem with it either.
If I am cutting numerous pieces of acrylic I let them cut my pieces. They have the large computer saw that cuts everything really accurate and clean cut edges.

Johnny Best

BigBen, I think you should get a panel saw. You have to many questions about a track saw and that shows me your not a woodworker or artisan. The panel saw would suit you better. Easy to use and not complicated for what you need it for.

bigben

BigBen, I think you should get a panel saw. You have to many questions about a track saw and that shows me your not a woodworker or artisan. The panel saw would suit you better. Easy to use and not complicated for what you need it for.
You are right. I'm definitely not a wood worker. But I figure the track saw will be more versatile for what I plan doing. Plus it doesn't take huge space in the shop. I think I will go with the track saw and upgrade to a panel saw later if needed to.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Beg your pardon...... I had it it mixed up. We have a panel saw and it's a sawtrax and I thought that's what y'all were talking about.

This one is 10.5' long and 8' tall. Longest thing I ever cut was a piece of 20' polycarb. No problem, just hadda make sure it stayed level. You can cut anything quite easily up to 12 or 14' without a problem and 6' tall. It's very accurate, as long as you don't kick it outta square or rack it.

sawtrax.jpg
panel saw.jpg

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
Drop the panel saw. Get a digital flat bed cutter for all shop needs. Quicker, more accurate and quickly becoming the industry standards. Check out https://www.cutworxusa.com/?amp=1
They have an excellent assortment to choose from and the customer service to back it up

Gary1

What model did you buy exactly? Do you cut 1/2in thick acrylic and if yes, what blade do you use?
Never cut 1/2” acrylic but I know they have special blades to cut that. If your budget is low, get a track saw. Festool is German made, at least May saw is. It’s very versatile and mobile. And there are so many accessories you can buy like the MFT table.

signdudegraphix

We have a SawTrax 52” Panel Saw - Compact 52 Signmaker Package for sale.
It includes the Makita 7-1/4” circular saw for cross & rip cuts, ACM cutter and blade cutter for Coroplast, pvc, etc. We’re switching to a Fletcher FSC that will be better suited to our needs. We’ve used the ACM cutter and blade cutter quite a bit. Only needed the circular saw a handful of times. Message me if anyone is interested. We’re in Lutz, FL.

Attachments

• EC3ECAD8-E6E6-4B57-8418-4944EC355149.jpeg
    EC3ECAD8-E6E6-4B57-8418-4944EC355149.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
  • 79D8C79C-445D-4192-AAC1-AF4609562A8F.jpeg
    79D8C79C-445D-4192-AAC1-AF4609562A8F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • E8FA137E-9C5C-4910-95C2-7F0DBBCD44C7.jpeg
    E8FA137E-9C5C-4910-95C2-7F0DBBCD44C7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 51C91527-86C6-417A-BC6B-5F9B6879A7F9.jpeg
    51C91527-86C6-417A-BC6B-5F9B6879A7F9.jpeg