• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble gluing polymetal to mdo

Salmoneye

Having trouble gluing dibond to mdo/omega... using PL1 premium, liberally and then spreading with a notched trowel putting two panels together and then weighting them. Not getting great results. Am I missing something?

Salmoneye

We are having almost no humidity here, 12 hrs dry time looking for light bond, did scuff one panel and not another and there does seem to be a slight difference. I am surprised though as it doesn't recommend scuffing smooth surfaces (although it always makes sense) and it says that is is good for plastics that are many times smooth. I guess that I was expecting a little more. Also what does everyone use for gluing hdu to an mdo backer?

Kottwitz-Graphics

Also what does everyone use for gluing hdu to an mdo backer?

The only way that I personally bond MDO and HDU is to put the MDO inside the HDU.

I rout out the area where the MDO is going to go, and encase it in West System Epoxy. That way water won't get to the wood to cause any rot.

Fitch

Sometimes... when substrates dont "match" it is far better "glueing" the fastening mechanism together. Try looking beyond the two substrates to what will adhere to each of the substrates... then "glue" the fasteners together.

I know here in Oz that PVC will not glue to polyurethanes. But PVC glue adheres to polyurethane glue.

Get my drift? Think 4 substrates - not two.

Cheers - G