• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trouble with magnetics

Velocity955

Hey all, I just did 4 18x36" magnetics for a customer. I did a thermal print on intermediate viyl then laminated the print. It was then installeed on the magnetic sheeting. The customer compained that the magnetics had gotten "wavey and began to curl up around the edges. We recently had a blast of cold weather lately,( in the teens) could the cold have caused this? I have done magnetics like this before with no problems. Any suggestions on cause and remedy for this problem? thanks!!!

gabagoo

I wonder if when they were not being used he had them sitting all curled up and not on a flat surface?

Velocity955

The customer says they installed them on their vans and they were fine at first then started to curl around the edges after a few weeks.

Pat Whatley

Have you looked at them? We had a roll of magnetic a while ago where the manufacturers white vinyl wasn't adhering to the magnetic well. When the vinyl we applied would shrink slightly it was lifting the white surface up with it.

Malkin

Intermediate vinyls, especially laminates, will shrink up a bit and this may have cased the edge lifting.

Velocity955

The white on the magnetic is not separating from the black mag, but the edge of the magnetic is lifting from the vehicle. I have them back in my shop and I am trying to heat the signs to get them to lay flat again, but I do suspect it could be the vinyl and lam that is shrinking slightly, maybe combined with colder temps.Just not sure how to correct the problem. I appreciate the input!

tintguy31794

FDC... we got some of that in on a super clearance (white) I figured I would use it for stencils and such.. it wound up on a customers vehicle and months later... it fell off . It snowed here for the first time in years and his rear wiper took it off that day. I have had ZERO problems using oracal ... I will never use FDC again.