• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to find a Small Laminator

Jonathan24212

Hi Guys :)

I have a 54" printer but we do heat transfer material so we usually cut the material off at max 30" otherwise weeding the excess becomes too difficult.

I'm trying to find a cold press laminator that will put the medium tack poly transfer mask on and apply even pressure (rather than doing it by hand).

So I'm looking for a suggestion on a direct-drive (not pneumatic) with a take up reel (since there is a paper backing to the transfer mask) that would work well for heat transfer vinyl.
I know I can buy one of the very expensive (5k+) but I'd rather not spend that much money... ;)

Thanks guys!!!

Mixedmedia

I have an older 54” Royal Sovereign that we just upgrade to a 63” GFP. Looking for $1000 or B/O was gonna list it this week. Contact me if you’re interested.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I can’t remember who but I’ve seen a member on this forum with what I think he called a “china laminator”, which was literally just a manual laminator. Probably worth just looking for manual laminators and seeing how you get on.

That or if you’re pretty handy, it should be fairly easy to make one yourself with some old tubes and a bit ingenuity!

Jonathan24212

I actually have that one from amazon but here’s my problem.
I have the pressure on so high that the handle doesn’t turn it and I roll the “top tube” by hand.
I do that be because If it’s any lighter pressure then the media doesn’t want to release from the backing to the transfer mask. The thing is that it doesn’t always happen but it does sometimes (causing the graphic to rip in places making me reprint parts).

Is that because the pressure is to high? Even when I do it manually with a squeegee sometimes it will work and sometimes not. I feel like an idiot doing this and not being able to figure it out.
I was looking for something automatic to make it even pressure and also to increase speed of production

netsol

i would look on ebay for a used daige
we bought one of the 25" in 2016 but never used it

we also, between ebay and craigslist, bought a 38" daige, a 55" daige, a 44" seal & a 65" royal sovereign

we make out very well this way, but i have been repairing equipment for over 45 years

it sounds like a used daige would suit your needs very well

netsol

those seem pretty nice
to hedge your bet, i would cover with an extended wrrantybfrom square trade, or
warrantec. i believe squaretrade will cover any ebay purchase. view it as catastrophic coverage, just in case you end up with a lemon

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You should be able to apply premask without a laminator. If you do, hit it with a squeegee after dont use excessive pressure with the laminator.
If you cant peel it off, try adjusting your cut pressure. Other way is to put it tape side down and roll the backing off rather than pull the tape from the backing.

Jonathan24212

When I was talking to Stahls' they explicitly said to use the medium mask (same with Roland people) as the high tack wouldn't release when pressing.

I just bought a bunch of medium. Do you use high tack? Any problems with it?

Jonathan24212

You should be able to apply premask without a laminator. If you do, hit it with a squeegee after dont use excessive pressure with the laminator.
If you cant peel it off, try adjusting your cut pressure. Other way is to put it tape side down and roll the backing off rather than pull the tape from the backing.
What do you mean by roll the backing off?

signdude48

I have a 54" printer but we do heat transfer material so we usually cut the material off at max 30" otherwise weeding the excess becomes too difficult.

I'm trying to find a cold press laminator that will put the medium tack poly transfer mask on and apply even pressure (rather than doing it by hand).

So I'm looking for a suggestion on a direct-drive (not pneumatic) with a take up reel (since there is a paper backing to the transfer mask) that would work well for heat transfer vinyl.
I know I can buy one of the very expensive (5k+) but I'd rather not spend that much money... ;)

Thanks guys!!!
I have a 30 inch laminator I will sell.

karst41

Thanks guys!!!
Get the older Royal Sov. If the Top roller is not all cut up then that sounds like a no brainer. There is a Youtube video on adjusting the roller.