• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to get into the biz

Cjackson0314

Hey everyone,

Been wanting to get in the print business for a long time. Recently decided to pull the trigger. I have a long racing background and we always have wrapped our cars. Always seems to be a struggle to get stuff done. I do have a couple friends in the business that are constantly covered up and have gave me some advice so far on what to look for. Looking to get into doing wraps and grow into regular consumer stuff.

So currently looking at a HP Latex since that's what one of my good friends uses in his business and seems like ink and print heads are much cheaper.

Any advice from here on out, I am open ears.

Also if anyone could help me get in touch with Wholesale Plotters (PrintEquipmentDeals) on here that'd be great. Not sure if they have been out of the office this week but haven't been able to get in touch with them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
HP Latex seems to be the way most people go.. and they are just fine for wraps too. Don't forget the laminator. You may also want to consider a wrap class to learn the proper ways to wrap a vehicle. You might have the skill but there are methods you need to learn.

As a side note... "I'm covered up" is a nice way of saying, "I don't want your business". Once you get a taste of commercial work, you might start telling your racing clients "I'm covered up".

Cjackson0314

HP Latex seems to be the way most people go.. and they are just fine for wraps too. Don't forget the laminator. You may also want to consider a wrap class to learn the proper ways to wrap a vehicle. You might have the skill but there are methods you need to learn.

As a side note... "I'm covered up" is a nice way of saying, "I don't want your business". Once you get a taste of commercial work, you might start telling your racing clients "I'm covered up".

I've definitely looked at doing some classes. I've done all our wraps for several years. Not saying I do it the proper way though. Also I hope I could get to the point of being that busy. I do have several customers with my parts business that I should have a decent start with along with a few normal business connections. Just looking to get started and grow as much as possible.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Hey everyone,

Been wanting to get in the print business for a long time. Recently decided to pull the trigger. I have a long racing background and we always have wrapped our cars. Always seems to be a struggle to get stuff done. I do have a couple friends in the business that are constantly covered up and have gave me some advice so far on what to look for. Looking to get into doing wraps and grow into regular consumer stuff.

So currently looking at a HP Latex since that's what one of my good friends uses in his business and seems like ink and print heads are much cheaper.

Any advice from here on out, I am open ears.

Also if anyone could help me get in touch with Wholesale Plotters (PrintEquipmentDeals) on here that'd be great. Not sure if they have been out of the office this week but haven't been able to get in touch with them.
Clarkson0314, let me focus on one phrase, "Always seems to be a struggle to get stuff done."
I want to suggest that you carefully read David Allen's book, "The Getting Things Done Workbook: 10 moves to stress-free productivity."
I use it almost daily and I have several clients who have found it helpful.
Step 1, "capture anything on you mind" That is easy to say, not easy to do. The key idea is to clear your mind so that you can give your full attention to the current project. And, you have to a comfortable system that works for you, especially having a well managed to do list. Then, finding what you need quickly.
I have only given you a few items. There is so much more. Let me ask, does any of this make sense to you?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
You'll also want to have lower grade media on hand for simple sign work and another for flat surfaces such as box trucks. The good wrap vinyl & laminate is overkill for these. Any way to cut cost is a good thing. Also consider a "hood laminate" not sure what the technical term is but it's formulated for horizontal surfaces that bake in the heat. I'm in Florida so that's a must. When quoting jobs ensure you factor in extra time for rivets, removing badges, cleaning surfaces etc. Also a bonus if you have access to a climate controlled well lit dedicated wrap bay. butane trigger heat guns, good quality squeegees, strong magnets to hold the wrap in place .

Just my 2¢

Cjackson0314

Why the hate for HP/Latex? My good friend in the business swapped from Roland to HP a few years ago and said it was best move he’s made. Nothing but good things on his end.

unclebun

Clarkson0314, let me focus on one phrase, "Always seems to be a struggle to get stuff done."
I want to suggest that you carefully read David Allen's book, "The Getting Things Done Workbook: 10 moves to stress-free productivity."
I use it almost daily and I have several clients who have found it helpful.
Step 1, "capture anything on you mind" That is easy to say, not easy to do. The key idea is to clear your mind so that you can give your full attention to the current project. And, you have to a comfortable system that works for you, especially having a well managed to do list. Then, finding what you need quickly.
I have only given you a few items. There is so much more. Let me ask, does any of this make sense to you?
I think you have misinterpreted. The struggle the OP has is getting someone else to make his wraps. Thus the desire to look into making them himself.

Commando

Why the hate for HP/Latex? My good friend in the business swapped from Roland to HP a few years ago and said it was best move he’s made. Nothing but good things on his end.
I have 2 and they both shrink images and the colors will change. Many of these do this with no fix in sight. We have wasted a lot of material due to shrinkage.
And they arent very user friendly, compared to others.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...shrinkage...And they aren't very user friendly, compared to others.
Shrinkage sounds more like bad media and/or laminate. Colors? Yes, way too many media profiles required and colors shift with each change of the inks. The HP we have is a pia to change out media 5-6 times a day. I will say HP seem to have listened to us users and implemented a new loading system on newer models that looks promising.

Commando

Shrinkage sounds more like bad media and/or laminate. Colors? Yes, way too many media profiles required and colors shift with each change of the inks. The HP we have is a pia to change out media 5-6 times a day. I will say HP seem to have listened to us users and implemented a new loading system on newer models that looks promising.
The shrinkage is a problem that happens a lot. Its only in length, not in width. Also, you can put a box around it and it doesnt shrink for some reason. But that extra empty space for the box means wasted sheeting. Losing 70x9 on sheeting that costs 1.50 a square foot isnt taken lightly.
Color shifting has happened a few times. It never happened on my mimaki. Not once.
If we didnt have 3M contracts to fulfill, we wouldnt mess with these junkers lol

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I think you have misinterpreted. The struggle the OP has is getting someone else to make his wraps. Thus the desire to look into making them himself.
unclebun, yes, I can see that I might have misinterpreted. I attempted to respond simply because so many struggle with getting things done. Anyway, thank you for your feedback.

The shrinkage is a problem that happens a lot. Its only in length, not in width. Also, you can put a box around it and it doesnt shrink for some reason. But that extra empty space for the box means wasted sheeting. Losing 70x9 on sheeting that costs 1.50 a square foot isnt taken lightly.
Color shifting has happened a few times. It never happened on my mimaki. Not once.
If we didnt have 3M contracts to fulfill, we wouldnt mess with these junkers lol

Is this for ASTM Regulatory Traffic Signage, using 3M traffic and safety sheeting films, such as high intensity prismatic 3930 or diamond grade 4000 series?

Does your Mimaki eco-solvent have the ability to produce regulated traffic signage?

myront

CorelDRAW is best

You're not confusing "shrinkage" with a media feed issue are you? i.e. prints come out shorter than expected.

We had a Mimaki before the motherboard went out and was gonna cost another $7k to fix so we opted to "upgrade" to an HP latex simply to be able to laminate right away. Printed several different types of media on the Mimaki using 1 print profile and was much simpler to load/unload. We had 3-4 employees who could use it without a hitch. The HP requires so many steps that we now have 1 dedicated Print Tech and if he's out we have another who can "wing it" but that's it.

Commando

Is this for ASTM Regulatory Traffic Signage, using 3M traffic and safety sheeting films, such as high intensity prismatic 3930 or diamond grade 4000 series?

Does your Mimaki eco-solvent have the ability to produce regulated traffic signage?
Yes sir. We had to send in color samples and everything to 3M. It was the only way we could still get good contract cost and warranties.
I couldnt get a good profile on Rasterlink 5 to print on HIP sheeting. Im getting a CJV300 next week with Rasterlink 6 so im hoping i can figure out something. That doesnt mean 3M will warranty it though..

Commando

You're not confusing "shrinkage" with a media feed issue are you? i.e. prints come out shorter than expected.

We had a Mimaki before the motherboard went out and was gonna cost another $7k to fix so we opted to "upgrade" to an HP latex simply to be able to laminate right away. Printed several different types of media on the Mimaki using 1 print profile and was much simpler to load/unload. We had 3-4 employees who could use it without a hitch. The HP requires so many steps that we now have 1 dedicated Print Tech and if he's out we have another who can "wing it" but that's it.
I can even print a 12x6 and it comes out short. I dont see how that little would equate to a media feed issue, but im not a tech lol.
Like i said, this issue runs rampant on these HPs apparently.