• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to market Wraps?

HulkSmash

Someone forwarded me this a while back on how to market a wrap. It's some good stuff.

Read below.

Vehicle Wraps and graphics are up to 50 times cheaper for the same amount of impressions!
A study by 3M concluded that it costs just 48 cents to get 1,000 impressions with vehicle wraps and vehicle graphics. The same amount of impressions on television costs $23.70!

Vehicle Wraps Marketing
Drivers: A Coveted Captive Audience
Americans Spend Nearly 20 Hours in a Vehicle Weekly!
When you participate in vehicle advertising, you're reaching a coveted captive audience. Drivers spend more and more time in their cars each year. According to the 2009 Arbitron In Car Study, American Travelers spend more than 18 hours per week on the road - a 31% increase in just the last 6 years. Also according to the study, those who drive the most are also most likely to have the highest household incomes.

Commuters Have Long Drives -
A census bureau report published in 2005 reveals that at least 100 of these hours can be attributed to the commute to and from work.

Drivers Remember Vehicle Graphics Ads
Given the large amount of time that drivers spend in their cars, it isn't surprising that vehicle wraps and vehicle graphics have such a strong impact on consumers.

Studies show that consumers remember vehicle graphics advertising.

97% recall ads on trucks
98% thought the ads created a positive image of the advertiser
96% thought ads had a more impact that billboards
Source: American Trucking Association and RYP and Becker Group

Media Cost Comparison
When it comes to getting the most for your money, Vehicle graphics are by far the most effective way to get your message out to potential consumers.

Take a look at the study from 3M:

Advertising Medium Cost Per Thousand Impressions
Study by 3M
TV Ads $23.70
Magazine Ads $21.46
Newspaper Ads $19.70
Radio Ads $7.75
Outdoor Ads $3.56
Vehicle Wraps/
Vehicle Graphics $0.48

ProWraps

the funny part is, they say that you will get 30,000-70,000 impressions a day.

but that one has always had me wondering.

attached are the real facts from the OAAA. Anything you need to know about Out of Home Advertising they have real stats..

Attachments

• Why a Wrap?oaaa.pdf
    224.2 KB · Views: 657

Craig Sjoquist

How SAD 48 cents VS other advertising costs lowest one $3.56 outdoor

See how much digital have destroyed the sells market of advertising with signs.

Ask your older mechanic if they lowered there prices when they switch to air power tools ?

HulkSmash

How SAD 48 cents VS other advertising costs lowest one $3.56 outdoor

See how much digital have destroyed the sells market of advertising with signs.

Ask your older mechanic if they lowered there prices when they switch to air power tools ?

You're right, I guess we should all still be riding horses and get rid of our cars........ :rolleyes:

If you decided you don't want to move with the current market, you will lose... especially in OUR work industry.

Locals Find!

So how much did it cost you the last time you did a 20k unit direct mail campaign?

Database?
Variable data sort?
Variable data print?
Actual print?
Mail sort?
Postage?
Labor?
Purl tracking?
Follow up to target market?

Guess you know more than these guys http://www.oaaa.org/

I can do a 20,000 piece targeted mail campaign with postcards for a lot less than $20,000. If anyone is paying that kinda money. I will come work for them. They can hire me as a full time employee. I will save them enough money to more than cover my salary and benefits.

FrankenSigns.biz

20k postcards mailed for $20k. These are accurate stats?? I think not.

That is absolutely accurate considering design, printing, database, postage, et al.

Even though we own our own digital press and can print postcards all day long if we wanted to, we don't use direct mail. Why? For our particular business, direct mail is ineffective and a colossal waste of time and money. Just like the Yellow Pages...

I can do a 20,000 piece targeted mail campaign with postcards for a lot less than $20,000. If anyone is paying that kinda money. I will come work for them. They can hire me as a full time employee. I will save them enough money to more than cover my salary and benefits.

Yes you can do them for less but what would you sell a 20K unit direct mail campaign to an end user.

It is not about what you can do the job for it is how much it would cost a company to get a soup to nuts direct mail campaign facilitated properly.

Are you tracking the campaign and results?
Are you offering Purls to track this?
Are you offering variable data?
First class postage is $8,800

The point is that that kind of static advertising does not have the same bang for the buck as the same level of exposure of doing wraps for the same amount of money.

This was a thread about targeting the wrap market right nothing else. The document I supplied supported wraps as being an effective marketing tool and getting some viable info to the OP of the thread.

routierracing

I would love to see some more realistic studies and numbers. I never knew I was getting 8.4 million impressions a year(according to the oaaa pdf). If I said that to a customer I would look like a idiot. I have no doubt that vehicle graphics are the most cost effective way of advertising but case study information is useless if its not realistic.

I would love to see some more realistic studies and numbers. I never knew I was getting 8.4 million impressions a year(according to the oaaa pdf). If I said that to a customer I would look like a idiot. I have no doubt that vehicle graphics are the most cost effective way of advertising but case study information is useless if its not realistic.

OAAA provides the most realistic and accurate reports in the industry. Perhaps you need to educate yourself on the markets and OOH graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-home_advertising

The OAAA is the lead trade association representing the outdoor advertising industry. Founded in 1891, the OAAA is dedicated to promoting, protecting and advancing outdoor advertising interests in the US. With nearly 800 member companies, the OAAA represents more than 90 percent of industry revenues.

routierracing

I apologize because I didn't mean to discredit anyone. It sounds like they provide a valueable service to the industry. I was simply going by my ownmath dividing 8.4 million by 365 not counting days off. Now my drive is 40 minutes into the 3rd largest city in the midwest. If I were to count every car I pass or passes me I don't think it would be close. If I were counting cars going south as I go north then maybe. But I can't even pick up a message of a car going the other way and I look at every graphic I see because its my trade. However it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and please don't take this as arguementitive.

I apologize because I didn't mean to discredit anyone. It sounds like they provide a valueable service to the industry. I was simply going by my ownmath dividing 8.4 million by 365 not counting days off. Now my drive is 40 minutes into the 3rd largest city in the midwest. If I were to count every car I pass or passes me I don't think it would be close. If I were counting cars going south as I go north then maybe. But I can't even pick up a message of a car going the other way and I look at every graphic I see because its my trade. However it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and please don't take this as arguementitive.

No worries... Just letting all know that I would not even think about posting any info that was inaccurate and could possibly make someones shop look bad.

My goal is to help spread any info of I can to help out and hopefully make your business grow.

Food for thought.. How many people see your wrap when its parked? Remember we are talking about a mobile billboard...

grafixemporium

Yes you can do them for less but what would you sell a 20K unit direct mail campaign to an end user.

It is not about what you can do the job for it is how much it would cost a company to get a soup to nuts direct mail campaign facilitated properly.

Are you tracking the campaign and results?
Are you offering Purls to track this?
Are you offering variable data?
First class postage is $8,800

The point is that that kind of static advertising does not have the same bang for the buck as the same level of exposure of doing wraps for the same amount of money.

This was a thread about targeting the wrap market right nothing else. The document I supplied supported wraps as being an effective marketing tool and getting some viable info to the OP of the thread.

I think this is getting a little out of hand because I agree that vehicle wraps are the best bang for your buck advertising around. However, it's not a one-size-fits all marketing strategy. There are some companies that might not benefit from a vehicle wrap in the same way other companies would. All the other advertising methods you mentioned stats for are still very important and viable to many, many businesses.

However, since you keep pushing the topic...

Yes, we can do a direct mail campaign targeting 20k addresses for a lot less than $20k for our clients. It all depends on what exactly you are planning to mail. We deal mostly in postcards... cheap and effective. We can buy a list tailored to your needs and design the postcard. The rest is outsourced, so the labor aspect is very minimal. Just throwing numbers around without any more information, I'd say we could do a 4x6 at retail for $12k-15k.

The campaign itself would determine the effectiveness. A direct mail piece reaching 20k very specific eyes could be a lot more effective than a vehicle wrap that reaches 100k+ random eyes.

The postage on 20k 4x6 barcoded postcards is most certainly NOT $8800. What are you planning to mail anyway? A brick?

Variable print data other than the addresses is available and would incur an additional fee.

No, we don't offer to track the campaign and results at this time. However, when we sell a vehicle wrap for $3k, we don't offer to track the results there either. Some of what we do definitely blurs the line between ad agency and print shop... however, most of us here in these forums are in the printing industry. The stats are a good selling point, but let's be realistic. I doubt anyone here tracks stats for their clients' campaigns.