• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Turn on the humidifier, today!!!

netsol

i just got a static shock, which made the display of my gerber 4B go dark. it came back on with a restart

my humidifier is obviously NOT KEEPING UP, which is funny, since it really isn't cold out yet

lets save those $2,000-$3000 system boards.

kent from mac media isn't doing any repairs anymore & either am i.

gabagoo

My laminating table has shocked me a few times in a place that should never be shocked. I look at that thing with such disdain now.
Yea I know that one. In the winter after cutting a lot of 48" vinyl on my Graphtec..you need to be very careful when winding it back up after cutting as your pants get pretty close the to vinyl basket with the aluminum rails...OUCH!!! Hit you right in the zipper!!!
The laminator can be a source of much discomfort as well, especially when laminating onto ACM. I now am very cautious when the ACM comes out of the laminator and use an Olfa knife to touch the sides of the ACM to release the static....some pretty big blue sparks!!!

victor bogdanov

I killed my Graphtec last year with the strongest static shock I have ever felt, my finger hurt for 2 days. I think it had something to do with a new synthetic material shirt I was wearing, haven't wore is since to work

Vassago

Easy solution.. Have a piece of metal connected to earth via a high value resistor - give it a touch before working on something - kills the static and doesn't give you or machines a zap.

For machines that zap - just put a copper rod connected to earth in the same fashion to discharge everything.

They use similar things when working with circuit boards.

Superior_Adam

Just have your HVAC guy put a humidifier on your system. You can determine the settings and let it work through out the whole building.

unclebun

At 9 am it's 58 degrees with 76% humidity, high of 71 today. Indoors my gauge says 35% humidity. I don't think I'll be turning the humidifier on unless I want to grow some mold.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are you guys grounding the machines? I don't get shocked anymore taking vinyl off the cutter, but it happens when I pull backing off substraits. I'm constantly "knocking" objects with my knuckles first to ground myself.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Are you guys grounding the machines? I don't get shocked anymore taking vinyl off the cutter, but it happens when I pull backing off substraits. I'm constantly "knocking" objects with my knuckles first to ground myself.
I was going to put a ground on that table, I don't know if it would do anything for the material because its isolated with a cutting mat. I just grab it and take it like a man, sometimes you can here that pop across the shop. If I can scoot the acm to the edge of the table, I grab a scrap with a rag and touch the 2 skins together with the scrap touching the ground, that usually takes care of it.

netsol

Gr
ounding the equipment DOES NOT protect from this type of damage
3 prong outlets have been required since 1971 & it gets harder to find an ungrounded circuit every year
Raising humidity makes it easier to avoid all types of installation problems caused by static electricity

Jburns

I have one of these installed next to each machine. Touch it EVERY time to release static before touching the machine. ( I always feel a discharge shock when working on carpet).

Right not I live in Colorado 15% humidity. I zapped my gerber edge once - no good. Watch your shoes, watch the carpet... Best if there is not carpet - just concrete

Aquarium Grounding Probe. Cheap insurance!! I even run the media over it before starting.

61KE045ZanL._AC_SL1000_.jpg