• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

TV Studio Backlit Panels

rlmercer

Good morning guys,

We're printing a new background set for a local TV studio. There are 18, 36" x 120" panels that form the background. These are backlit from light sources on the wall behind the set. We've planned on using Sihl 3549 Optilux with a matte laminate, but have also looked at Sihl 3179 VivaLux. The product sets on the 3179 say that it is "scratch resistant". In your experience, would it be possible to use something like the 3179 (8.5 mil, backlit) without a laminate?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Marlene

I don't know about the vinyl but we did some signs that were backlighted for TV and there's a filter or something that you need to put on the signs. I can't remember what it is but am in hopes that someone else here might know what I'm talking about

fozzie

I would laminate. In our experience, scratch resistance just means less scratches. We tried some once at an airport. By the time the airport maintenance gorillas had put them in, they were marred and scratched to heck.
At the size you are doing getting them in without scratches would be tough.