• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

two cutters

geb

Just a simple question. Can I run two cutters on one computer, using seperate serial hook-ups? They won't be running at the same time, but didn't know if it may confuse drivers in signlab when I output a job, which devise is it going to and don't want to screw something up either. Anyone do this with other software on one computer? Thanks.

George

Bill Preston

Interesting question, George, and I can only guess. Hubert F. could probably give you the answer. It might be such a thing as being possible if each plotter is assigned its own Com port, but even then, when you go to cut, you might have to change the assigned port in the plotter setup.

The other item to consider---and I don't know the answer to this either---is the dongle thing, (licensing question, and whether it will allow cutting to two plotters off the same 'puter.) I would guess that the program will find it no matter how many plotters are attached.

It might even be possible to output to both plotters at the same time, provided the computer has the horsepower to handle multiple jobs. Fast chip, lots of RAM, etc.

Let the rest of us know what you find out.

bill preston

Barry

Bill Preston said:
Interesting question, George, and I can only guess. Hubert F. could probably give you the answer. It might be such a thing as being possible if each plotter is assigned its own Com port, but even then, when you go to cut, you might have to change the assigned port in the plotter setup.

The other item to consider---and I don't know the answer to this either---is the dongle thing, (licensing question, and whether it will allow cutting to two plotters off the same 'puter.) I would guess that the program will find it no matter how many plotters are attached.

It might even be possible to output to both plotters at the same time, provided the computer has the horsepower to handle multiple jobs. Fast chip, lots of RAM, etc.

Let the rest of us know what you find out.

bill preston
I run both my Summa D60 & Versacamm off the same PC (Printing on one while cutting on the other).

There should be no reason you should not be able to do this. Each device has its own port with its own address.

bryan

YES you can. I currently run 3 digital machines, including a Versacamm, and 2 plotters on one system. However, most of my equipment is USB. You can install extra serial ports on your system. There are numerous ways to do this including slaving ports. If your not up to snuff on computers, it will be worth your money to have it done while you keep making signs..........:wink:

As per the dongle, most dongles are LPT or USB driven thus allowing you to have as many devices as you want on the system. The dongle key is to ensure the software is used on one single system and really has nothign to do with the devices themselves.

Hope this helped.

geb

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Bryan, could you explain alittle about the xtra serial ports and "slaving". I have a new XP, but only notice one serial port, and it's being used. Something I can do to add a serial port, and keep in mind I have no knowledge of adding anything to computers. Is their a simple fix to add more serial ports without professional help? Thanks.

George

bryan

Being that your running XP and its probably the latest USB, I would go with a multi port USB to Serial device. With a fairly new system they simply plug in and offer new ports. I think they make them in several sizes, number of ports that is.
Here is a link to what I am talking about. You can also search on the Internet for USB to Serial and find loads of possibilities since your running a pretty new setup.

http://www.perle.com/products/prod_family/USB_adapter/ultraport_USB.htm

Let me know if I can help and good luck. :Cool 2:

geb

Thanks Bryan, Exactly what I had in mind, simple and something I can do myself.

Thanks again,

George

Hubert Furey

George,

The simplest scenario is if you have different cutting devices. Simply install both drivers and setup each driver for a different port. If you are not cutting to them simultaneously, then you select which driver you want to use in either the Cut Preview or the Plotting Defaults. The driver will send the data to the correct port and device.

The dongle will not restrict the number of cutting devices installed into SignLab.

geb

Yes, that makes alot of sense to me, I've seen that in the cut process, but didn't register that would solve my question till you mentioned it.

Thanks Hubert,

George

SignRover

We run a Lynx and an Ioline plotter off the same PC using SignLab ES. It takes up to 30 seconds to spool or load a job from plotter to plotter, but we often have both machines running simultaneously.

Dave Drane

I have been cutting off 2 plotters for many years. I have a "Cadlink Fastboard" running my old Gerber 4A off a second port. I have to access it from the cut menu. It was very handy for cutting Scotchlite or pounce patterns until the little belt that turns the cutting head decided to fall apart just leaving the wire there. That is all that is wrong with it but I can't seem to be able to locate a new belt.