• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Two dead D60 plotters in one day

Pat Whatley

Okay, so I've been slammed all week at the shop but knew I had this morning free. I figured I'd take one of my Summa D60u plotters home to go ahead and cut the vinyl for a really big order that has to go out Monday. Unplugged the plotter, laid it in the back of the Durango, and drove it home. Nothing eventful happened, no major jolts or anything. Plug it in at the house and get nothing, no power at all. replace the exterior fuse, open it up and replace the interior fuse...still nothing.

So I drove back to the shop, took the second Summa and put it in the back of the van, standing upright on a foam mattress. Get it home....no power. Replace the fuses...nothing.

Are these things actually this delicate? They've taken a hell of beating in the shop in the last five years, one of the has been knocked over a couple of times and still worked fine (once continuing to cut while lying on the floor).

Does it sound like power supplies or am I missing something obvious?

Border

Stupid question but are you sure the outlet at home is a live one? Did you use the same outlet on both machines or try different ones to be sure?

Pat Whatley

You know, after I posted that I got to thinking the same thing.
I changed outlets and changed the power cord and still no dice.

CES020

Do other things work from those outlets? You might have tried a different outlet on the same circuit.

Did the first one work at the shop when you picked up the second one?

Just grasping at straws here.

Last edited:

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Do you have any GFI outlets in the same circuit you are plugging your summa into? They can cause some funny problems. Try a different circuit if so...

Pat Whatley

Opened them up and got the multimeter after them. One had a blown power supply, the other one has a short between the plug inlet and the power supply, I'm hoping replacing the switch will fix that. Replaced the power supply in the first one, put new blades from Clean Cut Blade in it and it didn't stop cutting for 10 hours yesterday. Love my Summas.

Interestingly, I have a friend who builds custom guitar amps, including wiring his own circuits. He looked at the power supply and took the blown one with him. He's pretty sure he can rebuild it for less than $30.