• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News Two-step verification

tulsagraphics

I disagree. I will end up going through the ten one time use codes every day. It is an inconvenience on all members to prevent the bad behavior of the occasional bad actor. The net result, IMHO, will be a reduction of good members and site activity. Is there not some way to impose this for a limited time on new members only?
What are you doing that requires you to log in 10x per day? S101 is very good about keeping folks logged in for extended periods -- I almost never have to log in. Implementing 2FA won't change this functionality.

In any case, a good password manager and 2FA app is incredibly easy to setup and use. Bitwarden + Authy are my go-to apps.

WildWestDesigns

2FA depends on how it's implemented for me. It the secondary mechanism is cell phone related and only allows for cell phone, that would kill it for me (the phone and the apps etc have permissions nowadays and even malicious apps getting into the supposed wall garden etc). Now there are still hurdles even after that, but those same hurdles are present if they had gotten ahold of something else like a yubi key. That and while convenient, that comes at a price, another reason why I don't like to use cell phones for as much as everyone else seems to use them for. But I'm weird like that.

JBurton

Signtologist
I don't like to use cell phones for as much as everyone else seems to use them for
I'm with ya, to the point that I won't let my wife use cashapp or venmo. Found out the other day my wife's sister got her identity stolen through one of these, she really didn't want me to find out or I'd lecture her again on why it's a dumb idea to tie your cash to your phone in any way.

ikarasu

I'm the complete opposite.

I have every credit card / debit card on my phone that accepts it. If someone steals your number and charges stuff... You call in, spend 5 mins on the phone with their security team, they overnight you a new card and void all the charges.

Everything is legally protected, so they can't force you to pay for a charge you didn't make.

Not that that's ever happened to me - I did have my card stolen on a Disney cruise before.... They did like $300 worth of uber eats everyday for the 10 day cruise, didn't notice until I got back.... But still, it was an easy fix.

Every credit / debit card I use I have setup to sms me on every charge over $10. So now if something gets stolen, or someone over charges.... I know instantly. Minor inconvenience, but i hate using cash... And this also helps me realize how much I'm spending.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't get what's so hard about sticking a card into a credit card reader. Watching people fittle fart around with their stupid phones in the checkout lines is about as annoying as watching someone bust out their checkbook while you stand there waiting...... waiting.

ikarasu

You don't even have to unlock your phone for under $200, just tap the screen button so it's turned on and hold it close - way faster than using a card! Yeah, were talking saving a minute... So it's not much. But it's the same with keyless entry on a vehicle - it's so convenient not having to put the car keys in the car and just press the button, I'll never buy another vehicle without push to start for that sole reason.

We're a lazy species.

I do it for convenience. And because I have my phone with me 100% of the time.... I've been known to forget my wallet at home... Mainly because I never use it :roflmao: so having both is a good backup as well.

ikarasu

And it's only "natural" - I'm a techie.

My phone can control my home - from playing music on 6 different speakers, to unlocking the front door / opening the garage.... It can start my truck (I have it setup to start 10 mins before I leave for work every day, don't even have to touch the app... It pre heats itself up, or air conditions itself before I get off work) .

There's so much my phone can do, tapping to pay is just a natural part of it. I embrace technology... Even if I get burnt by it sometimes!

I think it may be a cultural thing too. In Canada we've had tsp to pay for a long long time... We've had chip cards for even longer. I remember everytime I went to USA it was still magstripes... Which was annoying having to sign for every purchase.

But as a Canadian, I've been using tap to pay for over a decade - and I trust my phone's NFC much more than my un-shielded wallet.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You don't even have to unlock your phone for under $200, just tap the screen button so it's turned on and hold it close - way faster than using a card! Yeah, were talking saving a minute... So it's not much. But it's the same with keyless entry on a vehicle - it's so convenient not having to put the car keys in the car and just press the button, I'll never buy another vehicle without push to start for that sole reason.

We're a lazy species.

I do it for convenience. And because I have my phone with me 100% of the time.... I've been known to forget my wallet at home... Mainly because I never use it :roflmao: so having both is a good backup as well.
I never used the push button entry, it's a pain. Fat finger a button and you're sitting there punching it in multiple times. Now a keyfob where you grab the door and it unlocks is a different story. I forget my wallet and my phone on a regular basis. I keep a cash stash in the truck and my desk for these situations. I usually leave the phone in the office when I go into the shop or someone's office, I don't rely on it and don't want to lose focus with the thing dinging or someone calling. There is no reason to be available all of the time so I don't want it to be tied to me like a wallet.

WildWestDesigns

I do it for convenience.
This is what will get people. Convenience. There are caveats to have that convenience.
I love my tech as well, but I will stay away from the more "convenient" options. Especially when that's relying on tech that the OEMs make it harder and harder for me to actually own and work on. I don't like that. As I get older, the less I like to rely on other people, especially when it comes to security of my own stuff.

I have seen the electronics of stores fail to where one can't use that new age tech either. And it happens more often than one thinks.

I have seen the press to start buttons fail (and I'm not talking about cheap vehicles either) and have to pop that thing off and put the old fashioned key in. I never had an old fashioned non-chipped key fail (other things may fail, but not a key like that). Not once.

As more tech is involved, more things to fail, just the way that it is. Always good to have the old analog way around so don't skip a beat (of course, at that point having to keep two things around, I would argue might as well keep thing thing that has the less failure rate). Or, for some things, just best to keep things analog. Just because the tech is old, doesn't mean that it still doesn't have a place. Why I actually don't like newer vehicles. Way too much electronics, sold under the auspice of safety.

I don't use Android or iOS phones, so I don't have to worry about those options and what surrounds that either. Which also means that the apps that are out there for those phones, I don't have access to, which is fine for me.

ikarasu

Yeah, that's what I meant. My truck has a keypad too - but I like not being forced to take the keys out of my pocket. Comes in handy having it auto unlock when I'm close, then when my hands are full I'm not fumbling. Then it's got a push to start button too - so I can just press a button and not use a key. Best invention ever!

I keep a $20 in my visor in my truck... But it's a work truck, about once a week someone is using it for an install that in not a part of... And everytime I go and look the $20 is gone.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Our suburban has the key fob thing too. You never have to take the key out of your pocket. The gear shifter and ebrake are buttons too... I hop in the thing and push the engine, the drive and ebrake button almost at the same time so in 2 seconds of getting in I'm driving. My wife takes 20 minutes.... 10 minutes to preheat the car, and another 10 minutes finding places to put all her cups of drinks in that trash can on wheels.

WildWestDesigns

you never heard of incognito mode??
Not really the cure all that people want to think that it is (and that's even if the browser was the worst bit of analytic gathering I was to be worried about). And given what has been talked about here, I wouldn't be surprised if people did something that would nullify even what little benefit incognito mode still has.