• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ul Standard

cwb143

I understand why there is a UL Standard. I get that, but I know for a fact that there are people making signs and getting away with not using them. So unfortunately for us we have to do it just because we show up on the Radar. I'm wondering why it cost so much when all we're doing is placing stickers on everything we make. If I wanted to put someone else in charge of doing that it cost $1,000. Who benefits from this money? Do I have to do what UL says? Who are they to say what I can and can't do?

petepaz

UL can be a pita sometimes. we pay like $10-15K a year to be UL approved. we have quite a few customers that we make labels for that need to be UL approved so its a necessary evil. we have to go back and forth with drawings, material specs and approvals. probably the biggest issue we have is the time it takes to get all this done and approved by UL before we can print the labels.

cwb143

I hear ya. Also, the unannounced visits are annoying. Not sure why it always has to be a surprise visit.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I hear ya. Also, the unannounced visits are annoying. Not sure why it always has to be a surprise visit.
Because there's always going to be some folks who will cut corners (even if it's not safe or smart) if no one's watching. "Surprise" inspections can help cut down on that.

equippaint

UL and ISO remind me of the mafia. You want to do this business here, you will need our protection - payable weekly. In many ways they (UL) serve a purpose but it seems like they have a lot of govt and insurance co influence where they can make requirements and rules for so many things that are already covered under existing codes. Total over reach. Its all about $$$.

MikePro

same goes for getting engineering stamps of approval. if you follow UL spec/certification, you may actually save most of that $$$ on your liability insurance.. ...the rest you make on being the sign guy that can actually do the work in your area.

besides, what's the price-point for freedom from liability or protecting your business? if you follow the spec, and something terrible goes wrong, you are protected.