• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ul sticker placement

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
After making a beautiful set of channel letters I always dread applying the holographic eye sore UL labels. I wish they could be applied out of sight. I usually let client decide location. Bottom Right is a frequent request. For a rectangular "I" does that mean right side of bottom or bottom side of right? What about a letter "O" ? I have my thoughts but curious if my thinking aligns with what my sign company clients actually want.

Attachments

• 20230126_080257.jpg
    20230126_080257.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 240

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would absolutley place your letters on your work bench like you would hang them then take a photo. Upload it to your computer and "place" the sticker in a few spots then let the client choose the best location. That way you can move it around in different spots and YOU can see what looks best and make a suggestion in addition to their suggestion. No sense in guessing what might look best. I would hate to see you hang these beautiful letters and they say they say, "Ugh, I don't like it there, can you move it?" Best to take a few extra minutes now than later.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you have a choice. They must be placed on the letters or raceway while still in the place where they are being made. They cannot be applied in the field/site. Normally at the end of the raceway or on the bottom of each letter. They need to be seen by an inspector at all times. You'll be in big trouble, if they need to get a ladder to check them out.

JBurton

Signtologist
You'll be in big trouble, if they need to get a ladder to check them out.
Funny thing, around here, only Hot Springs has strict UL numbering requirements. Everywhere else they simply ask for the letters to be UL, Hot Springs wants a list of the exact numbers to be put on a wall. To the point that they've held us up on site while a company doing walmart letters scrambled to figure out what set went where and what numbers were on our set. My guy kept offering to make a list for them, the city inspector would not let my guy do that, and would not leave. Shy of packing the letters up and leaving, we could do nothing until they had those numbers. It took the better part of a day to get sorted out, 2 trucks, 4 guys, all on down time.

Scotchbrite

No comment
On flush mount letters, we've been allowed to place the sticker in a visible location on just the first letter and then the rest can have the stickers out of sight from the ground. Might worth checking to see if you could get the same consideration.

Aside from that, I thought the rule was that the stickers have to be visible from the ground. So you could stick them wherever as long as they are visible.