• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Unable to save in Flexi

choucove

Greetings again all, I've got a problem here for you that perhaps your expertise may help solve!

One of our designers is running Flexi 8.1 on Windows XP Professional (32-bit) and all of a sudden this afternoon has had problems being able to save a large file. This is the information that she has sent to me:

"When I go to save the file "save as" to save over a file the error says "seek failed on C:\DOCUME~1\Lynn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_fs91.tmp" the end part of the message "fs91 changes each time I save it. It is always 9 something. . ."

She tried to open, create, and save a small file which did save successfully, but when she's trying to save large files she gets this error. I am believing that it has something to do with not enough disk space from having so many temporary jobs from Flexi, but what is the best way to go and clear these out? Would that be causing this "seek failed" error? Is there a tool, option, or place within Flexi itself to go and clear out these old temp files?

Thanks again everyone for your time and help!

choucove

Thanks for that fast response! I will have her try installing and running CCleaner and see what that does. I don't know the exact size of the file she was working with, but she said it was definitely one of her larger files, several hundred MB at least I am sure.

Sign_Boy

What was she making????
I take it she placed images.

What was it for if you don't mind me asking.

choucove

Well the problem is still persisting, because CCleaner didn't really do anything. She said after installing and scanning, all it did was tell her that there were over 230 files needing to be taken care of, but wouldn't actually fix anything. You have to upgrade for that. Apparently "free to download" doesn't mean free like Spybot S&D or Adaware or 95% of the other free programs out there.

Anyways, since that didn't solve the problem, I'm still looking for answers and any way to get this going. I did get a little bit more information that may help on this. She said that this is a brand new file, hasn't been saved even as the first time she tried to save the file is when she got this error. However, she can create new smaller files and save them without the error, and can open existing files and save them without the error. It also does not matter where she tries to save it to, be it in the Art Files directory of the file server, or another directory group on the file server, or even locally on her own hard disk it still has the same error.

So far, this is the first time we have ever seen this kind of error on any of the computers, and none others are experiencing the problem either. I am still thinking that this has to do with too many temporary files from Flexi. Any thoughts?

Sign_Boy

That's strange my CCleaner cleans up my temp files and such.

What does the file consist of?
All vector or a combo of vector and bitmaps?
How large are the images in the file? Feet/inches?

mcgrawdesigns

Hey Choucove, I have also run into a similar problem and would appreciate any help that is put out here. I have noticed the "seek failed" error message when I have tried to save some large files in Flexi 8.5. The progress meter gets up to about 50 or 60 percent and then stops and the error message pops up and I can't save the file. I have even tried to save the file on disk, and exported the file to a different directory, but the same thing happens. Anybody got any ideas?

Techman

goto your temp folder and delete everything there.. There is no need for CC cleaner.

You just follow the path given as you posted above and clean it yourself. There is nothing in the temp folder that is important. If it is something needed the program that uses it will replace it when needed.

SignBurst PCs

Are your jobs in Production Manager cache being cleared out? I have seen this eat up all of the drive space.

Remember, your drive can look like it has space left and still give you drive space problems. Pagefiles and few others don't show up as used space.

choucove

Thanks everyone for your input, I will look into what I can do.

Production Manager shouldn't be causing any problems with old jobs on this computer, as she never opens this program on her computer. All cutting and printing is done through a whole different computer. And it doesn't seem possible just to browse to the temp folder to delete these files completely, as there is no DOCUME~1 folder listed in the C: drive, even when hidden files or folders are displayed. Perhaps just typing in the directory through explorer???

The hard drive space really shouldn't be causing the problem either, as it has a relatively new installation of Windows XP Professional on a WD Raptor 150 GB hard drive. The only software she really has installed on there is Microsoft Office, Flexi Pro 8.1, Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Illustrator CS3, Nero Burning Rom v7, Avast! Antivirus, Adaware, and Spybot S&D.

If this is somehow a problem where Production Manager is using up too much space with temp old jobs archived somewhere, how can I go about having her clear all this out? I believe the project she is working on is a mixture of vector and bitmap, but I'm not positive.

signage

Did you check the properties of you hard drive to see what space is avalible?
Also the file showing Document~1 indicates a longer file name than displayed.

SignBurst PCs

C:\DOCUME~1\Lynn\LOCALS~1\Temp\_fs91.tmp

equals

c:\Documents and Settings\Lynn\Local Settings\Temp\_fs91.tmp

You will need to show hidden files and folders to get here.

How much space is actually unused on the C:\ drive?

150GB isn't that hard to fill up.

If she isn't using Production Manger, I don't think there should be anything in the PM cache.

choucove

Well, she did get to the temp folder and clear some files out. The strange thing is, she did this cleanup this morning, tried to save, and it gave her the error. But just this evening I had her do the same cleanup and try saving again (albeit, this was a different file as she had to close the original one she was working with but still just as large of a file if not larger) and the saving actually worked! No error messages this time. So, I assume she will just have to check regularly to clean up the temp files, which can at least be done with the disk cleanup utility and get most of those files removed.

Her disk space used she said was around 10%-15% is all, which means she still has over a 100 GB hard drive space free I would imagine. Still, this was all just kind of funky. I'll have to keep in touch with her and make sure this same problem isn't cropping up again tomorrow, but for now it seems to be resolved (?) Thanks again everyone for all your help and input!

choucove

nope, no disk quotas in use on any local drives really, just seemed like for some reason it didn't want to save that certain file. I don't even think that it was that there wasn't enough space on the hard drive or in the temp folder for that temporary file, just that for some reason it just didn't like the location of the temporary file, or naming scheme of the temporary file, or something strange like this. I'm actually kind of wondering if I should run chkdisk to scan for any possible errors...

SignBurst PCs

Chkdsk couldn't hurt.

It may have been a currupted file.

I know that you said that she tried to save it several times, with bad results, but has she had the problem with more than one file?

choucove

Well it seems now that it was just the one large file that she was trying to save that was giving her the error message. She was able to save smaller files without problems. And once she closed that large file that was giving her problems, she was able to open and save other large files without problems. So corrupt file could definitely be a possibility here.

LittleSnakey

I have had this problem also, it seems to happen when using large jpg images with a mask. If I get rid of the jpg I can usually save. I have also saved as an eps to workaround this problem. The error I get just says it cannot save the file. Its not a hard drive issue cause we use a remote computer for file storage and have plenty of free space.