• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Uneven laminating pressure RSL-2702

JdBattDesignRCI

Laminator: Royal Sovereign RSL-2702, about 3 years old

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

I'm laminating cardstock pages of an emergency checklist binder with a kind of thick 5mil laminate. Normally I run everything fine at 248 degrees (F) and on speed 5. Well, none of the 40 or so sheets I ran bonded properly. Either the laminate sealed around the edges with an air pouch or it bonded imperfectly, with bands of cloudy-ness showing it didn't contact the paper. Some cases i've been able to peel the edges open and it didn't stick to the paper at all nso I can try again. The temperature is set too high for this to happen. This happens no matter which orientation I feed the paper through. A coworker said try raising the temperature as high as it will go (300) and the lowest speed (1). Even then, we have to make more than one pass. Also noticing the machine doesn't maintain a constant temp, it says "Ready" when either the top or the bottom roller is 45-50 degrees under what i set it at! This thing is too new to be wearing out. I don't want to be known as the guy who broke a $3,000 laminator.

The pressure as it rolls seems uneven, but the lever is locked in place at "lamination"

No difference in pressure that I can see from the middle to the outside of the rollers.

see attached photo for example.

JdBattDesignRCI

sorry here's the photo. Fed it in short edge first. The rollers don't look flattened at all.

Attachments

• laminator.jpg
    laminator.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 105

JdBattDesignRCI

I have been able to run the sheets through the hot rollers again with no laminate loaded and saved about half of them so far. but it continues to not maintain a constant temperature despite saying "Ready." I have to keep checking it every few minutes and waiting for it to warm up again. Is this normal