• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Upgrading from Flexistarter 8.6v2 to Flexistarter 10, worthwhile?

Haakon

Quick question, since the SAi homepage was not helpful at all (does not even mention Flexistarter as part of the Flexi family).

I currently use Flexistarter 8.6v2 on my Roland GX-24 (I do all my design work/file setups in Illustrator, so Flexistarter does all I need it to do, setting up files for cutting).

However, I also have a 24" Epson printer bought with making print+cut decals for indoor use in mind, where the Epson prints and the Roland cuts (cutcontour files + OPOS eye), but the Cutstudio software does not work properly on my computer, and the local Roland dealer that I bought the machine from just shrugs their shoulders regarding making it work properly (problem: http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79106 )

I see in the features info from the ebay vendors that stock Flexistarter 10, that it features a print+cut solution, mine does not, and this is something I need. But I do not have the need for a heavy duty rip system, so if the print+cut/contourcut feature works well this seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

Have anyone worked with this feature? Since Flexistarter has it, I would guess all Flexi 10 versions does? Can I import an image from photoshop and make the contour cut lines in Flexi, and print with registration marks on my epson? For then to load the printed vinyl into the Roland for contour cutting?

So does this work well? Or should I go for another solution to make print+cut a working solution with my printer and plotter?

Haakon

Any input on the cut+print feature on flexi, or suggestions to alternative reasonable cut+print software would greatly be appreciated :thankyou:

jayhawksigns

We have print and cut here with Flexi for years, works great. Think that we have had some issues from time to time but I think most of them were hardware or drivers and not anything directly the fault of the software.

Techman

flexi starter does not have print and cut.
There is not way they will include the print and cut function on a starter cutter package.
Starter is jut that. A starter program just to get your cutter to cut.

WildWestDesigns

What exactly is the cutstudio program doing?

If you are using Ai for all your design work, you should be able to do the design work, set up your cut line, use the CutStudio plugin to setup the 3 registration points, import that info into the main cutstudio program from the plugin. Then you should be ready for cutting after you print it out using whatever program you use to print (if you use a RIP or you just use Ai to print from).

I haven't had any issues with the CutStudio plugin or main program, but I also can print directly from Ai to my GX-24, however, I don't use the print+cut option. Most of my stuff is cut vinyl apparel decorating, no printing on vinyl then cutting.

contact Bobby Fosson at CiberSupply
He gave us more information than we could possibly need when we wanted to upgrade... and the best price to boot
its nearly impossible to try to get any usable information out of SAI or even fellers reps and they don't care to find out...

Bobby
678-735-3200

Last edited:

Haakon

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to respond in order:

flexi starter does not have print and cut.
There is not way they will include the print and cut function on a starter cutter package.
Starter is jut that. A starter program just to get your cutter to cut.

From what I have found out, print+cut is indeed featured in flexistarter v10, it is the main new feature separating it from v8.6 that I currently have. Here is a link to the features in flexistarter v10: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlexiStarte...193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156f01a51

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]**Advanced Contour Cutting Feature** [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the first time, Our New FlexiStarter 10 now supports precise contour cutting with all the vinyl cutters, including LaserPoint cutter and any regular cutter without laserpoint.Please see the following brief steps on how to do contour cutting with flexistarter 10 software from us.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]** Important notice:
All the vinyl cutters, no matter what brands, support contour cutting. You just need flexistarter10 to make this happen.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FlexiStarter10 is the best way to utilize your vinyl cutter and turn it into a contour cutting unit and make your more sucess in your business.[/FONT]
What exactly is the cutstudio program doing?

If you are using Ai for all your design work, you should be able to do the design work, set up your cut line, use the CutStudio plugin to setup the 3 registration points, import that info into the main cutstudio program from the plugin. Then you should be ready for cutting after you print it out using whatever program you use to print (if you use a RIP or you just use Ai to print from).

I haven't had any issues with the CutStudio plugin or main program, but I also can print directly from Ai to my GX-24, however, I don't use the print+cut option. Most of my stuff is cut vinyl apparel decorating, no printing on vinyl then cutting.

My cutstudio software that came with the GX-24, and features the ability to make contour-cut outlines and registrations marks for the printer, does not work as it should in print/print+cut mode. The problem is explained thoroughly in this thread that I made last year: http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79106

contact Bobby Fosson at CiberSupply
He gave us more information than we could possibly need when we wanted to upgrade... and the best price to boot
its nearly impossible to try to get any usable information out of SAI or even fellers reps and they don't care to find out...

Bobby
678-735-3200

I actually contacted mr Fosson last week, by a pm on this forum with a link to this thread and the GX-24 thread, asking about the features on flexistarter v10, and asking for a quote on a upgrade or a standalone program (so I can have v10 on one machine and my old as a backup or on a separate workstation), but I have not heard back as of yet. I am located on Norway though, I don't know if they deal with international clients.

My local Roland dealer that I bought the plotter from brand new, just shrug their shoulders. Their only "solution" was to send me an offer for a sp-540i, because; quote: "the Versaworks software that come with it is much better".

WildWestDesigns

My cutstudio software that came with the GX-24, and features the ability to make contour-cut outlines and registrations marks for the printer, does not work as it should in print/print+cut mode. The problem is explained thoroughly in this thread that I made last year: http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79106

I gotcha. Let's see if this will work here.

Find and install the respective cutstudio plugin for your version of Ai. If your version isn't supported, then the rest is moot. Although, I think it said you have CS5. When I first got CS5, I used the CS4 plugin and no issues even running Win7. I haven't checked since then, so they might have changed that.

After you install the plugin, open Ai. Then you want to find your Roland CutStudio plugin. That plugin will allow you to to add registration marks to your print file. You will print directly from Ai, not from CutStudio. You will more then likely have to tweak the plugin to make sure it will only "see" the cutline in CutStudio. All tweaks in the plugin are pretty self explanatory from what lines you want the main CutStudio program to "see" to where you want the registration marks to be on the page.

Once you have that setup, you print what want/need to print for the decal in Ai, not CutStudio.

Once you have that printed, while still in Ai on the CutStudio plugin, you'll notice a big "R". Clicking that will import your cut lines directly into CutStudio (remember to setup only the lines that you want it to read to cut) from Ai.

Load up your substrate with the reg. marks. Click cut, it'll search for those 3 marks, once it finds it, it'll start cutting.

That's the bare bones of what I would do if I was cutting out some prints.

CS-SignSupply

Interesting how the seller blocks out the Flexi version being used as well as the cutter driver... I am installing Flexi STARTER 10 now and will see what I can find.

CS-SignSupply

Within FlexiSTARTER 10, you can import an image or vector file, use the Contour Cut feature to create the contour cut... then create the Contour Cut Marks (for most any brand of cutter). Send the job to print. Load the print on the cutter and go from there (depending on your cutter features and contour cut marks).

Screenshots are available if needed.

There is no direct upgrade path from STARTER 8 to STARTER 10.... simply purchase new STARTER 10 for $395

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
So Flexi Starter 10 is essentially Flexi Pro without design capabilities? Does the production manager have the color profiler?

Haakon

Within FlexiSTARTER 10, you can import an image or vector file, use the Contour Cut feature to create the contour cut... then create the Contour Cut Marks (for most any brand of cutter). Send the job to print. Load the print on the cutter and go from there (depending on your cutter features and contour cut marks).

Screenshots are available if needed.

There is no direct upgrade path from STARTER 8 to STARTER 10.... simply purchase new STARTER 10 for $395

This sounds like just what I am after. Can I for example import a image file, add a contour cut line outside it, and tile multiples on a sheet like you would tile multiple similar items in production manager for cutting?

Also, can the program add registration marks for Roland cutters, so you can use the OPOS eye for registration?

If flexistarter 10 can do this, I would be happy to place an order for it right away.

CS-SignSupply

This sounds like just what I am after. Can I for example import a image file, add a contour cut line outside it, and tile multiples on a sheet like you would tile multiple similar items in production manager for cutting?

Also, can the program add registration marks for Roland cutters, so you can use the OPOS eye for registration?

If flexistarter 10 can do this, I would be happy to place an order for it right away.

No option for Multi-Copy, but you can copy and paste

Roland Registration Marks for GX, GX Pro and SolJet/CammJet

As for it being PRO without a RIP.... loooong way away from PRO.

Attachments

• starter10.jpg
    starter10.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 193

Haakon

No problem using copy and paste within the actual workspace, as long as I can make for example 30 rows of 10 printed decals to make 300 copies, send that file to the Epson Stylus Pro with registration marks, print, laminate and load the sheet into the GX-24 to make the contour cuts using the optic eye for registration/alignment?

CS-SignSupply

Imported PDF, Created Circle just inside of original design, set to contour cut, copy and pasted over and over, selected all and created Cut Contour Marks.

Attachments

• starter10_2.jpg
    starter10_2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 177

Haakon

Thanks, that looks great! You have my email now (the one I sent my sample file from), if you can have a copy of Flexistarter 10 shipped to Norway, just send me a mail about what information you need from me in order to arrange what is needed. :thankyou:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
hey bobby, what is the difference from what appears to be retail $395 flexistarter 10 and the $110 versions of it that I've found on the web over the last couple months?

Haakon

Payment for flexistarter 10.5 and shipping to Norway sent!

I have also found a range of ebay sellers selling this software, with an auction with a starting price in the $110-120 range, but the Buy Now price is $395. I'm guessing the reserve is set close to retail price also, so a $110 bid does not land you anything.

CS-SignSupply

hey bobby, what is the difference from what appears to be retail $395 flexistarter 10 and the $110 versions of it that I've found on the web over the last couple months?

Most of the time, the vendor is buying cutters from out of the country that have FlexiSTARTER bundled with them... So they buy 100-500 cutters for $300 each and sell them off at $499, or so, and then also sell the FlexiSTARTER for $195.00

Many times, the cheaper STARTER packages contain only drivers for short list of machines... example, the DeSay Edition, Jia-Chen Edition, PCut Edition, etc.