• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ups

graphix

uninterupted power supply..as you know in earlier post i had to have a power supply rebuilt for a sp540 before i powered it back up i bought a ups...printer been doing fine came out today in shop and the ups was on battery backup and printer was off...most of had another surge..over the years i have lost probabally 3 pc's which showed bulged resistors.now learning about the surges i am wandering if i am getting surges from the power lines. i live in old town with a grocery store across street with lots of coolers just wondering if they may be the culprits....anyway i have a tripp-lite 350 va ups is this big enough on the battery side for my printer or should i use this on the side that is just surge protector..
can someone please explain i know if i didnt have this hooked up it may have popped another power supply..thanks

Dice

Ya your not anywhere near what you need on a printer. Look at getting a 1500VA or bigger.

Also the surge protectors work by monitoring the line and outputting any extra voltage or amperage though the neutral (ground). If your in an old building it's possible that you aren't grounded well. You might want to have an electrician come out and check it out. They should give you an estimate for free.

graphix

ok thanks ...well those devices are expensive...what alternatives do i have.,...i built a add on 200 amp box..all outlets grounded...but i am hooked up in front part of building that is 100 amp jumpered from 200 amp box...should i run a single line to printer with 30 amp breaker....i really not concerned about getting through a print job (don't print anything major) i am just worried about the surges...,.if this makes since...
really didnt know about the ups to so to get by what do i need to do...the lesser expensive way..thanks

signage

If I was you I would contact a local electrician and talk to them about your concerns and possibly a whole panel surge suppressor!

Techman

lost probabally 3 pc's which showed bulged resistors

The caps very likely were not damaged by a power surge.
There was a rash of bad capacitors in plenty of PC's previous years.

The cause was some technician stole a japanese design. Sold it to a chinese company but with one little surprise. The design company used the oldest of security methods in the books. That is they left out a very important detail on how to preserve the oil that acts as a insulator.

The oil that lines those capacitors was not treated with the correct preservative. Thus the caps went bad and bulged out tops.
It ruined the chinese company and the original designer company is making out like bandits replacing those bad caps. Plus they knocked out the theef company in one swoop.

Industrial espionage at its best.

graphix

The caps very likely were not damaged by a power surge.
There was a rash of bad capacitors in plenty of PC's previous years.

The cause was some technician stole a japanese design. Sold it to a chinese company but with one little surprise. The design company used the oldest of security methods in the books. That is they left out a very important detail on how to preserve the oil that acts as a insulator.

The oil that lines those capacitors was not treated with the correct preservative. Thus the caps went bad and bulged out tops.
It ruined the chinese company and the original designer company is making out like bandits replacing those bad caps. Plus they knocked out the theef company in one swoop.

Industrial espionage at its best.
thanks