• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

*Urgent* - Need to trick a Jv5 into thinking it has all full carts....

ScotJ

I just bought a Jv5 used from someone in the states. Now I was advised to flush the pipes dry for the 10 hour transport, and then do an ink fill when we got it out of the truck.

It sounded weird, but we did. Unloaded the printer, and it seems 4 of the 16 cartridges are out of ink, and the print wants cartridges that all have something in them. Is there anyway to over ride this?

When it boots I get a prompt asking me to define the ink time, so I put HS, then confiruration (4cmyk or 6cmyklmlc), then it says

"Set all HS ink cartridges"

Then on the bottom display "Info* Key is hit"

Any way to over-ride this? Its friday night and the earliest I can buy ink is monday and the machine is DRY right now.

OR if there is anyone in Toronto that I can buy 5 cartridges from I'll come immediatley. Thanks in advance!

zgraphics

trick the inks

pull out the cartridges and check if they have a sensor and tape them down and that might work... good luck

ScotJ

No, they emptied the machine completley of ink and there is no fluid in it at all.

And I don't think those cartridges have a sensor like that which I could tape down.

ScotJ

I guess going a step further - is there a way that I can make the machine think its already done the ink fill and all is good - then just proceed to do several regular ink-fills to top re fill the lines?

Ken

I own a versacamm..In my situation, i would use cleaning fluid in the docking station ( where the heads sit), park the heads and let them sit in that until ink arrives.
Good luck...
Ken

ScotJ

tried that but can't seem to get the heads to move off the capping station. It looks to be pretty complex on this unit.

iSign

on my JV3, I can manually pull the carriage out from the capping station. There is a mechanism that lowers the capping station as the carriage pulls away. It takes an amount of pressure similar to pulling a car door open... not extreme pressure, but more than opening an un-magnitized cabinet door. Basically like opening a fridge... in fact it has a similar feel to... no metallic click, but a softer non-metallic resistance that releases when the capping station drops away...

..anyway, just giving you some detail in case you want to try it, but want to feel safe applying a little pressure.

You should also ask over at printingdigital.net

Barry has a Mimaki (JV3 I think) and he is extremely knowledgable & helped me with a similar situation where he advised me to get my heads dropped into the fluid I filled the capping station with, by running a nozzle wash, and then pulling the plug on the machine to leave the heads soaking over the weekend...

...but you got more than just heads to worry about if all your lines are empty too... try to contact Barry!

ScotJ

Ya- I had a JV3 before and am familiar with that proceedure.

Unfortunatley this machine has a motor that brings the capping station up and down anddoesn't seem to want to move easily so I don't want to force it.

And yea - the tubes are a huge problem to. Re plumbing a machine with 32 ink lines is not my idea of fun.

ScotJ

Where are these clips? I looked on the back of the cart and didn't see anything/

But when I did that - I was thinking, what if I take a syringe, and pull ink out of one cart and shove it into an empty one. Could this work? OR does that IC chip store a value on it indicating whether the cart has been emptied or not?

iSign

my guess is you would be far better off spending your time trying to find 5 cartridges today and getting all those fluids moving.

Graphix Plus Ink

Where are these clips? I looked on the back of the cart and didn't see anything/

There is a clip that pokes out from the side of the cartridge when the weight of the ink has reach very low triggering the machine to think your empty. It's usually on the side toward the front of the cartridge. It must be shaved off enugh for the machine not to sense it. It will work if done correctly.

ScotJ

I'm going to try this - but I suspect that Mimaki has a procedure built into the cartridge that once it reaches 0 it writes to the IC chip to say it can't be filled up any more - otherwise people would just re-fill the OEM cartridges more often... no?

WDP

We were told the michines don't really know their empty until the pins/clips poke out. GPI should be right if it's shaved off enuff to make it flush

Robert72

Anyway, if you cannot find cartridges today, WITH THE MACHINE UNPLUGGED, you'll have to move manually the capping station. it have an screw. If you turn it several times, you'll get down the capping station, freeing the printheads. Then fill the capping stations with cleaning fluid and return the printheads to their original position and turndown the screw to hold the capping station against the printheads.

At least, with this procedure you can save your printheads until you can buy the new cartridges.

ScotJ

ok, thats what I didn't know - whether or not you could manually move the capping station like that.

WDP - I tried that but it seems I was right about the IC chip reading 0 once it has been emptied. even with it taped over solid it still tohught the cart was empty.

ScotJ

Ok - how about this Plan B-

How about I manually ink fill - sorta? Would it make sense to un-hook the hoses form the pump and pull ink through the head with a syringe while someone else holds the valve open on the cartridge? (This can be done easily).

Does this make sense? This way I'll ensure left over ink doesn dry up in the lines?

or should I not be worried about ink in the lines drying up?

ScotJ

WOOO HOOOO!

I knew it could be done - Booted in tech mode - went into the # menus.. .under running parameters there is a value called "Ink Fill" #120 or something. IT was set at 0. Set it to 3 and the machine thinks it has ink.

I did that, now I'm proceeding with manual head fills and the machine thinks all is good :)

Thanks all for the info and help!