• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USB long length connection

Pinfinity

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I would like to hook up a newly purchased digital printer and cutter to my pc which is approximately 25' away in an adjacent room.
They require USB connections obviously. Is there a problem with a USBV cables that length, or what would be the best way to hook these two units up without problems?

Thanks for any suggestions

randya

In reality you probably want to hook your printer up with an IP cable.

For the cutter, IF it actually sends USB data, you should be able to use a USB repeater.
I know that the Mutoh cutters use a USB cable but not USB code, so a repeater will not work on that, and the cutter needs to be closer to the PC.

Stealth Ryder

Call your dealers Tech Support and let them help you with initial set-up!!!

The printer connects via TCP/IP and the cutter uses a USB Cable in most cases, you can use a com cable if needed.

Pinfinity

Thank you Randya, the cutter is a q54 vinyl express cutter, and the printer is a Mutoh vj 48. I am not familiar with a repeater. Is it like a splice connection?

Also, you say Mutoh does not use USB code, does that apply to the printer as well?

Stealth Ryder

Your Printer should be connected with the 25" Ethernet Cable that was provided.
Your cutter should be connected with the USB Cable that was provided.

USB Cables should not exceed 12' (recommended) for proper communications.

You paid for Technical Support with the purchase of your equipment, I suggest you utilize it...

petesign

I had the same problem, and there is a workaround. You have to get a powered USB hub, and connect two 12' USB cables with it. The hardest part you will have is finding the right cables and the right hub so it all fits together.

I have experienced no issues running two usb cables this way, but it has to be a powered hub, not just something to link the two cables together.

Hope that helps you out.

gbarker

I had the same problem, and there is a workaround. You have to get a powered USB hub, and connect two 12' USB cables with it. The hardest part you will have is finding the right cables and the right hub so it all fits together.

I have experienced no issues running two usb cables this way, but it has to be a powered hub, not just something to link the two cables together.

Hope that helps you out.

Another easy option is to use a USB to ethernet adapter set. They are available on the internet and allowed me to use my plotter 30' away from my computer.

laserman70

They make usb booster cables. We have our cutter on 2 usb booster cables. Google it you will find them.
Good luck

randya

I am with Stealth Ryder,

The technical support that comes with your purchase of Printer and Cutter can be invaluable to someone new to printing/cutting.

These guys sell and service a LOT of this equipment, and can save you hours and literally thousands of dollars in wasted time and materials, to get you up to speed faster and more efficiently.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Powered hub is the way to go. Along with that get two 12' (or longer if you can) USB cables with Type A / Type B ends and connnect everything up.