• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USB port broken, looking for a repair company

Xeon19

We had the misfortune of someone tripping over our USB cable connected to our FC8000 and it bent the tabs in our USB port. When I went to straighten them, one broke off. Called a local dealer and he said the USB is connected to the motherboard and we have to replace the entire motherboard at $1000.00. He did call back with a real quote of about $500.00. That's still crazy! Wondering if anyone know of a electronic shop that can replace the USB port? Our local radio shack has a better chance of making you a pizza then give any circuit board advise. Thank god we have a second machine.

we did discuss the serial cable option but we use the cutter on multiple machines. The dealer also said that the serial cable is a Graphtec only cable, which I found hard to believe.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Where are you located? We have done this several times. The only issue is if there was damage to other electrical components on the board.

kffernandez

if you know how to install an expansion board, the easiest way around this one is to buy a usb expansion board. it costs about $6-7 around here, and gives you about 4 instant fully powered usb ports, ready to use.

kelly

DizzyMarkus

Providing he has an open slot :0)

What about a simple USB HUB -- it splits 1 usb into 4 or 5 -- can be bought at a walmart too :0)

Markus

CreatedDesigns

I think they broke the usb port on the printer itself and not on the computer end which would be a very simple fix.

without seeing myself it is hard to say if it can be repaired or not.

Techman

cut port from motherboard. desolder the 5 pins left behind from the MOBO..
replace with a new port. Resolder those pins.. About 2 hours max.
I used to do this kind of work weekly.

Especially the old toshiba satellite lap tops. The power port would go bad. I bought ports by the dozen at one time.

woolly

Once it's fixed loop the cable a couple of times held with a little tape so if tripped on again the loops pull out not the port. Also tidy away better. As long as the board is not cracked repair should be possible with care.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
he is obviously talking about the cutters USB port....

open it up, take a picture of the MB's affected area and post it.

if the board isn't cracked, easy fix, if it is, not so easy fix, but doable.