• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used box signs?

WCSign

Ok the search isnt working, so I am starting this thread.

Im opening a store and on a whim I searched craigslist for "sign" I have came across a 4' x 5' box sign that I putchased for $60 (as a display I thought lol) and ive come across 2 more that im going to check out that are extremely inexpensive.

ive changed faces, yet never installed a box sign. So I dont know new prices, or where to buy them. If somebody wants to throw me a bone on a manufacturer, that would be awesome!

anyways, does anyone think that buying them at around $100, to resell at a markup has any merit? Or am I wasting my time? I have the space and will happily keep them as displays if they never sell.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Tried this while working at a previous shop and had mixed results. We sold the signs "as is" at a very deep discount, customer responsible for pick up or shipping costs and constantly had to field questions about the condition of the signs (despite all pertinent info being displayed on the company's website where they saw the signs in the first place). And count on pricing refurbishing them, no matter what you put in the description.
You have to ask yourself whether it's worth your time (or an employee's) to answer questions of that nature and deal with the paperwork. For some of the sales, we got a decent return for little-to-no work. Something else to consider is whether you've got the storage space and don't care how long they sit.

AceSignsOnline

We have a fairly extensive collection of things like this out in the back lot. Sometimes, we are simply asked to get rid of old signs when we install new ones. And when you think about it, it isn't much work to strip most of these boxes and re-skin them to save a little on materials and A LOT on labor costs. They also come in handy when you have a potential client that wants something for nothing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I would never buy a cabinet off the net no matter what the price. Ya never know what you're getting... until it gets there. Til you replace ballasts, lamps, reinforce the integrity of the cabinet, is it deep enough for flat faces or does it need pan faces, is it the right color, is it extrusion, does it meet UL standards..... you're better off just selling new ones whether you build them or have an authorized shop build them for you. Over the years, I've taken some cabinets in on consignment only. I still have signs from 25/30 years ago. The cost of bringing one up to snuff, isn't all that great a deal over buying new for the customer. I think I've sold maybe 5 signs in the last 20 years that were used.... out of 100's over all.

Auburnpeanut

Personally, I would never buy a cabinet off the net no matter what the price. Ya never know what you're getting... until it gets there. Til you replace ballasts, lamps, reinforce the integrity of the cabinet, is it deep enough for flat faces or does it need pan faces, is it the right color, is it extrusion, does it meet UL standards..... you're better off just selling new ones whether you build them or have an authorized shop build them for you. Over the years, I've taken some cabinets in on consignment only. I still have signs from 25/30 years ago. The cost of bringing one up to snuff, isn't all that great a deal over buying new for the customer. I think I've sold maybe 5 signs in the last 20 years that were used.... out of 100's over all.

Gino is right. There can be lots of problems with trying to do that. While we have sold several used signs over the years, we typically only resale old signs that were originally built and installed by us. That way we know what we are getting, how old the sign is, condition, etc. But hey if you are willing to do the work and can make a few dollars at it go for it.

WCSign

Thanks for the thoughtful replies guys.. Im definately only getting fresh stuff that I can at least see a pic of it in action and see it before I buy.

so avoid signtronix? Who makes good ones?

Stanton

Used signs get dropped off at the metal recycle yard on the way back to the shop.
They are trash.

If it was a pylon display, I keep the pipes.

I still charge for disposal. :Big Laugh