• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Hotronix, or new Vesta Heat Press?

priusjames

Hello-

I'm torn about a decision I have to make today...buy a "very lightly used" Hotronix stx20 for a thousand bucks out the door, or a brand new Vesta for about $650 plus tax (almost 9%).

Hotronix is a clamshell unit, for $1,000 and no tax...pretty much nothing more to say (unless somebody has *anything* negative to report...please chime in!)

Vesta 16x20 model is available with different bases, the median price is about $600 averaged between the three options listed below:
(a) Threaded (don't know why it's called that, but it means you can turn the shirt around and print in different places without removing from plate)
(b) Slide Out (clamshell with sliding lower deck/drawer(?))
(c) with lower swappable attachments for label and sleeves

It appears the Vesta units got mixed reviews here early on, but the more recent reviews seem favorable. I can afford to buy either, am really tempted to get the Vesta and buy materials with the balance.

I'm basically starting a vinyl/sublimation cutting/printing/apparel shop...I'm starting small, to learn the ins and outs, before marketing (etc.)

Question 1: If I have the cash, is the hotronix a "slam dunk" over Vesta?

Question 2: If Vesta is "as good" for my needs, I'm torn on which package to get. (a)Threadable sounds neat, but a potential knuckle burner, (b)Slide-out seems like a knuckle saver and maybe a smart compromise, and the (c) Changeable attachments seem more flexible.

I have to drive about an hour to get the Hotronix, the Vesta is much closer to home.

Should this be an easy answer, or have I basically just hit on what everybody else has a hard time deciding, too?

What am I not considering?

Thanks

James

Dakotagrafx

Never heard of Vesta but Hotronix are cast iron solid IMHO. many times you can find the old Hotronix swingers used for under 800.

binki

if you see the hotronix working then go for it. these are solid machines. there is no way you are getting a 16x20 press for 600 that has any quality to it.

Mike_Koval

go with a working hotronix. you wont be sorry. The cheapies are ok if you are pressing here and there a few times a week, but nothing for day to day usage. Temperature inconsistencies across the platen and uneven pressure make for not so successful transfers.

priusjames

Thanks for the feedback...I bought the Hotronix unit, it was in mint condition. He threw in several (large) rolls of heat transfer vinyl, too.

Just one step closer to retirement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 230