• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Roland machines, how much do they worth ? TrueVis VG2 54"

Printer101

I don't have much experience personally. Basically I'm a rookie. I only ever worked with Rolan Versacamm which I bough couple years ago, to print wall decals. It was all good, till it stoped printing gray colors.
My friend bough truevis vg2 this January, they wanted to have their own small business. But it didn't go anywhere and now she wants to see the machine.
What is the aftermarket price can be for it ? She basically haven't used the machine, but did maintenance like cleanings and such. I haven't seen the printer personally yet, but I assume it should be in pretty good condition.
What do you guys thinking about TrueVis VG2 ? Is this machine good or not, easy to maintain? how much would you pay for it ?
I called couple of companies who trade used equipment and it goes from 500$ ( because no one buys those machines) to max half the original price ( if you find local customer who is ready to take it).

I was really happy with my versacamm till it started giving me grief by not printing grays. I'm ready to throw it out of the window.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
My best suggestion is see what is currently on the market and the prices their asking in your local area. The VG2 is still a newer model, some dealers are even still selling new ones, as the VG3's only came out a few months ago. She should be able to still get a good price as long as the machine is in good shape.

emhmotorsports

Are you looking to buy it? Or asking for a friend? ;-) I recently picked up a VG-640 after searching the past couple years for used machines. The VG series seems to be a bit rare on the used market compared to other Roland models, so it's hard to gauge the dollar value. There is a lot of bad blood out there over these machines - Roland seemed to make some poor choices and/or had quality control issues. Lots of horror stories of machines being so bad they were bought back by dealers. I suspect this has scared a lot of people away from them. I actually used this information to my advantage when negotiating on mine, so your friend probably wouldn't like me. ;-) From what I've read, the VG2 has started gaining more favorable comments as it seemed Roland addressed a few issues with the VG. I think the toughest sell with the VG2 is that it doesn't have "service mode" which would allow a do-it-yourselfer looking for a good deal on decent printer to better control their maintenance costs. My VG still runs the old TR ink, and so having service mode was a god-send in my case.

If you have proof that it was well-maintained and has been running without issue, I think the case for the VG/VG2 gets much better in a buyer's eye since it's more assurance that it isn't going immediately cost them a lot of money to keep running. When working, they print amazingly, which is a good selling point - but the counter balance to that is if something goes wrong, it could get expensive (and time consuming waiting for service personnel) quick. I was drawn to the VG series because they were going for a bit less than older Rolands, but yet were newer and more likely to have OEM parts available for longer into the future. I suspect the used VG buyer market is very narrow; if you can find the right person, 1/2 of MSRP might be an achievable selling price.

Zoogee World

Are you looking to buy it? Or asking for a friend? ;-) I recently picked up a VG-640 after searching the past couple years for used machines. The VG series seems to be a bit rare on the used market compared to other Roland models, so it's hard to gauge the dollar value. There is a lot of bad blood out there over these machines - Roland seemed to make some poor choices and/or had quality control issues. Lots of horror stories of machines being so bad they were bought back by dealers. I suspect this has scared a lot of people away from them. I actually used this information to my advantage when negotiating on mine, so your friend probably wouldn't like me. ;-) From what I've read, the VG2 has started gaining more favorable comments as it seemed Roland addressed a few issues with the VG. I think the toughest sell with the VG2 is that it doesn't have "service mode" which would allow a do-it-yourselfer looking for a good deal on decent printer to better control their maintenance costs. My VG still runs the old TR ink, and so having service mode was a god-send in my case.

If you have proof that it was well-maintained and has been running without issue, I think the case for the VG/VG2 gets much better in a buyer's eye since it's more assurance that it isn't going immediately cost them a lot of money to keep running. When working, they print amazingly, which is a good selling point - but the counter balance to that is if something goes wrong, it could get expensive (and time consuming waiting for service personnel) quick. I was drawn to the VG series because they were going for a bit less than older Rolands, but yet were newer and more likely to have OEM parts available for longer into the future. I suspect the used VG buyer market is very narrow; if you can find the right person, 1/2 of MSRP might be an achievable selling price.
Are you still able to get TR Inks? My local dealer told me Roland discontinued the production of them, therefore we were forced to upgrade to the TR2 inks.

emhmotorsports

Are you still able to get TR Inks? My local dealer told me Roland discontinued the production of them, therefore we were forced to upgrade to the TR2 inks.
I lied. I actually use aftermarket inks for the 7 colors. White is only available in TR, and I have to scour the open market for it. Fortunately, it's not a color I use a ton of. Ultimately, it is what will lead me to doing the TR2 upgrade - I'm hoping to get at least 6 months of problem-free running first. 2 months down, 4 to go...

slipperyfrog

if you are planning on doing your own service, then stay away! Service mode is only accessible by an authorised Roland tech. Value on the used market is low because of this.
Contact Roland and tell them they are illegally locking down equipment that is out of warranty and you will report to the FTC for right to repair. They will provide you with the service mode unlock and service manual after you sign a hokey disclosure that you are responsible for damages. This will bypass the peck bulls*t and service menu lock out.

Zoogee World

Contact Roland and tell them they are illegally locking down equipment that is out of warranty and you will report to the FTC for right to repair. They will provide you with the service mode unlock and service manual after you sign a hokey disclosure that you are responsible for damages. This will bypass the peck bulls*t and service menu lock out.
Really, has this worked for you?

Jim Hill

This entire problem with serving your own printer once it is out of warranty is really crazy!!
You own it and paid for it, yet they still want to control what you can do to it.

Not to mention they that they have devalued your printer my locking everyone out of service mode except their own techs. This seems to be a form of extortion to me.

My Roland SP 300-V prints like it's a brand-new printer even though it's about 18 years.
Old and yes I service my printer because I can enter service mode whenever I need to.

Finding replacement parts is a little harder, but they are out there thanks to many companies making replacement parts.

I really do not like the newer Roland printers for many different reasons one being they lock you out of service mode.

The only logical reason I can think of is that they hope to force you to purchase a new printer from them again.

Just my opinion. Jim

emhmotorsports

Please tell us more. I'm curious about this as well. I can't even get the local dealer to return my calls (when I want to give them money!), so curious how you got Roland to respond...

emhmotorsports

This entire problem with serving your own printer once it is out of warranty is really crazy!!
You own it and paid for it, yet they still want to control what you can do to it.

Not to mention they that they have devalued your printer my locking everyone out of service mode except their own techs. This seems to be a form of extortion to me.
These are the results of a bunch of people getting together in a room and discussing ways they can make more money this year. It's an inevitable conclusion if you feel your customers are as captive as fish in a barrel. I don't have a lot of hope it's going to get better. Many people don't seem to get that angry about it, and just seems more and more manufacturers are signing up to the idea.

slipperyfrog

Please tell us more. I'm curious about this as well. I can't even get the local dealer to return my calls (when I want to give them money!), so curious how you got Roland to respond...
I sent in a support inquiry with the link to the FTC and the wording included below that was then attached to my Case support number. The just of the conversation going like this:
Case Details

Case Number: XXXXXXX
Case Created:
2/15/2022

Serial: XXXXXXX
Model:
VG-540
Warranty Status: Expired

Description:
Please provide instructions to unlock the service panel for my upgraded VG-540. The machine service lock is against the current FTC right to repair policies.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...forcement-against-illegal-repair-restrictions

REPLY FROM ROLAND:
Thank you for your support inquiry.

We are currently reviewing your request with our legal team. We will reply to your request within 2 weeks.

If you need immediate assistance with service, please contact your selling dealer.

Regards,

Product Support
Roland DGA

REPY BACK TO ROLAND:
Your "legal" team does not need 2 weeks to review this. It is pretty straightforward that you are restricting the right to repair. I look forward to your instructions on the procedure to unlock the service panel by the end of this business week or I'll simply request a case# with the FTC.

Regards,

REPLY FROM ROLAND:
Please reply to this email acknowledging that you have read the statement below:

By agreeing to receive service access and work on your own printer, you relieve Roland DGA and its affiliates of any liability for loss, inconvenience or damage, including special, incidental or consequential damages, including lost profits, cost of substitute equipment, lost downtime or injury to property resulting from the use of inability to use the RolandDG product. In addition, we are currently not offering remote service assistance to non-certified Roland Technicians.

Once I receive email confirmation, I will call you to review service access. Please also provide a direct phone number I can call you.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX

REPLY BACK TO ROLAND WITH ACCEPTANCE:
" By agreeing to receive service access and work on your own printer, you relieve Roland DGA and its affiliates of any liability for loss, inconvenience or damage, including special, incidental or consequential damages, including lost profits, cost of substitute equipment, lost downtime or injury to property resulting from the use of inability to use the RolandDG product. In addition, we are currently not offering remote service assistance to non-certified Roland Technicians. "

Yes I agree to this

CONCLUSION:
After responding that I agreed to the above I was sent a link to sheet instructions for unlocking the Service Menu without PECK2 in two different ways. They also provided the service manual in pdf format upon request and the schematic of the machine for parts breakdown.

SUMMATION:
When it comes to out of warranty machines that you own Roland is out to lunch that they have any right to lock you out. This is simply a ploy to suck money out of you or force an upgrade. Yes you assume the risk of wrecking something on your machine but if I want to make a boat anchor out of a wide format I own then that is my decision not theirs.

Attachments

• roland no peck.png
    roland no peck.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 94

Zoogee World

I sent in a support inquiry with the link to the FTC and the wording included below that was then attached to my Case support number. The just of the conversation going like this:
Case Details

Case Number: XXXXXXX
Case Created:
2/15/2022

Serial: XXXXXXX
Model:
VG-540
Warranty Status: Expired

Description:
Please provide instructions to unlock the service panel for my upgraded VG-540. The machine service lock is against the current FTC right to repair policies.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...forcement-against-illegal-repair-restrictions

REPLY FROM ROLAND:
Thank you for your support inquiry.

We are currently reviewing your request with our legal team. We will reply to your request within 2 weeks.

If you need immediate assistance with service, please contact your selling dealer.

Regards,

Product Support
Roland DGA

REPY BACK TO ROLAND:
Your "legal" team does not need 2 weeks to review this. It is pretty straightforward that you are restricting the right to repair. I look forward to your instructions on the procedure to unlock the service panel by the end of this business week or I'll simply request a case# with the FTC.

Regards,

REPLY FROM ROLAND:
Please reply to this email acknowledging that you have read the statement below:

By agreeing to receive service access and work on your own printer, you relieve Roland DGA and its affiliates of any liability for loss, inconvenience or damage, including special, incidental or consequential damages, including lost profits, cost of substitute equipment, lost downtime or injury to property resulting from the use of inability to use the RolandDG product. In addition, we are currently not offering remote service assistance to non-certified Roland Technicians.

Once I receive email confirmation, I will call you to review service access. Please also provide a direct phone number I can call you.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX

REPLY BACK TO ROLAND WITH ACCEPTANCE:
" By agreeing to receive service access and work on your own printer, you relieve Roland DGA and its affiliates of any liability for loss, inconvenience or damage, including special, incidental or consequential damages, including lost profits, cost of substitute equipment, lost downtime or injury to property resulting from the use of inability to use the RolandDG product. In addition, we are currently not offering remote service assistance to non-certified Roland Technicians. "

Yes I agree to this

CONCLUSION:
After responding that I agreed to the above I was sent a link to sheet instructions for unlocking the Service Menu without PECK2 in two different ways. They also provided the service manual in pdf format upon request and the schematic of the machine for parts breakdown.

SUMMATION:
When it comes to out of warranty machines that you own Roland is out to lunch that they have any right to lock you out. This is simply a ploy to suck money out of you or force an upgrade. Yes you assume the risk of wrecking something on your machine but if I want to make a boat anchor out of a wide format I own then that is my decision not theirs.
Awesome. I wonder if this would work for us Canadians too.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
after you sign a hokey disclosure that you are responsible for damages.
Which is insulting to their own customers. I've helped 1000's of people fix their own printers over the years. With the right information, patience, and a reassurance that they are capable of doing it, most people can fix their own printer.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Wow, good on you for pulling that off! Although it is crazy that you have to jump through a specific set of hoops to get a machine that you own unlocked so you can service it yourself.

I wonder if this would be the same for Canon/Oce printers.........they need a tech/service key to access all the service features. I have heard of some people taking the tech training course and getting their own key, but that seems a bit excessive.

Jim Hill

For me the day the local Roland dealer service manager told me that my printer is a legacy printer and that they would no longer service it I was fine with everything he said until he told me they would also no longer sell me any parts for it either which I thought was just another way of trying to get me to purchase a new printer from them.

I had been servicing my own printer for almost five years, and now I was Free to buy my parts from other suppliers which I had been doing anyway.

I also was contacted my a service tech who services other brands of printers who told me if you ever run into a problem with something you can fix or find the part for just give him a call.

Jim