• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used vp540 - lots of ink on printer bottom - should i buy?

moonrakercat

So I've finally decided to buy at either a used vp540 (17K - about 2 yrs old) or a new vs540(23k) - I'm dealing with a very reputable dealer - the used vp he has had alot of small ink splots on the bottom of the stand under the ink bottle - I bent down to look closer and then I looked up at the bottom of the machine - it was covered in black ink quite bad. He says his techs look over and recondition the machine if anything is wrong with it before I buy it. Other than the ink the machine looks to be in very good condition. Obviously this machine has had a big ink leakage problem.

He is offering me 6 months warranty on the used vp540, the vp has 4 heads @1000/head to replace. The new vs540 comes with 2 years warranty and has 1 large head with 8 heads in it - 3200.00(ouch!) to replace the entire head unit (cant replace a single head at a time).

I don't anticipate alot of printing /cutting with the machine for the first year or so - maybe 3-400 sq ft/month.

Is the ink on the printer bottom something I should be concerned about (there is alot of it!). Should I buy new or used ? Help !!:help

cdiesel

Without seeing photos of the ink you're describing, I wouldn't be too worried about it. One of our machines has a slight misalignment of the wiper cover, which sometimes allows splattering of ink inside the machine. No problem at all, but it looks messy.

To be honest though, if you're only going to print 3-400 sf a month, I'd wait to buy. Doesn't make much sense to me to buy a printer with that volume.

Malkin

I'm not sure of the current exchange rate but... that seems high for a machine with potential trouble(the vp540). Half or 2/3's of that might be more appropriate.

Also, you can't replace individual heads on the vs540? that's crazy!

Mainframe

I don't think the price difference justifies buying the used machine. Once the techs come & set the machine up, six months go by very quickly, you have a big chunk of money on the vp & are on your own with any repairs or problems, I don't think it would take many tech trips to rack up the 5 grand difference, also you have to weigh in the resale value after 5 years (or sooner). The vs would be more attractive to someone if you would need to sell it. If you are paying on this thing for 5 years, it is only a grand a year to guard yourself from another persons headaches. I cast my vote for new, the margin is too close here, if the vp was half the price I might say go for it. Also without really looking into it I would imagine the vs has hidden upgrades & refinements you can't see but are there just from the evolution of building these machines year after year. As for the ink spillage, I can't advise you on that, but I would consider it a red flag for sure. Good luck.

cha88

buy new...you will thank yourself... like the other have said... resale... peace of mind, support, warrenty... all well worth it...espcially when you divide it up over the course of 5 years... not much difference in price

moonrakercat

I'm not sure of the current exchange rate but... that seems high for a machine with potential trouble(the vp540). Half or 2/3's of that might be more appropriate.

Also, you can't replace individual heads on the vs540? that's crazy!

Yes that was a big one for me about the heads - 3200 vs 1000 - the new vs replaces the vp - they are very close in speed old vp prints 55sqft/hr@ 720x720 dpi and the new vs prints 90 sq ft hr @ 540x720 dpi. But the 2 year warranty with the new one is a big plus.

The only reason I'm jumping into the printer now is that I have a big single job lined up that will basically pay alot towards paying things off.

Thanks for all the replies - I'm really thinking about things here.

Malkin

A vp540 is a great machine and works well so long as you are not as high-volume shop. I would consider buying new though.

We bought 1 year old display model that came with 1 year warranty and paid less than what you are considering.

moonrakercat

A vp540 is a great machine and works well so long as you are not as high-volume shop. I would consider buying new though.

We bought 1 year old display model that came with 1 year warranty and paid less than what you are considering.

Wow ! if the 17 is high for the used is 23 right for the newer vs ? Right now from what I understand (the exchange rate is pretty well on par) the us prices and cdn prices are the same.

Mason

Too much money for the used machine.
The ink could be the result of a bad line or the pump let go at one point and has been replaced.

BUY A NEW MACHINE.

tomence

For 17K they should include 2 year warranty. That's what my supplier and Roland Dealer includes in their prices.

Here is an example of the one that just sold and it sold for less than what is advertised on their website, i think they sold this one for 16K including 2 year warranty on parts and labor.

http://www.signoutletstore.com/99875f08f8d10be3354640d5b4d348a1

Also got a quote from them for a VS-640 for $24000 out the door.

I'm on board with mason... The ink would be from a bad pump or from one of the lines bursting... You would be able to remove the front panel and more then likely see if there is ink on the inside of the machine around the pump. If there is it's 99% that the pump went bad and they replaced it.. No big deal.. I replaced 3 pumps in my sp series before they came out with one that didn't burn out so easy. Since the upgrade aprox 3-4 years I have had no problems...

I would go for it if the print heads are clear and in alignment. There are a lot of shops going out of business, and you can always find one cheaper then new but not always from a reputable dealer that is going to offer you a warranty.