• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using all of the laminate

CKCUSTOMKC

Does anyone have a good use for left over laminate? Like using what is left on the roll when you have say less than 6ft left? I'm trying to be as efficient as possible but I do understand there is always waste.

Also does anyone know of a good method to calculate how much laminate is left on a roll? Like using the circumference or something to calculate the remainder of a roll?

CanuckSigns

we have a fladbed applicator (rollsroller) so when the laminate rolls get too short for the roll laminator, we can use the rolls roller to apply them to shorter prints, you can do this with a standard laminator as well.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
You can donate scraps to a school - it's like gold to them. Also, I save media cores and use them when laminating. Since they always get tape on them, I like to cut a chunk of scrap lam and put it around the middle, so the tape comes off easier.
For determining how much you have: I have a formula for measuring the last few feet on a roll. I've posted it here a couple of times. It requires a digital caliper. I'll see if I can find one of the threads I posted it on and share the link. I use my "formula" almost everyday. It works really well.

Boudica

f you are trying to figure out how much media is left on a roll, there is a thread that covers this pretty well: https://signs101.com/threads/the-dreaded-stock-take.161295/#post-1498633

My system: we write down in the corner of the media how much is left - then we can see at a glance how much is left.
For when we don't know what's left on a roll, I have a system. I explained this in the afore mentioned thread, but I'll copy and paste it here too. FWIW - I've tried the calculators mentioned, but they came out with odd results. I trust my method - I've been using it for years...

1. With the digital caliper, set it to mm. Measure the Thickness of the material left on the roll - minus the core. (call this number A)
2. measure the thickness of the material - just one layer this time. (Call this number B)
Divide: A/B = C
Now take C and multiply by 11 (the usual diameter of the core). Divide that by 12 = equals how many feet are left on that roll. I always subtract 3 (ft) from that for a little cushion.

Edit: to add... this works especially well with laminate - our laminator does not keep track of how much we've used ie no number to write down. So when I have a "scrap" roll, and it looks there might be enough to do the job - but not sure and don't want to trash the print - I can figure out if I will make it. Sometimes I'm just not in a gambling mood, so it's nice to have a way to be certain.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Does anyone have a good use for left over laminate? Like using what is left on the roll when you have say less than 6ft left? I'm trying to be as efficient as possible but I do understand there is always waste.

Also does anyone know of a good method to calculate how much laminate is left on a roll? Like using the circumference or something to calculate the remainder of a roll?
I might of figured it out for you. Hope it works.

Attachments

• 26c7e1c3f09e0609111eae6003837d3a.jpg
    26c7e1c3f09e0609111eae6003837d3a.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 119

Boudica

Using a Big Squeegee I laminate short runs of labels.
For short piddly projects, this is where I like to use even the shortest of rolls/scraps. If it's like 2- 6 ft', I'll lay it out on the table, roll out the lam and cut an appropriate and "safe" coverage length. Then tape a hinge and run through the laminator. If it's really small, I might do it by hand, it would depend on the materials.