• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Ink Fume Air Filtration Options - Bofa Print Pro + Others?

Alamo

Looking for suggestions for the most efficient solution to run air filtration by our Vanguard UV Printer. After printing a couple boards it starts to get fumey inside. By the end of the day it's borderline unbearable. It's a 1600 sq ft room so keeping the fumes contained is one challenge. I saw they make a Bofa Print Pro Air Filtration unit but would love to hear some real word suggestions on what people are currently using and what works. Our energy efficiency in the building is already low (old construction, old heaters, poor insulation) so we'd prefer to not just open doors/windows especially in the winter. Thanks in advance for any input!

garyroy

We too use an Island Air scrubber for our eco-solvent printers. Very effective. We love em.
They are expensive new, about $5000, but we bought ours used off Craigslist for about $1000 each +-.
Charcoal changes are about $350. We do ours every 2 years.

Use the search function on this forum for other detailed threads on this subject. In the meantime, you might want to wear an N95 while printing.
I want a Vanguard printer but can't wrap my mind around that kind of air pollution every day from a UV printer.
Let us know what you decided to do.

I'd love to hear how other flatbed users are handling their air scrubbing.

GC Decor

Super Printer
We had vents installed by our uv printers to the roof with small exhaust blowers. Easy fix and doesn’t cost much and no filters to worry about. I’m sure you know but most UV equipment puts off some heat so we barley notice any change in our bill. We have ours setup with switches and flip them on when needed. Might have $1k in to it with the cost of the blowers & vent install, we did the electrical - saved alittle bit there.

rjssigns

Talk to your local HVAC shop about an ERV(energy recovery ventilator). Either that or a proper air exchange setup with ducted MUA(make up air).
I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night I just happen to weld for hire for an HVAC contractor.

Superior_Adam

it surprising how bad some of the UV printers can smell. We run 2 EFI UV Printers and can run them both all day and not produce a smell that needs special ventilation or filtering. The building these run in along with our Eco Solvent and UV roll to roll is 2,500 sq ft so not a huge building.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
it surprising how bad some of the UV printers can smell. We run 2 EFI UV Printers and can run them both all day and not produce a smell that needs special ventilation or filtering. The building these run in along with our Eco Solvent and UV roll to roll is 2,500 sq ft so not a huge building.
You have no top vents out of the machines? Usually Efis have them set up.

Superior_Adam

Yeah okay I was thinking hybrids.
The 16H is a hybrid and no ventilation on that either. I can run that thing 8 hours straight sitting right next to it with no issues. Out of all our machines the eco solvent is the one that if it runs for long period of times it smells but nothing else.

Alamo

So we just got our Vanguard a few months ago and when I was searching the depths of the internet and forums for a good uv flatbed, I never even heard of EFI. I would had loved to invest in something that truly had no smell to it, I'm sure these fumes aren't good for us. At the time I was researching, the only flatbed I found that guaranteed no fumes was the HP Latex r2000, but it was also $230k so that was out of reach for us.