• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ValueJet 1204 No ink flowing through lines

chad17

My ValueJet 1204 has stopped printing anything. There is no ink movement in the lines when I do a cleaning or ink charge. I have checked the head fuse and it seemed to be fine. Anyone else have any suggestions on what to do next?

RG

The maintenance station is your problem. How old is it? Put on a new MS or closely examine the MS that's on your printer now. Remove the fixture that holds the cap top. Dis-connect the 2 tubes that go from the cap top into the 2 tubes that go into the top of the pump. See if you can push cleaning fluid through the 2 tubes that go through the pump. Fluid must flow freely through the pump. Push fluid backwards through the 2 tubes connected to the cap top. Push air through the 3rd tube under the cap top. Air must flow freely through this tube. Was there a recent head strike? Make sure that the print head is perfectly parallel to the platen. If not, it can not seal properly onto the cap top. Even if you have a blown fuse, the pump should still suction ink during a cleaning. Good luck!

chad17

I will try this out. I started to think it may be a MS problem but wasn't sure. We originally had some clogged nozzle issues and after trying a head soak we noticed that this problem arose. So we went from lines in the print to not being able to print at all after a head soak. I even put on a new print head but still the same issues. I will look into the MS thanks a lot.

MasterPat

I will try this out. I started to think it may be a MS problem but wasn't sure. We originally had some clogged nozzle issues and after trying a head soak we noticed that this problem arose. So we went from lines in the print to not being able to print at all after a head soak. I even put on a new print head but still the same issues. I will look into the MS thanks a lot.
Also, it could be as simple as the pump. If it is not spining, or if it is not contacting the gear, that is a pretty obvious problem.

chad17

The MS is fairly old so I just ordered a new one. Will put it on tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the guidance. Will update tomorrow.

RG

Hey, Chad, what part of the state are you? You will probably have to do some more soaking to get all of the missing nozzles back after you install the new MS. And, before you run the 1st cleaning cycle, it's a good idea to use a swab and moisten the rubber around the new cap top with cleaning fluid. Doing this helps it to make a good seal on the print head. I bought my 1204 new about 4 years ago. The first thing I did was to remove the right side cover and top cover, permanently. Next, I did away with the waste ink tray and put a bottle beneath the frame for the waste ink to drain into. When I do the once-a-day "short" cleaning, I pull up a chair and watch the waste ink going into the drain bottle. Next, I routed the spit box waste ink to go into the bottle, too. Unless your 1204 is very old, there are holes in the frame under the MS for the waste ink tubing. Once a week I use a syringe to push ink backwards through the waste ink tubes and up into the cap top. Then, I pinch off the wast ink tubes near the end, sop up excess ink in the cap top, park the head, and let it set overnight. I un-pinch it the next morning before I run a cleaning cycle. Every 2 or 3 days, I use a syringe attached to a short piece of pump tubing, and quickly force air through the air tube that is under the cap top. You don't have to remove anything to do this.

chad17

Thanks for the tips RG.
However after putting on the new MS and the new printhead I can still can not get any ink to move in the lines when I do an ink charge. Everything sounds like it pumping good but no ink will move in the lines.

Joe House

Can you syringe ink above the dampers? If so, the problem is in the dampers, the head, the captop or the pump. If all colors are affected, then it's most likely the captop or the pump. Very seldom will all dampers go out at the same time. You can try to syringe between the captop and the pump, it's kind of a pain on that model, but if you pinch off one side with forceps and syringe from the other side, you should get some resistance and eventually ink into the syringe. If you just get air, look to make sure that the cap top seats well with the head, then check for other possible air leaks. the manifold and o-rings at joints are likely culprits.

chad17

yes I can move ink above the dampers, and even below the dampers it just will not go through the head. This is a brand new printhead.

chad17

Do you get stiff resistance when syringing from the cap or do you suck air?

Haven't tried syringing from the cap. Haven't wanted to take the new maintenance system apart. But when I tried to syringe the old pump it would only suck air.

chad17

I just have this feeling that it is some sort of fuse or something not letting the nozzles open in the printhead.

lucasdowden

Check the F2 fuse (you will have to remove the fuse and test it with a voltage meter, you can't tell if it is blown by looking at it).... when you put in the new printhead did you get an error code at all?

chad17

I have checked the F2 as well as the other 2 fuses that are nearby and they all checked out with a continuity meter. No I did not get any error codes. Printer is sitting there waiting to print but no matter what I do I can not get ink to flow through the lines.

RG

Be sure to do what lucasdowden said to do. You might have to push & hold the print head and cap top as far to the right side as they will go. If you suction air, then check whether the head is perfectly parallel to the platen. You should check this anyway.

chad17

When i suctioned at the dampers I can pull ink and fill up the line and damper, but when I reattach the damper to the head the ink starts to flow backwards toward the cartridges and has air bubbles.

chad17

When I suction from the waste tubes I can hear a gurgling noise that sounds like it coming from the pump. I put some solution on top of the capping station and I can pull it through the pump just not the ink.

lucasdowden

try this.... right below the capping station there are 2 black hoses that go into 2 clear hoses and into the pump.... disconnect where they go together and connect the syringe into the black hoses, that will bypass the pump and narrow down the problem....