• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector Logo Size

acothran

I tried searching but didn't find any information. Tonight I traced a logo (from JPEG) in Illustrator. This logo is for vehicle graphics so it will probably end up being printed pretty large. That made me wonder, is there a good, standard size for a vector logo? I know enlarging a vector is not a problem but is there a size you prefer for your logo designs? I assume file size might come into play for email and storage reasons but are their other factors? When someone sends you a vector logo is there a size you expect? I have a feeling this might be completely irrelevant but I thought some of you might have a preference or a method that works for you.

Thanks,
Allen

Letterbox Mike

It's irrelevant with vector images because they're scalable without image degradation. It doesn't matter if it's give to you at 1"x1" and you need it enlarged to 100'x100'. As long as it's a clean vector file anyway.

Raster images are a different animal though...

Flame

It's irrelevant with vector images because they're scalable without image degradation. It doesn't matter if it's give to you at 1"x1" and you need it enlarged to 100'x100'. As long as it's a clean vector file anyway.

Raster images are a different animal though...

Exactly. A 1/4 mile wide vector file has equal amount of points as a 1/16" inch wide vector.

Doesn't affect your filesize. :)

acothran

I knew it didn't matter with a vector (didn't realize about the filesize) but I figured when designing a vector logo, you start with a size (i.e. artboard size in Illustrator). I've been on S101 enough to know that most everyone has a preference or method of doing things. I guess since size doesn't matter (at least on a vector), I was wondering if there is a size you tend to favor when starting a design?

Allen

Pat Whatley

I typically start with a 12" x 18" page size. When I first started using Illustrator that size would fill my screen. I got used to using it and can guess stroke weights and letter sizes fairly accurately based on years of using the same default size.

It's one in an ever growing bag of utterly useless skills.

visualeyez

I usually just use a letter size artboard, mainly for ease of printing. Letter size and stroke are independent of artboard size. I think 100pt stroke is 1" and depending on your font, either 72 or 100pt is 1" letter height.

TheSellOut

I am with visualeyez, like noted above it really doesn't matter, but I am just in a habit of saving logo files and such as a 8.5" x 11". When someone sends me a vector, I could care less on the size as long as it's a clean vector!!

acothran

Thanks for the replies. I probably should've worded my original post differently to say something like: since vectors are scalable and size is irrelevant, what size do you start with when you designing a vector logo. I was just curious.

Allen

MikePro

yup! always easier to do your work in a 8x11 or 11x17 format... just in case you need to print proofs on the fly. still a small enough format that it doesn't take up too much HD space.

vid

8.5" x 11" document size fits my work flow. Like Pat, over the years I've gotten a "best guess" sensibility of stroke weights and point sizes working at that scale. It helps me to speed the process by using the numbers I'm familiar with, rather than trial and error of not working with a consistent size.

Then too, at that size I'm able to manipulate the art on the page to see if it will print and be legible at smaller sizes --- especially logo art.

From there, it's easy enough to kick out different file formats that would be typically be requested by the customer at an appropriate size.

Since I work in Illustrator for logo stuff, I'll blow out the bloat in my swatches, leaving only the "used" colors in the palette.
That's part of my competency meter when I receive files from designers. If they haven't cleaned up the palette, they're a hack :LOL: But it does typically signal that there are other things to look out for in the file.