• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vectorizing software

petepaz

what software if any do you use for vectorizing your artwork. i use the trace/expand option in illustrator but is there something better?
i saw a program at one of the trade shows a few years ago. imagaro z looked pretty good when they demonstrated it. along with vectorizing artwork it also had a font recognition feature .

Terremoto

I've tried a bunch of so called "solutions" and I always revert back to hand tracing. When all is said and done it provides the BEST results.

Dan

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have the Imagaro Z program ... an older version from 2007 and wasn't all that pleased with it. I no longer use it but I rarely auto trace anything anyway. I prefer to create vectors using a Bezier pen, identified type, geometric shapes and path welding/cutout features. There are some many variations in pixel images that, to me, it's easier just to manually interpret what I see than to hope a program will do a decent job of it.

WildWestDesigns

I prefer to create vectors using a Bezier pen, identified type, geometric shapes and path welding/cutout features.

Pretty much would I would suggest here, with the exception that I use the vector tools in my embroidery software. Along the same lines as the Bezier tool, but it inputs a little differently (left click = straight line; right click = curve line). To me nothing beats manual inputs rather it's for graphic vectors or embroidery vectors.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If I'm not going to manually vectorize it I find that Vector Doctor works great as well. Not quite a software but better. :)

Malkin

So far I like the improved tracing function in Illy CS6, but still send to the vector doctor when I need it done better.

OldPaint

I LOVE STREAMLINE 4.0!!!!! its an adobe product, might be whats in illy. and i use COREL X3 TRACE. the only problem i have with tracing programs, they dont do FONTS well. but with STREAMLINE i can erase the fonts or parts i dont want traced prior to tracing, corel you have to do that in photo paint then save it and then trace. also like fred says i use the bezier pen, for the objects working in corel, then reset text with fonts on my computer. heres an example of a built vector i made from a phot i pulled off the net,

Attachments

• YENKO.jpg
    YENKO.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 400aviation.jpg
    400aviation.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 105
  • NICKEY.jpg
    NICKEY.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 98
  • nIEHOFF.jpg
    nIEHOFF.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 101

TammieH

I use Photoshop (Make Work Path then Export To Illustrator) and Illustrator (Trace/Expand)
CS4 at the moment....Depending on the bitmap image that I need to convert...sometimes one will work better than the other...

and then there is the fallback to manually trace for garbage bitmaps.

petepaz

we usually just recreate when we have to or use the trace expand in illust. but just wondering if there was something better and faster
thanks for the input

Baz

I prefer rebuilding overtop a locked image. End results is allot cleaner than a traced object.