• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Lettering Vinyl Options

Blazing_Murph

Hey Everyone,

Just checking in to see if anyone is using a material they really like for cut vehicle lettering/graphics. We currently use Arlon DPF 4600 for our vehicles, it hasn't been bad but it does get a little difficult to work with for smaller lettering and I dont really love how it works with its backing paper. We use eco-solvent inks on our mimaki roll-to-roll, but I'm really just curious what everyone else is using or if there is a stand out favorite right now.

Thanks,
Murph

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
3M Ij180. We had some Avery Easy Apply, but it was really tough to remove the backing, so I stopped using that for print/cut stuff - now I pretty much stick with the 3M

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mostly 3M or Oracal. Once in a while FDC, but we don't like that as much, so it's if we're in a jam.

Stacey K

I like making signs
For cut vinyl I use Oracal or 3M. I only use Avery if I need to color match.

17 years ago I used Avery and I got a bad roll and 6 months after I lettered a vehicle it was peeling off. I was in the process of getting reimbursed from Avery and the guy ended up being arrested for child molestation so I canceled the reimbursement. Not that that has ANYTHING to do with your question LOL

17 years ago I used Avery and I got a bad roll and 6 months after I lettered a vehicle it was peeling off. I was in the process of getting reimbursed from Avery and the guy ended up being arrested for child molestation so I canceled the reimbursement. Not that that has ANYTHING to do with your question LOL

Did the lettering happen to be "FREE CANDY" on the side of a window-less van?

Blazing_Murph

Mostly 3M or Oracal. Once in a while FDC, but we don't like that as much, so it's if we're in a jam.

Appreciate it. We've been drifting away from 3M stuff but still use IJ35 a bit for indoor stuff. Our wrap guy likes his Avery, but I know what you're saying about the cut stuff and backing.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Isnt 4600 a print calendared vinyl? No brand is going to be fun to weed with printed and contour cut small text. You should really use a cut vinyl if at all possible, Oracal 751 is tough to beat IMO. I don't always follow the golden rule but with small printed text on vehicles, you are asking for trouble not using cast. Even the best calendared material will shrink and leave ugly glue lines around all of the lettering but that doesn't always matter either, depends on what you're doing.

Blazing_Murph

Isnt 4600 a print calendared vinyl? No brand is going to be fun to weed with printed and contour cut small text. You should really use a cut vinyl if at all possible, Oracal 751 is tough to beat IMO. I don't always follow the golden rule but with small printed text on vehicles, you are asking for trouble not using cast. Even the best calendared material will shrink and leave ugly glue lines around all of the lettering but that doesn't always matter either, depends on what you're doing.

We definitely use 751 cut vinyls when able, especially dealing with small lettering. Anything id consider a partial wrap we're using wrap/cast vinyls throughout as well. 4600 is mostly getting used for basic lettering/window graphics. Was just curious what everyone was using currently or if I was missing out on any clear favorites. Thanks for the input

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We definitely use 751 cut vinyls when able, especially dealing with small lettering. Anything id consider a partial wrap we're using wrap/cast vinyls throughout as well. 4600 is mostly getting used for basic lettering/window graphics. Was just curious what everyone was using currently or if I was missing out on any clear favorites. Thanks for the input
I use IJ40C and Oracal 3551 for similar and they both weed good with cast or cal laminate. After being backordered on Oracal I have started trying some different Substance material and have really liked it so far. The backing paper is heavy, that may help it be more forgiving when cutting? They will send you samples

Malkin

I love how it's always the awful stories like that, that will stick in your head.

As far as OP's question, Gerber 220 for cut vinyl colors, 3M180c-10 w/ 8518 lam for multi-color stuff, and little to none issues to fix.

Stacey K

I like making signs
But didn't you pay for the roll anyways, so wouldn't you like your money back just the same? Or I guess Lester could have paid up front...

But that's all beside the point, what did the lettering say?!
"No need to come to us, we'll come to you" - he fixed computers LOL I don't want to say who he is but I just looked back on the my job pictures LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're not gonna catch me on that...... but I can think of quite a few members here, that could've been. Just don't know if they're that old ??