• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VENT - Things that annoy you in the print industry.

deegrafix

It seems like every truck lettering job these days is called a wrap. "I want to wrap my truck.", when all they really want is logos on the doors and a little something on the back.

ams

It seems like every truck lettering job these days is called a wrap. "I want to wrap my truck.", when all they really want is logos on the doors and a little something on the back.

Yeah and then it gets you excited, like woo hoo a $3,000 job! Let's get started! then you are told less and less, first it's letters across the sides and doors, then it goes from full color to single color, then they start taking away piece by piece, next thing you know it's a $200 job.

jfiscus

Rap Master
That one guy who has the stock photo site who is an a-hole on the phone. I forgot about how annoying he is...

jfiscus

Rap Master
Also, another thing that drives us nuts here is trying to figure out what exact vehicle the customer has that needs wrapped. They will tell you that it's a Sprinter or Transit, etc and send you a straight on shot of the front and rear, and a real narrow angled shot of the side (because it is parked in a spot next to another vehicle) and you can't tell what wheelbase/length it is. HOW HARD is it to back it out of the spot for a photo??? I deal with this weekly.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
When people think it's no problem to get a full size image (3:4) to fit as a splashback that's 3000mm x 800mm. which to expect a full photo.

T_K

When my supervisor (the Designer, who did an internship in a print shop that barely used their wide format printer once a week, and therefore knows all about printing) touches my equipment while I'm out on an install. Then says "Hey, did you change something on here? It's not working right."

I take a look, and he's loaded the media in crooked, added crop marks on a print & cut order, and had it set to High Quality for a set of throw-away box labels. *sigh*

Don't blame me when you mess with something you don't know how to properly operate. Good news is he's put in his 2-weeks notice. Bad news is I don't know who will be my report-to person.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When my supervisor (the Designer, who did an internship in a print shop that barely used their wide format printer once a week, and therefore knows all about printing) touches my equipment while I'm out on an install. Then says "Hey, did you change something on here? It's not working right."

I take a look, and he's loaded the media in crooked, added crop marks on a print & cut order, and had it set to High Quality for a set of throw-away box labels. *sigh*

Don't blame me when you mess with something you don't know how to properly operate. Good news is he's put in his 2-weeks notice. Bad news is I
don't know who will be my report-to person.

Step up to the boss and make a suggestion....... in your favor. If it's more pay, go get it. My stepson, just did that and got a $3.40 an hour raise in doing so. Over $7,000 a year. If he can do it.... you certainly can. :thumb:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Step up to the boss and make a suggestion....... in your favor. If it's more pay, go get it. My stepson, just did that and got a $3.40 an hour raise in doing so. Over $7,000 a week. If he can do it.... you certainly can. :thumb:
If I was making that kind of money, the amount of bitching I'd do would likely hover around zero.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Here's another! Received a wrap package from a corporation. It's very well organized pdf with links to the actual wrap files. So what's the problem? The pdf has several options to choose from partial to full wrap. We need to check art files for the partial wrap. Zip file is 1.5GB! The full wrap is 3.5GB! Right away I can tell they're probably photoshop files! Yes, that's exactly what they are. I cannot produce cut lines from a photoshop file! Fonts are missing too! I'll have download the fonts then isolate the various elements re-typeset for vector cut lines, hope I can find vector versions of various logos too! What a pia to explain to the customer why an art fee!

NEVER, EVER, DO A WRAP LAYOUT IN PHOTOSHOP! Why couldn't it have been ai? Don't like that either but still better than ps!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...Received a wrap package from a corporation...

Ok, to be fair I have found that the package included fonts and various logos in eps format. The problem with the eps files is that they contain "gradients" or more appropriate terms "fountain fills". Never ever make any logo containing fountain fills an eps. Does not make them universal. I will have to open them in killustrator then save them out as pdf. Still gonna take 1-2 hrs art time to extract the "partial wrap" for a mock up on the vehicle we'll be doing.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Ok, to be fair I have found that the package included fonts and various logos in eps format. The problem with the eps files is that they contain "gradients" or more appropriate terms "fountain fills". Never ever make any logo containing fountain fills an eps. Does not make them universal. I will have to open them in killustrator then save them out as pdf. Still gonna take 1-2 hrs art time to extract the "partial wrap" for a mock up on the vehicle we'll be doing.

My dilemma half the time. I could almost just recreate the entire job quicker than it takes to "fix" customer files half the time.

Vinyldog

Can you come measure this for us? Because we can't lay a metal strip with a series of numbers on it across something and read the corresponding number to it's edge. It's just too hard.

I would think the just enjoy seeing me but, lol that can't be it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Can you come measure this for us? Because we can't lay a metal strip with a series of numbers on it across something and read the corresponding number to it's edge. It's just too hard.

I would think the just enjoy seeing me but, lol that can't be it.

I hate when people say "It's about 1.2m" About? i'll go and measure it... It's 1220mm :banghead:

Warmoth

Not sure if this is unique to my area, but "Custom Yeti Cups" have been all the rage for several months now. I just can't take many more of these customers.

They want some over-the-top custom design, and of course, pay next to nothing. Because after all, "It's just a little sticker".

Then there's the guys who specialize in making these for other people, who come to us for stencils / decals, they present several pages of names / pictures they need cut-out at 2.5" tall (Full detail Please!)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Not sure if this is unique to my area, but "Custom Yeti Cups" have been all the rage for several months now...

Which would move any normal non-yeti human to inquire: Just what in the name of Zeus' butthole is a yeti cup?

A cup used by yetis?
An award given away by yetis?
An award given to yetis? Perhaps for the most climbers consumed in a single season.
An award given in memory of some yeti or another?
An appliance designed to protect the sports-yetis' cojones?
A new size of beverage at Starbucks even larger than the 'humongoid colossal'?

The mind boggles, tell us...

Warmoth

Which would move any normal non-yeti human to inquire: Just what in the name of Zeus' butthole is a yeti cup?

A cup used by yetis?
An award given away by yetis?
An award given to yetis? Perhaps for the most climbers consumed in a single season.
An award given in memory of some yeti or another?
An appliance designed to protect the sports-yetis' cojones?
A new size of beverage at Starbucks even larger than the 'humongoid colossal'?

The mind boggles, tell us...

:Big Laugh I wish they were as amusing as any of those things. It's just a metal cup. I really don't get it. "It'll keep ice like, FOREVER!!!" ....cool, I guess?

Random googling yielded this. Not my work, but pretty much the same kinda lame stuff
attachment.php

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.904704629_o2mo.jpg
    il_fullxfull.904704629_o2mo.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 382