• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaCAMM Printer

James Chrimes

I have been using a Gerber Edge machine for the past four years. I bought it used and it has been a good machine but I am thinking about getting a VersaCAMM Printer Cutter from Roland the thought is that it will work in larger format and run fo a lot less money. (MORE PROFFIT) Any feedback on the versacamm would be greatly welcomed before I take this plunge. Also I am looking at Flexi Pro 7 thanks.

Derf

The versacamm is a great printer however you may also consider a Mutoh or Seiko. All three printers are great printers they just have there own personality, price and options. I have the Mutho Falcon Outdoor 48" and love it but if you want a cutter/printer all in one the Versacamm is the way to go. I prefer to do my cutting offline so I can print & cut at the same time.

James Chrimes

Thanks For The Input I Will Still Have My Omega Software And A Gerber Gs15plus And A Gerber Hs15 Plus To Cut Vinyl With. I Just Think That Gerbers Ego Has Let Them Fall Behind Some Of The Compition.

advsign22

I have a versacamm and I do have one regret. If I knew then what I know now I would not have purchased a 30" versacamm. I would have gotten the 54" versacamm.

Barry

advsign said:
I have a versacamm and I do have one regret. If I knew then what I know now I would not have purchased a 30" versacamm. I would have gotten the 54" versacamm.
I agree, for the $5k extra the 54" model is well worth it. The 54" Versacamm was not avaible when I got my machine.. :( I will be upgrading to the 54" model here soon though.

James Chrimes

Does The 54" Offer That Much More? I Am A Small Shop In A Town Of About 8ooo People. I Don't Know If There Is That Much Of A Demand For Much Larger. There Are Four Shops In Town (legit) One Of Witch I Would Call Compitition. Three Shops Use Gerber Omega And Only One Other Has A Printer And They Also Use A Gerber Edge Machine. Any Ideas On How To Expand My Offerings By Going To A Larger Format?

High Octane

I have the 54" and wouldn't do it any other way...I love it. The resolution is killer...I dig the print cut combo..very affordable to run..I have no problem with the speed at which it runs...perhaps if you were a dedicated digital print shop you might go for the higher end faster machines but this works great for me. Roland support is great..When I bought mine a tech came out and gave me a days training on the machine. Nice to throw in a full size banner and just let it go...The only downfall (if you want to call it that) is you have to be in a very clean room...dust, hair, etc. gets in the prints very easy..You really need to clean your material well before printing...at least I do...But it's not too much hassle...Anyway I think it would be a great choice for you to look at...just my to cents...H.O.

Barry

SIGN SOLUTIONS said:
Does The 54" Offer That Much More? I Am A Small Shop In A Town Of About 8ooo People. I Don't Know If There Is That Much Of A Demand For Much Larger. There Are Four Shops In Town (legit) One Of Witch I Would Call Compitition. Three Shops Use Gerber Omega And Only One Other Has A Printer And They Also Use A Gerber Edge Machine. Any Ideas On How To Expand My Offerings By Going To A Larger Format?

The biggest difference is the 54" machine gives you the ability to print large banners. There is not to much call for 30" banners. So with the smaller machine you’re basically giving up the large banner business which can be very lucrative.

High Octane said:
The only downfall (if you want to call it that) is you have to be in a very clean room...dust, hair, etc. gets in the prints very easy..You really need to clean your material well before printing...at least I do...But it's not too much hassle...Anyway I think it would be a great choice for you to look at...just my to cents...H.O.

Im now using the new Triangle/NuSign Mild solvent bulk ink system and I know longer have the issues of the fish eyes when printing over dust. Not only that the new ink is much more durible with better color. I will be posting up a full review of the ink on www.printingdigital.net here in a few weeks.

Barry

High Octane said:
Barry how much does this ink system cost and how much is the cost per sq.foot to use it? Thanks, H.O.
The 4 color system for the versacamm is $1,595 & the 6 color system is $1,995. Both systems come with stand, bottles, 1 liter of each color, new pumps, dampers, & wipers. It is not necessary to change out the pumps or dampers (I have not), but you do need to change the wipers as the Roland ones dont hold up to the new ink.

Ink is $145 a liter which equates to about 5 Roland 220ml Carts. Remember there is about 20ml of ink left when you throw away the carts. Ink is basically about 60% cheaper.

The ink is MUCH more durible than the OEM inks and colors print brighter as well.

skyhigh

What do you guys think about an HP (uv) for digital printing? Weighing everything into consideration, I have been thinking this may be the way to go. Indoor posters and banners would be ok..... it can print to banner material and vinyl. Using the opus registration cutter, I would be able to contour cut...... 2 yr outdoor with lamination....cheaper to run...
Looking for feedback on this.... thanks.

iSign

I don't know much about other printers, but hopefully the HP you're looking at is better then the HP5000 that Kinkos uses. It can print banners, but the ink rubs right off when your client carries the banner out to the car if they are not careful. It also fades way too fast to really offer it as an outdoor solution.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Also not sure why you feel the operating cost is lower. It is in fact considerably higher due to it requiring special coated stock. I'll grant you that it can make a return and pay for itself and has a lower purchase price, but what you can't do with it and what it will run you extra in materials is going to cost you that savings every couple of months.

I also wouldn't put too much faith in the two years with lamination claim and wonder if you have priced a laminating machine and the cost of laminating film into the equation.

skyhigh

Well Fred, I have done a bit of research on printers..... I have mostly concentrated on the versacamm, the mutoh falcon, the mimaki jv3. I'm sure you allready know that if your gonna use the versacamm for vehicle graphics your gonna have to buy that laminator anyways.
The ink for the Mimaki is cheaper than the versacamm.......because of the way its sold.

Mimaki ink 128.00/440= .29 per ml
Roland Ink 75.00/220 = .35 per ml

Barry did mention about this new Triangle/NuSign inks, which I know nothing about........ does that affect the roland warranty?

I don't know about the mutoh inks but I'm sure it would need laminated for vehicle graphics also as its an eco-solvent.......... so I'm told. Would the solvent (mimaki) need lamination for vehicles??? Fred?

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
skyhigh said:
Well Fred, I have done a bit of research on printers..... I have mostly concentrated on the versacamm, the mutoh falcon, the mimaki jv3. I'm sure you allready know that if your gonna use the versacamm for vehicle graphics your gonna have to buy that laminator anyways.
The ink for the Mimaki is cheaper than the versacamm.......because of the way its sold.

Mimaki ink 128.00/440= .29 per ml
Roland Ink 75.00/220 = .35 per ml

Barry did mention about this new Triangle/NuSign inks, which I know nothing about........ does that affect the roland warranty?

I don't know about the mutoh inks but I'm sure it would need laminated for vehicle graphics also as its an eco-solvent.......... so I'm told. Would the solvent (mimaki) need lamination for vehicles??? Fred?

From what I've read, mostly from Barry's posts, the bulk ink system is a multi winner ... it lowers costs, improves quality and durability, and increases convenience. I'm a fan of bulk ink since getting a desktop Epson with a bulk ink system and seeing my costs drop to 20% - 25% of what they were.

Restating what Barry has said without direct knowledge, Triangle picks up the warranty for anything the ink touches and Roland is responsible for the rest of the machine warranty.

The issue with non-solvent-ecosolvent inks such as used by HP is the requirement for special films as well as the inherent lower resistance to sun fade. Yes, you are correct that any of them should be laminated for vehicle use. We mostly Edge print and we always add either a laminate or a clear UV-abrasion guard overprint when it is for vehicle marking or windows.

In a perfect world, one would have the HP and the solvent printer and an Edge and use each where it was most appropriate. If you're not living in a perfect world and have to pick one that is the most useful all around, then it would be the solvent or eco-solvent printer. In either world, the functionality, ease of use and ability to generate the highest return on investment should, IMHO, far outweigh the selling price of the device.

skyhigh

thanks for the input Fred and Doug........One thing I have learned is that every salesman will tell you their machine is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm still confused as to which printer would best suit my needs. I'm leaning towards the Mutoh .......... today that is.

Does anyone know if there is a bulk ink system available for the Mutoh Falcon?

Barry

skyhigh said:
thanks for the input Fred and Doug........One thing I have learned is that every salesman will tell you their machine is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm still confused as to which printer would best suit my needs. I'm leaning towards the Mutoh .......... today that is.

Does anyone know if there is a bulk ink system available for the Mutoh Falcon?
The bulk ink will work in any of the printers, its just the matter if there are profiles for that system for the Rip that you are using.