• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm problem...

Ken

Here's a message I sent to my Roland tech tonite:
On my sp300 the ribbon cable that follows the print-head back and forth across the carriage is showing some wear.
The mylar? layers have separated from the actual wire cable. It's been going on for a while now. But today one of those plastic layers got caught up as the cutting head was moving back and forth. It caused the machine to cease and desist from any further work.
I managed to get the cable back into it's proper location. Parked the heads in the capping station.
So, what to do?
Can I replace the ribbon cable myself?
Can I use silicone glue to re-unite the plastic layers and the actual wire cable and continue using the machine?
Do you have the replacement parts?
Yes, I have work flow that is now stopped.
So please reply asap.
Also... should I now be looking at replacing, wipers( I have one set of those), the sponge, other parts? I just replaced both blades the other day.
Thanks.
Ken Beyer
Signs That Work !
Eagle Bay, BC

Any thoughts, similar problem from anyone?
Thanks.

Kenny

Ken, the ribbon cable is sandwiched between (2) seperate peices of clear plastic strip (mylar) by design, and not attached. They are there to guide/protect the ribbon cable. What happens is ink overspray/dust settles between them, causing the clear strips to stick to the ribbon cable, and can cause binding. This is an area that requires periodic cleaning with an isopropyl pad.

Did the jam cut/crimp the ribbon cable? You may be able to straighten & clean the cable/strips and get it back to printing until the tech can inspect it.

If your wipers are cupped/curved, go ahead and replace them. If you have a new misting-sponge, and yours is looking saturated, go ahead and replace it.

If the ribbon did NOT break any wires during the snag, you should be able to place some lamination around the old lamination. Not sure about the Rolands, but the ribbons that we have seen actually do have these layers glued to the themselves and therefore are a part of the ribbon.

Ken

Here's a photo..

There is never any mention of maintaining this in the manual...grr..
Doesn't seem to be cut, just kinked. It was making some slapping noise before this all happened. So listen for that and take the hint ( like I didn't)
Cheers!
Ken

Attachments

• sp300.jpg
    sp300.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 265

Kenny

There is never any mention of maintaining this in the manual...grr..
Doesn't seem to be cut, just kinked. It was making some slapping noise before this all happened. So listen for that and take the hint ( like I didn't)
Cheers!
Ken

The only reason I know about it is when my tech came out to replace the recalled pump a few weeks ago (mine turned 1yr old on the 15th), he went over several things that I needed to keep an eye on, this being one of them. He said the louder than normal "slapping" noise is the tell that somethings not right.

That looks pretty bad, but you may get lucky. The only thing I would be concerned about is the bend causing the cable to go off-track and cause another jam.

Good luck with it...keep us posted.

Ken

I'm thinking...clean up the cable and protective mylar? ( still not sure if that is what it is made of) then apply a strip of high-perf vinyl to both sidels of the cable where the kinks are. It's kinda weird 'cause the cut head has a protrusion that runs between the cable "race/path" and is a natural to snag anything that is not perfectly in place.
Just musing...
Ken

Mason

Its a fairly common occurance, probably a design flaw with regard to that cable, I had the same problem previously and had the cable replaced but recently have noticed it starting to act up again. just keep an eye on it in the future and hope they devise a better cable.

Ken

My tech guy says it's not uncommon on the sp300. He's done about 6 of them over the last 2 yrs. Sending the part( with instructions) plus the new pump for the one that was recalled.
I didn't have any trouble with the pump myself. Should I replace it now or just wait?
Thanks...Ken

cdiesel

Might as well do the pump now before you end up with ink all over the floor. We had the exact same problem with our SP300 about a year ago. The techs came out and actually taped the mylar guides together. They shouldn't have done this, and after it kinking and stopping the printer three times, I ended up taking the whole thing apart and cleaning with alcohol. Worked like a charm up until the time we sold it about six months later.

Ken

Thanks Chris.
Yes, actually to get access to the cable did you have to disassemble damn near everything or was there an easy way to get at it..I guess not, from your description....
When you replaced the pump did you have to purge all the ink lines with cleaning fluid?
Thanks...Ken

cdiesel

You know, the tech replaced the pump, so I'm not sure about that. He wasn't there for long though, so I really doubt it. As far as cleaning the cable, I just pulled the top of the machine off (the window cover & the piece right above it). Took probably all of 15 mins.

cdiesel

Oh yeah, and I unscrewed & unplugged the cable from the top of the print head/cutter, but not on the other end where it attaches to the boards. That was sufficient to clean it. I'm not sure if it will be much harder to replace the cable.

Mason

Yeah Id replace the pump while youre at it, when they go they leak ink all over the floor and the bottom pan of the printer gets full of ink, a real frakkin mess,,

TNT

I had my roland tech show up yesterday, he replaced the pump. Roland has came out with whole diffrent pump. They supplied the pump and I pay labor. I called him on the slapping noise the head was making about a month ago, so he replaced the ribbon, It didnt look difficult to replace, but there was some program setting to do that i got lost on. The new style pump is easy to replace, but it needs a new firm wear install so it will run diffrently.
I hope this helps.

Mason

I had my roland tech show up yesterday, he replaced the pump. Roland has came out with whole diffrent pump. They supplied the pump and I pay labor. I called him on the slapping noise the head was making about a month ago, so he replaced the ribbon, It didnt look difficult to replace, but there was some program setting to do that i got lost on. The new style pump is easy to replace, but it needs a new firm wear install so it will run diffrently.
I hope this helps.
They charged you labor? to replace a pump that was silently recalled? I had mine done about two months ago, tech told me it was no charge since it was a factory issue..

Kenny

If your not under warranty, it's my understanding is they will cover parts, not labor.

And Ken, as TNT stated above, be sure to apply the firmware upgrade for the new pump.

Designer85

Not to stray from the subject, but I just bought a used SP-300 that still has the old pump and the Roland dealer said he was out of stock currently and couldn't guarantee it would still be free per the recall.
So, is the pump recall still current? Should I inform the dealer if so? Thanks.