• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaSTUDIO BN-20

signswi

Anyone have any experience with this little guy? I haven't worked with Roland's before but the VersaSTUDIO BN-20 is intriguing for a few product ideas I have. Initial price tag is a bit steep but considering how much similar work we do through our Gerber it's an interesting option.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Last edited:

Mike_Koval

I saw this machine in action at the NBM Indy last month. Very nice machine targeted at the apparel decorator and those doing smaller decal applications, POP displays, labels, etc. Low to mid volume as it is on the slow side in printing time.

These machines will do the same things the VS models, just on a smaller scale and slower. I am very excited about this unit and can't wait until it is in stock.

signswi

As an apparel guy does it bug you that there's no white ink option? Or isn't that an issue with apparel, I haven't played in that market segment at all.

Mike_Koval

With apparel there is no need for white ink...when using heat applied material, the material is white, so that will be the white in your design.

When setting up for ink...I would highly recommend a four color set-up. The metallic doesn't look as shiny on apparel media.

WildWestDesigns

White ink also adds for some issues if they use the same type of white ink that the DTG printers use. I don't think that they have that worked out yet with white ink and the lines that the ink goes through. That's the one thing that keeps me from going to a dark garment DTG printer.

Fivestar

With apparel there is no need for white ink...when using heat applied material, the material is white, so that will be the white in your design.

When setting up for ink...I would highly recommend a four color set-up. The metallic doesn't look as shiny on apparel media.
The problem with that is, there's no good apparel printable vinyl for darks. You guys do have an excellent product for whites/lights though.

WildWestDesigns

The problem with that is, there's no good apparel printable vinyl for darks. You guys do have an excellent product for whites/lights though.

That is true. About the only thing that I like on darks other then DTG printing is die-cut vinyl. I think vinyl looks really good on darks, but it's not printable, at least not that I'm aware of and I don't have a printer that will be able to handle it even if it was.

Mike_Koval

What have you tried for darks? Our Quick Print is our most popular, with our new Eco-Print gaining alot of popularity. Quick Print is thicker, yet still very soft and extremely easy to work with. Eco-Print is very thin, light weight and easy to use as well. Both offer excellent print quality and durability.

Fivestar

Steve sent me some samples to press and try, but I haven't had a chance to press them yet. I've tried almost everything under the sun, Speciality Materials, Joto's, Siser's, Roland's and I liked Roland's the best but they must of changed something because it got a lot thicker.

I'd like to actually "sample print" some of your material, but I don't think you guys will ship out a sample that I can actually print on and I'm not buying a whole roll only to find out it's yet another thick material.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Fivestar - Roland's material hasn't changed since Jan. 2010, when it actually got a lot thinner. I'm wondering if you somehow wound up with an old roll. The old product was PCM-HTM. Current one (from Jan 2010 on) is ESM-HTM2.

Shoot me a PM with contact info and I would be happy to send a 10' sample roll out along with the matched polyster mask. That goes for anyone else interested as well.

Fivestar

Fivestar - Roland's material hasn't changed since Jan. 2010, when it actually got a lot thinner. I'm wondering if you somehow wound up with an old roll. The old product was PCM-HTM. Current one (from Jan 2010 on) is ESM-HTM2.

Shoot me a PM with contact info and I would be happy to send a 10' sample roll out along with the matched polyster mask. That goes for anyone else interested as well.
hhhmmmmmm now that's very interesting. BTW, PM sent and thanks.

Mike_Koval

Steve sent me some samples to press and try, but I haven't had a chance to press them yet. I've tried almost everything under the sun, Speciality Materials, Joto's, Siser's, Roland's and I liked Roland's the best but they must of changed something because it got a lot thicker.

I'd like to actually "sample print" some of your material, but I don't think you guys will ship out a sample that I can actually print on and I'm not buying a whole roll only to find out it's yet another thick material.

I would be happy to send some samples for you to print. PM me your details and i will send some out for you today.

splizaat

I have looked at this also, seems mighty pricey for the size. You could pick up a great used 300 for that price.

thats EXACTLY what I did...Was looking at brand new BN20 and the used 30" Roland printers were cheaper...plus I can do a lot more with a 30" printer. I miss the metallic, but in six years I've never had a request to print metallic.

Fivestar

thats EXACTLY what I did...Was looking at brand new BN20 and the used 30" Roland printers were cheaper...plus I can do a lot more with a 30" printer. I miss the metallic, but in six years I've never had a request to print metallic.
Also it only prints at 10 Sq Ft/hr is what I was told, and also no heater control it's pre-set at I believe 95 degrees.