• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks Error "The printer and ink type detected differ" Roland SP-540V

Marktx

EDIT UPDATE Problem Solved
I have an unexpected error message that has appeared out of no where between print jobs.
Current Hardware & Software: Roland SP-540V Eco Solvent Max, Firmware 7.4 Versaworks 5 Windows 7 and 10 (Tried different computer but Same Messages)
Problem:
I lost connection to the printer so I went looking for the problem.
Error Message while checking printer status:
"The model and ink type selected differs from the printer detected, and the printer detected is not supported in this software. Please verify the port setting and confirm that the software supports this printer"
Once the above message appears I must End Task to force close VW.
After Closing VW, Initializing, Running from Administrator Mode I immediately get:
"The printer and ink type detected differ from the one being used. A software update may be required to use the printer. This application will be closed."
So then after uninstalling and reinstalling Versaworks from the Roland CD and attempting once more to open as administrator a new error message has appeared:
"The current version of Roland Versaworks does not support the ink you are using. Update Versa works"
I believe I have the most current version of VW 5.5, purchased recently from Roland, that will support the SP540V. I update the firmware to 7.4 through this hoping that might fix the issue as well, but mo luck. I installed Flexi Demo and it connected and printed, with line of course, so I think that narrows the problem down to a VW software issue or interface issue. I've read all threads here and other places that I can find over past 3 days about the issue and have followed all suggestions but there is not a final follow up about what or if they ever resolved the issues. Thank you for your advise and experience, I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Update: I updated the SP540 Firmware and got VS to initialize but one again I got the same message in printer status while trying to make the VW to SP540 connection.

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 851
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

HandsomeBob

Several questions.
a. Are you using Roland brand inks?
b. Have you tried other files? Could the file have some sort of spot color that confuses the RIP?
c. Are you using Flexi? Try sending something through the Flexi RIP.
d. Tedious, but have you checked the setting of the p[rinter on the printer control panel?

Marktx

Yes, Roland Ink
I can't get any file to load, VW will connect to the printer with these errors
I only have flexi Demo to see if it was hardware issue
I set to Factory default to be sure

jriley

Did you completely uninstall VersaWorks? I'm concerned that when you open it up immediately after uninstalling/reinstalling, you see "The current version of Roland Versaworks does not support the ink you are using." If you completely uninstalled it, it shouldn't even be communicating with the printer at all until it's set up; it shouldn't have any info on the ink type/model yet. Are you installing over the old install? Is it holding-over the old settings?

Edit--Just re-read and noticed that you said you installed on two different computers with the same error message.

Are you sure you're selecting the correct Ink Type when you're setting up the printer for the first time in Versaworks? Are you able to use the Verify button to retrieve the printer info? Does it all match up?

Last edited:

Marktx

Did you completely uninstall VersaWorks? I'm concerned that when you open it up immediately after uninstalling/reinstalling, you see "The current version of Roland Versaworks does not support the ink you are using." If you completely uninstalled it, it shouldn't even be communicating with the printer at all until it's set up; it shouldn't have any info on the ink type/model yet. Are you installing over the old install? Is it holding-over the old settings?

Edit--Just re-read and noticed that you said you installed on two different computers with the same error message.

Are you sure you're selecting the correct Ink Type when you're setting up the printer for the first time in Versaworks? Are you able to use the Verify button to retrieve the printer info? Does it all match up?
Yes, it matching up with "Verify" other than after verification it say not connected and at no point does the VW say ready to print, after initial printer set up, verify, apply, ok. That is the reason I find myself back in Printer Status where the error messages come.
But on startup It is auto selecting Eco Sol Max when I verify from initializing. I have Clean installed VW 3 times after looking Registry for and latent files, I double checked that I had Roland Cartages I have some Solaris as well, I set printer to factory defaults, used InterCon to verify connection and IP with positive results, changed patch cables. IDK what else to try next.

I am starting to think it may have something to do with Printer as Dongle verifications maybe. I have no idea to find out though.

Last edited:

C5 Service&Repair

My guess is that your ink type selected in the printer's menu differs from either the ink thats actually installed in the printer, or the ink set up that versaworks is installing.
Can you post you ink config menu screen from the printer, from versaworks and a pic of the actual inks in the machine?

jriley

Since you're using a patch cable, I assume you're directly connecting to the printer instead of over a network?

Marktx

My guess is that your ink type selected in the printer's menu differs from either the ink thats actually installed in the printer, or the ink set up that versaworks is installing.
Can you post you ink config menu screen from the printer, from versaworks and a pic of the actual inks in the machine?

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    597.7 KB · Views: 492

Marktx

Since you're using a patch cable, I assume you're directly connecting to the printer instead of over a network?
Yes that is correct 4' Patch cable
, I was thinking about putting a router in between them, I read a post that suggested that might help to resolve IP conflict maybe. I am lost with connectivity issues.

Marktx

SOLUTION and PROBLEM FIXED.

I am not 100% sure what the actual fix was, but JRiley got me to thinking about connectivity. I rewatched the Roland Tutorial Network Conectivity Video and realized I had different a IP address in C:/ipconfig and Network Details as well as Intercon tools. I pinged both IP addresses and both returned 100% IDK. I set the InterCon up with the Network Detail IP rather than the C:/ipconfig IP several times with no connection. Frustrated, I rebooted everything unplugged all cables, Patch and Power. Relit everything with initialized VW using the IP address with in Network Local Ethernet Details. Happily, I got "No ink error" messages and the best sight in 4 days is status: "Printer is Ready"! Now to be completely honest, I think I had a loose connection in the ether port on the printer as I changed patch cables during the Patch and Power process and I noticed how much tighter it fit. It was head shake moment remembering that the original problem was losing connection with printer followed up by USER ERROR in not realizing there was also a conflict in IP addresses. I am still not sure why c:/IPconfig and Network Details have different IP addresses, but I know nothing about connectivity as clearly demonstrated. Thank you for taking time to offer help and causing me to think it through. I really appreciate everyone and the forum.