• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Joesignshop

Is this a normal amount of ink in a week's time with very little usage??

Every other time loading material goes through a clean cycle. Driving me nuts with the waste!! And then a slight clean for test print. (I want to see what the test print shows before a slight clean.)

Vg640, TR2 ink upgrade. Firmware 5.1 says up to date. Periodic Cleaning: none
ink setup: CMYK-M/Lc/Lk/Lm (no white ink or pump circulation)

Is there a fix in the firmware to stop this?

Attachments

• 09072023011322Untitled.jpg
    09072023011322Untitled.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 258

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That does seem like a lot of ink for a week but I am more experienced with Mutoh and Mimaki printers so I'm not sure if Roland just uses more. They all use the same technology but in different ways. Just keep in mind that every time you hear the pump running doesn't mean it's cleaning. Most of the time you hear the pump, it's simply purging any ink that might be sitting in the cap and tubes so it doesn't dry up and clog but it's not pulling it from the head. I have also heard that Rolands will suck more ink through if you use 3rd party inks but I can't confirm that as a fact.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yeah that seems excessive for a week, especially if you have periodic cleaning turned off. (Nice to see they finally upgraded the waste ink tank design though!)

That drove me nuts on our Rolands..........even with periodic cleaning turned off it would clean itself all the time.

Joesignshop

By expired, do you mean have they been sitting in the machine for years? I have replaced all with brand new inks twice now

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
By expired, do you mean have they been sitting in the machine for years? I have replaced all with brand new inks twice now
There's a date code on the side of the pouches, typically, if they are more then 2 years old, they aren't as good anymore. Also make sure you gently shake the cartridges once a week or so to make sure they stay mixed together.

emhmotorsports

That's disappointing. Seems like a similar amount to what my VG-640 goes through in a week with aftermarket TR ink. I was hoping upgrading to TR2 would improve that.

Joesignshop

So it's about 650 ml a month of ink waste because of excessive cleaning. I wish Roland could do something!! How much are the newer VG2 and VG3 owners averaging on waste ink?

upss5424

Is this a normal amount of ink in a week's time with very little usage??

Every other time loading material goes through a clean cycle. Driving me nuts with the waste!! And then a slight clean for test print. (I want to see what the test print shows before a slight clean.)

Vg640, TR2 ink upgrade. Firmware 5.1 says up to date. Periodic Cleaning: none
ink setup: CMYK-M/Lc/Lk/Lm (no white ink or pump circulation)

Is there a fix in the firmware to stop this?
That definitely seems abnormal. Our VG-640 has the setup with TR2 White Ink, but we hardly get close to that much waste in a week.

emhmotorsports

That definitely seems abnormal. Our VG-640 has the setup with TR2 White Ink, but we hardly get close to that much waste in a week.
Just curious, did you have the machine prior to TR2? I'm curious if you saw any sort of improvement. I'm assuming it's the white ink that's driving a lot my cleaning waste...

emhmotorsports

The one that burns me is when it initiates a cleaning procedure at the end of short job, thereby blocking my ability to do a sheet cut for several minutes! There are some things on these machines that are not very well thought out in terms of execution for sure

Joesignshop

Just curious, did you have the machine prior to TR2? I'm curious if you saw any sort of improvement. I'm assuming it's the white ink that's driving a lot my cleaning waste...
I did not own the machine prior to TR2. I did have white ink but the tech replaced it with another magenta, eliminating the circulation mode. Even still, it wastes a ton. I just wish there was a fix to turn off cleaning while awake! Cmon Roland give us a fix!!