• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl cutter plots wavy lines

Stonehouse

Hi. any idea what causes a vinyl cutter to cut wavy diagonal lines but ok on the xy axis? Also bad circles. thanks. we've replaced the teflon strip and the blade.

petesign

are your squares square? maybe try a big equilateral triangle and see if its as tall as it is wide. Would tell you if it's slipping.

Jim Doggett

Hi. any idea what causes a vinyl cutter to cut wavy diagonal lines but ok on the xy axis? Also bad circles. thanks. we've replaced the teflon strip and the blade.

Worn or clogged blade-holder could be the culprit, causing waves due to hampered blade rotation. Check to see if bits of adhesive or vinyl are mucking things up, and if so, clean and lubricate the blade-holder and you should be golden.

round man

you say it cut fine on the xy axis,...well the plotter has only two axis x and y,...normally y is the axis that follows the blade carriage guide and x is the axis that follows the pinch rollers and material feed,...have you checked to see if the blade carriage has jumped off the extrusion,...or the belt driving the blade carriage has become loose or unfastened?,...do es the material feed freely or does it bind occaisionally,...any of these things can cause the symptoms you describe along with the problem Jim describes,...

Stonehouse

Thanks for the help. I have an old anagraph elite ae-60. Checked the blade holder and cleaned and lubricated it. This improved the diagonal lines but circles are not good. Have noticed flat spots on the pinch rollers. Could this be the culprit? i believe it is. I'll replace the blade holder if I can find one and the rollers.