• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for a canoe

cmid

Hello everyone, I hope all are well. I am new to the site and was wondering if I could solicit advice from those who are far more intelligent than I.

I am looking to create and place a custom vinyl image on a canoe. There are so many different grades of vinyl, it is all very confusing to me, and I am rather lost.

The vinyl images won't be very big and will be above the waterline. The canoe made of carbon/aramid material with a resin exterior coat.

I have individuals offering to do the printing on 3m IJ39, 3m Controltac, Orajet 3651 and several other vinyl, but it is hard to differentiate between all of the options.

I'm not sure that I could go wrong with any, but wanted to see if the more experienced could provide some advice on which way to go.

Which, in your opinion, would be the "best?" Is there anything that you would avoid based on the substrate that might damage the canoe? (removable vs permanent or certain adhesive)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read.

Kind regards,

myront

CorelDRAW is best
3M IJ180-Cv3-10 w/ 3M 8518 laminate

1634152326435.png

cmid

Have you done a surface test to see what material has the best adhesion?
Low energy surfaces require a different adhesive
I have not. Could you do that without damaging the exterior?

Everyone that I have spoken to has said "this will work, no issues" without explaining anything or even providing any other options for comparison purposes.

2B

I have not. Could you do that without damaging the exterior?

Everyone that I have spoken to has said "this will work, no issues" without explaining anything or even providing any other options for comparison purposes.

There should "NOT" be any issues/damages to the exterior, but it should go without saying that for testing you need to try in an inauspicious location.
When you test high tack, then you need to be more aware.

If these materials don't work, you need to get a HIGH TACK material Such as DPF 8200
We use Substance ICON® 444LSE and have been very happy

Inks

Have you done a surface test to see what material has the best adhesion?
Low energy surfaces require a different adhesive
Also if the resin exterior coating has any flow additives they can also make adhesion challenging. Surface test is an excellent suggestion.

unclebun

I take it that you are not a sign professional, but an end-user customer. The real answer to your question will depend on what you are trying to do with the decal, how large it is, and how the canoe is used, along with the material the canoe is made from.

If the canoe is used on a river frequently in rocky areas with rapids, then the longevity issue doesn't even need to be considered, because decals will get scraped, chipped, and destroyed faster than they will "wear out". If the canoe will sit in a store showroom display indoors, the longevity question is also not an issue. So then you can use a less expensive calendared vinyl like what has been suggested to you by the sign vendors you have contacted.

If you are trying wrap the canoe completely in vinyl, then you will want a more expensive cast wrapping vinyl.

It sounds like this canoe is made of a fiberglass type material. If so, adhesion should not be a problem. If, however, it is made of flexible plastic, then it may well be polyethylene, which will require a super-sticky vinyl designed for low surface energy plastics.

Rather than asking on a sign professionals forum, you should trust the sign companies you are dealing with locally, who have seen the canoe in question and to whom you can go if they choose the wrong materials to make your stickers.

Inks

I take it that you are not a sign professional, but an end-user customer. The real answer to your question will depend on what you are trying to do with the decal, how large it is, and how the canoe is used, along with the material the canoe is made from.

If the canoe is used on a river frequently in rocky areas with rapids, then the longevity issue doesn't even need to be considered, because decals will get scraped, chipped, and destroyed faster than they will "wear out". If the canoe will sit in a store showroom display indoors, the longevity question is also not an issue. So then you can use a less expensive calendared vinyl like what has been suggested to you by the sign vendors you have contacted.

If you are trying wrap the canoe completely in vinyl, then you will want a more expensive cast wrapping vinyl.

It sounds like this canoe is made of a fiberglass type material. If so, adhesion should not be a problem. If, however, it is made of flexible plastic, then it may well be polyethylene, which will require a super-sticky vinyl designed for low surface energy plastics.

Rather than asking on a sign professionals forum, you should trust the sign companies you are dealing with locally, who have seen the canoe in question and to whom you can go if they choose the wrong materials to make your stickers.
Many good points here. The material is actually "carbon/aramid material with a resin exterior coat" and the decal is above the waterline.

unclebun

Many good points here. The material is actually "carbon/aramid material with a resin exterior coat" and the decal is above the waterline.
Carbon/aramid = fiber. Resin is what is used to hold the fiber together. Fiberglass is a glass cloth/fibers in resin. This canoe is made in a similar way but using carbon and aramid fibers in a resin. Therefore fiberglass type, as I said.

Inks

Carbon/aramid = fiber. Resin is what is used to hold the fiber together. Fiberglass is a glass cloth/fibers in resin. This canoe is made in a similar way but using carbon and aramid fibers in a resin. Therefore fiberglass type, as I said.
Not arguing just steering it away from the olefin plastic and low energy discussion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Quite honestly, I don't think this whole conversation matters much. unclebun, pretty much hit the proverbial nail on the head. The OP is obviously someone trying to buy from a local sign shop and is confused as to what to buy. In searching (googling), he came across s101, joined and is now trying to pin point his best interest needs.

I say, get the best you can get and be done with it. What the fug are ya gonna save by cheaping out on your own boat ?? $15 bucks. Big deal.