• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for raw wood outside

Billct2

I have a food truck that has some wood tables they put out when they are doing events. It's smooth but raw,no varnish or poly. First- I was thinking of using a sidewalk vinyl, does that make sense? Second- If I do use it,
will it shred the wood if it is removed?
Thanks

IsItFasst

For tough surfaces that a normal vinyl may not stick to I use Arlon DPF 8000. It will stick to rough wood and even brick since the adhesive is meant to "flow" into the crevices.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Probably a number of vinyl options would work for covering them, but if the big concern is compromising the raw wood, it should probably be treated first. If it's just temporary, then a low tac removable vinyl would be the best direction. But, if you want longevity and durability... The vinyl will probably peal up weak wood skin with it when removed.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Vinyl on untreated wood will usually fail pretty quick outdoors. If the wood gets wet it wicks under the vinyl, stays wet longer, and either the vinyl releases, or the wood delaminates from it. If it's a temporary application there's a good chance it'll pull wood fibers when it's removed, especially out in the hot sun, or if it's left on too long. I'd finish them first. So how does a food service truck clean them after use???

petepaz

i would definitely use a high tack vinyl. will it rip up the wood? i would think only if it's already splintering but it will definitely be a bitch to remove. probably be messy, leave a lot of adhesive residue

2B

short term or long term?

banner, with raw edges, and then overlay a sheet of plexi / acrylic that is mechanically attached to the table.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
short term or long term?

banner, with raw edges, and then overlay a sheet of plexi / acrylic that is mechanically attached to the table.
How about a printed banner with hemmed edges and grommets using bungee cords beneath the table top. It'd be like a super heavy duty plastic-coated tablecloth.

Heck, they could round up sponsors with advertising at each place setting.

JB

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
These scenarios make me cringe....as a guy who sells adhesive vinyl, I love when the question is "here's a really hard surface to stick to....but it needs to be removable". You should set the expectation that it is a very difficult surface to adhere to and you need to choose - make it stick or be prepared to do it a few times a year and price the job accordingly.

We have Drytac make us a product called Omni Print which has a high coat-weight of high-tack adhesive. It is designed to stick to just about anything - low energy surfaces, asphalt, concrete, brick....basically when we are concerned about "will it stick?" we suggest this material. It sells for around $310 so it is a lot cheaper than just going with IJ180 which is a pretty common habit.

It is a good concern mentioned above about finishing the table first....but if you go with a high-tack you are likely going to destroy the wood at removal so I wonder if it is worth finishing?

You'd absolutely have to do your best to also cover around the sides of the table since wood is going to soak up the rain whenever it can...and then when it heats up that moisture has to go somewhere.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I like the sponsor banner tablecloth idea the best! Even if they just do their own logo and don't get sponsors. Easy to change out, easy to clean, very little installation labor, if any. And...since banners are cheap they can change them out yearly, maybe advertise that new product for the 2023 season.

Billct2

Apparently the wood is not the flat serving surface but the front of the table. They plan on the vinyl being "permanent". I'm going to go check these out in person.
There will be quite a few of them if it goes through.