• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for temporary vehicle decals

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I have a client who wants us to make vehicle decals (approx 8x12) that will be on the doors of shuttle vans for a 2-week event. We're new to the vehicle market and wondering what folks suggest for this kind of use to be ale to effectively remove them at the end of the run. We have some Orafol 3621 temp adhesive vinyl. Would this work? Do people recommend laminating? The client will applying the decals themselves so I thought a laminate might make application easier for them.

Thanks!

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
That was the first thing I recommended but they seem to want to go direct to vehicle surface. If people really recommend against it, I can try the magnet route again with them.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Any regular wrap vinyl would work and be decently easy to remove without leaving any adhesive.
The proper material for the job would be a vinyl like 3M UltraRemoveable or Gerber InstaChange, as removal is very easy by the customer and guarantees no adhesive residue, but buying a roll just for a few vehicles doesn't make much sense.

ANYTHING that gets printed on a roll-to-roll printer should be laminated.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Magnets can cause more damage to a vehicle's surface than vinyl will. Plus, magnets cost you and them more to make, so you have to charge them more for an inferior product.

rjssigns

Big Fish has microdot material that would be perfect. I've used it for temp applications and the clients like it. Best part is if they store it correctly it's reusable.

For a two week job I'd use the cheapest stuff you can find, so 3621 is perfect. I've used dozens of rolls for temporary sale signage, parade logos on vehicles, temporary "Now Hiring" on top of wraps. Holds well and easy to remove. I wouldn't laminate for that short amount of time, just tell them not to hose it down with chemicals.

2B

IF and ONLY IF they are on for this time frame of 2 weeks.

any material that is "removable" will work. lamination is not needed

cshook

Hi All,

I have a client who wants us to make vehicle decals (approx 8x12) that will be on the doors of shuttle vans for a 2-week event. We're new to the vehicle market and wondering what folks suggest for this kind of use to be ale to effectively remove them at the end of the run. We have some Orafol 3621 temp adhesive vinyl. Would this work? Do people recommend laminating? The client will applying the decals themselves so I thought a laminate might make application easier for them.

Thanks!
We use 631 oracal for our temporary stuff

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Glass Appeal works for this too.
Yes, I'd second Glass Apeel, as there is no adhesive, no troubles at all removing. It prints really well on Eco-Solvent printers as well. Only downside is that it is a tad expensive, but less than the 3M stuff.

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I got nervous about the low tac feel if the 3621 so ended up using IJ35C after a few folks mentioned regular cheap vinyl. We did laminate as well. We were able to charge well as it was a last minute rush job so our margins were good even with the lam.

Only question now is... Any special instructions for client as to removal? Will they need to apply heat?