• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for water bottles

centerice

I'm new to the sign business. I have a versacamm sp-300v and used oracal 3641 gloss (no lamination) on clear 1 liter water bottles for a hockey team. They get washed in a dishwasher often and the stickers are coming off. Any recommendations on a type of vinyl that will hold up better for future applications like this?

I don't know of any vinyl that is dishwasher safe, I would say try Oracal's wrap material and put it into the dishwasher for a few cycles to see if it holds up. I'm sure someone will chime in. By the way, welcome to 101!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I dont think that vinyl or any digital printed vinyl will work for that application unfortunatley. I think its offset printing for something like that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Those things... or any round type surface are screen printed with a circular type screen. However, you must use human friendly and dish washer safe inks.

W

wetgravy

+1 gino. Also another method is pad printing. Either way, not really something that vinyl can do. Now you CAN use on the outside of the bottles a paint mask and paint bottles then just rip the paint mask off ... lot of work though. Plan accordingly.

Edserv

Although we've successfully placed printed vinyl onto several water bottles (ran them through the dish washer 10's of times with no problem,) I still wouldn't sell or recommend this for clients. We use several vendors for screen printing (or whatever imprint method they use) for our ASI type products. Also, as a side note, we've been getting out of this business to devote all our time on "in-house" produced products.
Good luck!
chris, lets go banners/tsunami wraps.com
ps, we do offer overlaminated printed vinyl for food and drink items that are sold at farmer's markets and in retail stores.

WildWestDesigns

It could also be done with sublimation, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

I haven't had an issue with water bottles done with sublimation. Now it isn't dishwasher safe, those type of things have to be hand washed. Those and the travel thermos are the ones that come to mind has having to be hand washed. However, that is due to the nature of the product and non due to the sublimation process.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I haven't had an issue with water bottles done with sublimation. Now it isn't dishwasher safe, those type of things have to be hand washed. Those and the travel thermos are the ones that come to mind has having to be hand washed. However, that is due to the nature of the product and non due to the sublimation process.

Sorry for the confusion, the "can 'o worms" I was referring to being that the OP is probably not already set up to do sublimation so he'd need to remedy that to use it as his solution.:toasting:

Pat Whatley

When my twins were born we had labels made for their bottles. I had Signs365 print them using Oracal Orajet 3651 with lamination (the cheapest printing they do). Those bottles got washed in the dishwasher almost daily for 18 months and we never lost a label. We're currently using them on their sippy cups with the same results.

I'm pretty shocked at the results. I had a couple of hundred labels printed (.75" x 3") expecting to have to replace them every couple of months but they've held up great. On one of their cups the label looks like new but the Sponge Bob printing from the factory is wearing off.

W

wetgravy

Nice pat, you're one of the lucky ones. I have a stainless steel water bottle that only gets cold liquids and never anything sticky in it (and as a result never needs to be stuck in the dishwasher) and i've replaced the graphics on it about 10 times this past year.

CheapVehicleWrap

Nice pat, you're one of the lucky ones. I have a stainless steel water bottle that only gets cold liquids and never anything sticky in it (and as a result never needs to be stuck in the dishwasher) and i've replaced the graphics on it about 10 times this past year.

That's because it's stainless steel.