• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl not sticking

MartinJones

Hi,

So I have been using Chemica's Hotmark vinyl. Done a number of basic tee shirts and a couple "club" flags. Got a job doing some polo shirts with some simple left chest right chest lettering, business name one side, and employee name on the other. Thought it would be no problem. They are just basic 100% cotton polo shirts from Target, 13 bucks each. Followed the Hotmark instructions, heat 300-320 (used 320), time 15 to 20 (used 20), medium to high pressure. The vinyl wont stick, not at all. Had a 100% cotton tee shirt laying around, tried to put the logo on, no problem, stuck like it was supposed to. I tried increasing the time to 60 seconds and that didnt help at all. Obviously it has something to do with the fabric, but what? Any one have a clue?

Thanx so much
Martin

oksigns

Hi,

So I have been using Chemica's Hotmark vinyl. Done a number of basic tee shirts and a couple "club" flags. Got a job doing some polo shirts with some simple left chest right chest lettering, business name one side, and employee name on the other. Thought it would be no problem. They are just basic 100% cotton polo shirts from Target, 13 bucks each. Followed the Hotmark instructions, heat 300-320 (used 320), time 15 to 20 (used 20), medium to high pressure. The vinyl wont stick, not at all. Had a 100% cotton tee shirt laying around, tried to put the logo on, no problem, stuck like it was supposed to. I tried increasing the time to 60 seconds and that didnt help at all. Obviously it has something to do with the fabric, but what? Any one have a clue?

Thanx so much
Martin

Let me ask, had that extra Tee you had laying round been washed? A lot of new garments have a light spray of repellent that protects it until the first couple of washes.

bannertime

I don't know a whole lot about heat transfer, but I'm considering adding it at the start of next year.

Is it possible to overheat the vinyl or material by using the max recommended settings?

amw

Longtime Members
One reason to buy blank shirts from a wholesale company. We make a lot of heat transfer shirts (both cut and print and cut). Never have had any trouble with wholesale blanks having anything stick. We dont use that brand of heat transfer vinyl because we have a large supplier locally that we prefer. We do have a location that does use "customer supplied" shirts about 70% of the time and have had some issues with odd blends. But nothing 100% cotton, polyester, or any blend of the two. As someone else said, they may be treated with a "stain/spill resistant" chemical. That could be your problem...i doubt it based on the fact they are $13 at target. If they where$25 or $30 I could see them having that feature. But who know! Hopefully you get it figured out.

MartinJones

I washed the shirt once to see if that would help.....still no good. Should I wash them a few more times? Im at a complete loss here. And there was no info on the tags about having any kind of "coating" on them. I do appreciate everyones help with this.

Martin