• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on a curve.

skyhigh

I apologize for this noob question. I'll blame it on an extreme lack of sleep the last couple weeks. I seem to be questioning everything I do.

Here goes.....
We have been asked to "provide" decals for a local silo manufacturer. As for longevity, the intermediate vinyl is what I would like to use, but I'm not really sure of the curve. These are a 1ft x 4 ft decal, going on a 10ft diameter metal silo. (see attached)

Is the curve of the metal silo reason enough to warrant the use of 3m180c?
My half asleep mind tells me, its more of a concave type of surface I need to worry about, not the convex.

r

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 77

Pat Whatley

That shouldn't be a big deal to install even if you do it with the cheapest vinyl you can buy. Installation will be easier on that than on a flat surface.

skyhigh

Hi Pat.....

The installation wasn't my concern. It was the longevity, and the shrinking of the intermediate vinyl on the curved surface, causing premature failure. (I only need these to last for 3-4 years)

I apologize, as I didn't explain myself very well.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I don't think intermediate will stick well to the textured galvanized surface of a grain bin. When intermediate shrinks it ends up only touching the high spots. I would install high performance and heat it with a torch and rollepro it. Piece of mind...

4R Graphics

Many years ago before i knew better (although with this experience I would probably do it again if they were cheap ) I had a customer who wanted graphics on a canvas awning they wanted to paint the awning and have me put graphics on it (one of my first clients and cheap).

I told them to paint it with oil base paint they did and I applied printed graphics about 30" in diamater to the almost stucco like texture of the painted canvas and then I heated it up and used a hard foam roller (pre rollie pro but similar) would you believe that out of 4 graphics only 1 failed and it only curled up maybe 3 inches of the bottom (i believe from people messing with it) Oh and the 1 that did fail looked great for 2 years or so before it started to curl.
They lasted longer than the 3-4 years you are looking for.
Also went through some very close hurricanes no direct hits but very close 50mph+ winds

Oracal 3651 and 210 lam
Great material I am just not sure about the galvanised surface.

skyhigh

I don't think intermediate will stick well to the textured galvanized surface of a grain bin. When intermediate shrinks it ends up only touching the high spots. I would install high performance and heat it with a torch and rollepro it. Piece of mind...

These are nothing like what you have in mind. These are very smooth & have an automotive looking finish.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Only other warning is if the silo is a dark color, like black or navy blue, it will get really hot and the intermediate will probably shrink and crack in the sharp inside corners within a year.

Price intermediate and HP and let them make the call. It's about $1.60 per decal difference (Orafol 751 vs 651)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...The installation wasn't my concern. It was the longevity, and the shrinking of the intermediate vinyl on the curved surface, causing premature failure. (I only need these to last for 3-4 years)...

If the curve isn't compound, in other words it's flat up and down and only curved left to right [or vice versa], intermediate will work just as well as if it were on a flat surface. Even at that, a 10' diameter silo would have a circumference of 31.4159265...feet. A 4' arc on a 31' circle shouldn't be much of a worry.

On a compound curve you either have to gain some vinyl, via stretching, or lose some vinyl, vial shrinking, in order to cover the surface properly. Hence a cast vinyl would be required. If it only bends in one direction, like the side of a cylindrical or even conical silo, most any vinyl will do. Assuming the side is flat and has no corrugations or such that must be covered. Most decent calendared intermediate vinyl has a rated life of 5-6 years. Have at it.