• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Vinyl on carpet

Nick Nie

Hi All:

One of our customer orderd some floor decal from us for a event show , but they did not tell us that the floor decals were going to apply to on the long pile carpet. so we supplied they removable Avery 2933 matt vinyl. they called us on the first day to tell us all the decals peelled off from the carpet and looked really bad.

We did testing in house and then replace all the decals with Orafol 3105 HT , 3105 is the only material in house could grap the carpet very well, but then after 2 weeks, this customer came back to say there were glue on the carpet after removal, they could not remove it and would bill us for the cleaning service and labor.

From the pictures they have send, i thought it more looks like ghost on carpet instead of glue.

Two questions:

1. Can someone tell us what chemical is good to remove the HT vinyl residue from the carpet?
2. Is there any suggestions, like which brand, what type of vinyl is good for long pile carpet and have clean removal?

Many thanks!

CanuckSigns

All the vinyl I've seen for carpets has been for very low pile commercial carpet, I can't see any vinyl working for high pile carpet, not because of the adhesive, but because of the movement when someone steps on it causing it to rip.

General Formulations sells a product specifically for carpets http://www.generalformulations.com/...hite/High-Tack-Removable-Adhesive/Concept-212

Depending on how much you want this client, I would tell them to pound sand when they tell you to pay for professional cleaning, if they can't properly communicate the specs of the job to you ahead of time, they can foot the bill.

kalvix

i'll start off by saying we are not a lawyer, but give them their money back for the graphic and move on. do not own the responsibility of the cleaning except to the tune of the product. 1) you did not get to see the carpet and make a recommendation, and only sold a product to a client for a specified purpose. you should not be responsible for their misuse or incorrect application. I'm sure there is some fine print in the carpet vinyl brochure that restricts or limits it application.

Nick Nie

All the vinyl I've seen for carpets has been for very low pile commercial carpet, I can't see any vinyl working for high pile carpet, not because of the adhesive, but because of the movement when someone steps on it causing it to rip.

General Formulations sells a product specifically for carpets http://www.generalformulations.com/...hite/High-Tack-Removable-Adhesive/Concept-212

Depending on how much you want this client, I would tell them to pound sand when they tell you to pay for professional cleaning, if they can't properly communicate the specs of the job to you ahead of time, they can foot the bill.
Thank you for you suggestion, totally agree!

Nick Nie

i'll start off by saying we are not a lawyer, but give them their money back for the graphic and move on. do not own the responsibility of the cleaning except to the tune of the product. 1) you did not get to see the carpet and make a recommendation, and only sold a product to a client for a specified purpose. you should not be responsible for their misuse or incorrect application. I'm sure there is some fine print in the carpet vinyl brochure that restricts or limits it application.

That's right, Appreciate!

edwardbarnett

It's irresponsible of them to pass all the costs on to you. You, as the executor of the obligations, handed over the goods of proper quality. This is their problem, as they have used it incorrectly. Once such a situation has developed, contact special cleaning companies, now there is a huge list of services, even for the restoration of carpets.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I wish some people could learn to say no to a customer when they have demands like this. Before the fiasco and after.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
The GF is made for low pile...high pile would be at clients own risk. We are very clear on this.

edwardbarnett

I have always treated conscientious sellers with respect. Once I bought a really high-quality carpet. I was crazy about the purchase. However, the time passed, and I decided to clean it a little. Accordingly, due to my carelessness and greed (I did not want to spend money on cleaning services), I ruined this carpet. I was so angry with myself. But I did not throw the blame on the seller, saying that the quality of the rug was "disgusting."
On the contrary, I learned the biggest life lesson for myself. After that, I bought another carpet from the same seller. But now I use carpet repair services. One call to 0480 022 643, and I can be 100 percent sure that my carpet is safe!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This could easily be a 2 way street. You sold them the wrong product the first time. You came back with a solution to their needs. You didn't do your homework, thus providing a faulty product.

My take would be, you never told them it WOULDN'T work, or you left that part out, to make and keep a sale. They came to you and you didn't supply, but took their money.

Doing something wrong, then returning the money is not an answer. It's a feeble approach admitting you were wrong in the first place. Whether you like, want or can't stand this customer, I believe you have an obligation to fix it. Afterall, you supplied the product that ruined the rug.

A lesson well learned and probably not forgotten for a long time.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A reputable business will cover the cost to fix any legitimate damage caused by the product they sold to someone. I'm surprised that some people balk at this. Pick your materials wisely and know the application.
Honestly, it doesn't take much thought to know that HT vinyl was going to leave adhesive behind on high traffic carpet. Personally, I wouldn't want to put my name on any adhesive going on carpet even if it was made for it.