• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl print skewing using Big Squeegee...static cling?

Stacey K

I like making signs
We generally do our prints 46" x 94" that leaves enough so even if there is slight skew, no one ever notices. We show the proofs as such, and very few people take issue with the border, and those that do, generally decide that the border ain't so bad once they learn the price difference for a full bleed. We use the Big Squeegee as well, vinyl taped from the end.
Interesting...so you are charging more for a full bleed. That's something I'm going to do, I like that!

gnubler

Ditto. That's a good idea. For those running a full bleed, do you print enough to wrap it around, or trim right at the edge?

The panels that inspired me to start this thread had a crossover and I ran edge laminating tape along the seams so vinyl doesn't start lifting.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
We haven't used the Big Squeegee as we print directly to ACM. Bumping to 97 X 49 is only 1 sqft, so you should be getting charged for 33 sqft not 45. Give us a call, we can hep you out.
Unfortunately the dimensions are rounded up to the next foot. That means you get to pay for a 5x9 print.

gnubler

Back to the original issue, is there any way to address the static that builds up under the liner? This time it got so bad my substrate started sliding off the table from pushing the BS so hard. I have to continually stop the squeegee and fan the liner to get it going again.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We use the same method as Tex's video. But we keep rolls of 2-1/2" application tape and apply it along the starting edge of the vinyl to apply the vinyl to the front end and then roll the liner out from under vinyl a little at a time while I squeegee the vinyl down.
I use spring clamps on the other end to keep the vinyl from skewing. I like the idea of the cardboard tube core under the vinyl to keep tension on the vinyl. Will have to try that next time.

Superior_Adam

We use the timber Maxx from YelloTools. Works great and very fast. Don't apply much printed vinyl anymore though now that we have flatbed printers.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Why not use the little laminator?
I could but then I have to mess around with the tension to go back to doing prints...I still don't have it completely figured out. Notareal give me some help yesterday and I did several prints perfectly so...I'm scared to change it LOL

jimbug72

For those running a full bleed, do you print enough to wrap it around, or trim right at the edge?
Trim to the edge. If I'm doing it, I actually used a metal file and pull it at an angle along the edge. This seems to make a good bond at the edge and I've not seen any lifting/curling at edges using this method. It's a trick I learned in the 80's to trim the excess off when putting grip tape on my new skateboards. Used the knurled handle of a socket wrench back then rather than the metal file, but the principal is the same.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
So are you printing at exactly 48 x 96 and expecting to get no white?

Most panels are slightly wider or longer than 48 x 96... And a lot of times not perfectly square.

I would start adding a 1/8" White all around the image if possible...then just put on your vinyl, use a straight edge and cut the strip off.

Or... if you have the space, spend the $250 and buy one of these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/263276395115?hash=item3d4c7efa6b:g:8WAAAOSw2xhh59o5 . Mount it between 2 tables and applying 4x8s will be a breeze and take seconds.
This is where the 55" daige comes in handy
It really is a one man job, since we added a guide to the front edge
I could do it with a blindfold now!

ikarasu

This is where the 55" daige comes in handy
It really is a one man job, since we added a guide to the front edge
I could do it with a blindfold now!
At work we use a rolls roller... It takes 1 minute to do a 4x8 and it's always perfect.

At home I used to use my laminator... However it's now downstairs, and lugging a 4x8 Coro or alupanel downstairs is killer. So I just stand them up and hand apply them... Takes about 5-10 mins, not killer for the small amount of 4x8s I do at home.

If I did even one a day... I would buy a rolls roller. They're so convenient, doing multi panel is cake and perfect alignment.