• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Sticker Printer

gwdlv

Is there a printer that can print vinyl stickers for around $500?
I was looking into a vinyl cutter like the Roland GX24, but if there is a printer that can print on vinyl and the ink is weather proof like bumper stickers I would rather go that route.

I saw printers like the Canon ipf500, but all the specs I saw just mentioned photo paper...

Adem

Is there a printer that can print vinyl stickers for around $500?
I was looking into a vinyl cutter like the Roland GX24, but if there is a printer that can print on vinyl and the ink is weather proof like bumper stickers I would rather go that route.

I saw printers like the Canon ipf500, but all the specs I saw just mentioned photo paper...

Adem

The cheapest way of doing it is a older SP300 Roland
I think you can pick them up for around 6,000.

Jim Doggett

Check eBay / Craigslist / et al for a Fargo Primera or Pictura. They're probably going for around $500 ... the caveat is where to buy supplies. But a Google search might lead to a supplier of Fargo ribbons and cut-sheet vinyl. A used Roland ColorCAMM might be a cheap entry as well, but probably not as low as $500, since they can still be used as a vinyl cutter. Plus, for stickers in the 3" to 6" diameter range, a Fargo prints better than the ColorCAMM ... although both can be tempermental.

But they can earn enough to hopefully get you into a new technology printer in the future.

My $0.02,

Jim

DRamm76

The cheapest way of doing it is a older SP300 Roland
I think you can pick them up for around 6,000.

$6000 for an SP300? WOW..I assume you mean used..either that or dealers have gotten pathetically desperate.

I have a sold combination packages of an Epson 24" Printer & Gx-24 to customers who can't quite afford to jump into a VersaCAMM. Allows them to still take on some digital work and not have to outsource but they know the limits going into it and of course with aqueous inks it's going to only give you about 2 years max WITH lamination.If you have Adobe Illustrator getting the print & cut down is pretty simple.

The only down side to buying an SP300 used is that you are going to get ZERO support and inherit someone else's headaches. Good luck

OldPaint

i have an aqueous ink printer, ENCAD 736. i got it at a good price, and was under $500 by the time i put new carts and medium in it. does all i need, but like said above, limited to under 2 years out doors. give me the capability to make small stickers(not expected to survive a long time)and indoor signs and banner graphics.
i would say if you can wait another 5 years............$500 PRINTERS MIGHT BE like the $500 plotters of today)))))

gwdlv

Thanks for everyone's advise...I guess there is a lot more expense than I thought. I guess I will just have to keep farming it out.

I have a reseller account with a printer that does vinyl stickers ,but it takes 10 days turnaround and I don't make that much.

Along with wanting to offer this service direct to my clients I also wanted to use these stickers to promote our Off-Road Racing online magazine.

I guess it might be eaiser to just go with the Roland cutter.

Thanks again everyone!!! I know Graphic Design like the back of my hand, but The Sign Industry is still a mystery. Glad this forum is here!!!

One more thing, are these the type of Epson printers that would be used for this?
http://www.colorhq.com/Epson-Printers-s/97.htm

And petepaz mentioned a laminator...is this to weather proof the ink?

Last edited:
$6000 for an SP300? WOW..I assume you mean used..either that or dealers have gotten pathetically desperate.

I have a sold combination packages of an Epson 24" Printer & Gx-24 to customers who can't quite afford to jump into a VersaCAMM. Allows them to still take on some digital work and not have to outsource but they know the limits going into it and of course with aqueous inks it's going to only give you about 2 years max WITH lamination.If you have Adobe Illustrator getting the print & cut down is pretty simple.

The only down side to buying an SP300 used is that you are going to get ZERO support and inherit someone else's headaches. Good luck

Sp300 are the older models so hints they would be used. About 3-4years old if i'm mistaken. The newer models are SP300V's

DRamm76

$6000 for a used machine wouldn't be that bad at all as long as you take the necessary steps to make sure you aren't just inheriting other people's headaches.

gwdlv

I was told a Canon iPF6100 would be a better choice for printing on vinyl...does this make sense to all of you?

I was told there are more choices of what I could print on with the Canon and the Epson is more for printing photographs.

Raulrdz

The Canon IPF, the Epson and HP Z series are all pretty much the same. They all print great on photo paper including canvas, but they require a coated material for vinyl and banner. The coating can scratch off easily, depening on the manufacturer and the material is two to three times more expensive than uncoated material for solvent or mild solvent printers.

I have the Canon IPF8000s, its a 44" printer and prints very well. I do a lot of temporary outdoor stuff on it, having said that I have unlamiated prints on removable vinyl that are going on 8 month with direct sun exposure on a local pizza joint that show very little fading. Laminated you can get 1 to 1-1/2 years. I have also been able to use it for photographs and school sponsor posters, which leave a good profit margin.

My advice is take in account what you want to do with it, what you can spend, and what is justifiable. Don't settle for something too small or too cheap as it will just leave you wishing you would have spent you money wisely on the on-set.

Check out Lexjet.com they have some good newsletters available on-line that give you an idea of what you can do with these printers and they also have good info on the products they sell.

Last edited:

Cadmn

the model RailRoad guys use the Alps brand printers but they have been discontinued & no longer have support , some have adapted other brands of supplies to them they can be found on sleazeBay for 500 or so but be aware many are JUNK

G

gps-hi

The canon's will print on up to 4mil, so it should handle vinyl. However, it is not a printer/cutter so no contour cutting features.

Fuzzbuster

I have a mutoh outdoor 62 with a takeup reel for $2500...CANADIAN!!

It only prints decals ..not sure on stickers

gwdlv

Thanks for all the feedback. I understand about not settling...I have done that before.

So am I to understand that though the Canon IPF6000 can print vinyl stickers that materials are going to be way more expensive?

Should I just go for a Roland 24 cutter instead? I know Roland is one of the best by most people's opinions.

I was hoping to get into a 24" printer, but if it is going to be a bear to do what I want, I don't want to be burnt out on this and end up selling it on Craigslist.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Artildawn

can we clarify something... do you want to be able to print full color images and then cut around them, or are you wanting to cut vinyl lettering and graphics and assemble them in more complex designs?

I ask, because it seems as though you looking in two different directions.