• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Violating Copyright, or not?

showcase 66

I was stopped yesterday by a man who wanted to know if I can make posters. I said I could get them, and he started to explain what he was wanting.

The Harley run is coming up in 2 weeks and he has a photograph of his aunt on a 1930 something Indian Chief motorcycle. He showed me a pic of it that he had in his wallet. He said his Uncle was a professional photographer and he had all the negatives from the photo shoot from back in the 50's.

He wants to make this pic into a poster to sell at the Harley run.

I am a little concerned about the copyright on the motorcycle as well as the image itself. Not sure if the photo was actually from this guys uncle or that maybe it was for a photo shoot for some magazine that they would have the rights for.

My other concern would be from the Brand Indian. You cant see the Indian logo on the side but you can definitely tell it is one from the pic.

Any ideas as what I should do?

Thanks
BJ

Marlene

seems like we had a thread about something like this a while back and from what I remember, if it is a photo taken by some one known to the person and the person owns the photo, it is OK. since it will be for sale, I hope anyone who remembers that thread will post just to be sure.