• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vista Sucks ? ! ? !

SignBurst PCs

Hoppers, this has been my experience as well.

My laptop, even with a dual core processor and 4GB of ram is a little slow sometimes.

My desktop, on the otherhand, has no performance issues what-so-ever. I am not running a budget system though.

Techman

You don't think that Apple and Linux are competitors? Maybe not large market share competitors, but if MS doesn't keep up, eventually that will change

NOt hardly. the two combined are at what percent???
MAC has increased sales but total market share has NOT increased.
Linux has increased usage but until it can load up and run M$ without a tweak it will continue to be in the experimental arena.

SignsRus

Eye candy isn't a necessity =P

I'll continue running XP on my budget gaming rig until I can afford a rig with enough resources to handle vistas hefty arse =O

And I'll never run anything but ubuntu on my laptop.

LINUX FTW =]

Save your resources ;)

signmeup

how long ago was it? was it just the drivers? when vista came out, a lot of stuff didn't work with it because no one had the drivers for it....if it was drivers, have you checked to see if there are updated vista drivers now???
Yes it was the drivers. I don't care if new drivers are out....I switched back to XP. Microsoft should have figured out a way to allow the old XP drivers to work IMO.

SignsRus

Seriously....what is the benefit to me, to switch to Vista?

I'd have to imagine the only benefit being if you went 64bit, and had hardware that could handle vistas resource hogging arse...then you could benefit on some 64bit performance

But I still find that hard to believe. I think vista was more eye candy then anything. And like mentioned earlier in this thread companies are selling it on computers that don't even have enough power to run it properly. Really turning people off =O

OldPaint

VISTA...reminds me of GERBER GA 6.0...made so you have to do things 2- 3 times before you can actually do em.
i got the wife a new puter...WITH VISTA....i got corel X3 loaded on it...now it tell me that the ADMINSITRATOR did some thing so it cant install UPDATES....IAM THE ADMINISTRATOR....stupid machine....i did nothing(that iam aware of)to stop any upgrades.
its ok......only thing i like is the SMOOTHENESS OF OPERATION...in the graphics....nice but WHEN IT PESSES ME OFF....it will get XP!!!!!

hoppers

yeah personally you arent losing out without going to Vista...but nowadays any prebuilt computer you buy has it preloaded (and hard to get XP unless you buy a Dell business computer or build it yourself), so just get used to using it in the future as MS eventually will not support XP anymore.

choucove

I purchased an HP notebook ($1,000) back in November with a dual-core AMD Turion X2 and upgraded it to 2 GB of memory and a 7,200 rpm hard drive. I did this because I noticed at first just how slow Vista was. Now, this was my first computer with Vista, and it came preloaded with Vista Home Premium, but I was incredibly disappointed how much time it took to work through things (loading, opening programs, moving files, etc.)

Even after upgrading the hardware, Vista still ran slow. I upgraded to Ultimate just after the beginning of the year to see some extra features (Hey, if I'm gonna go to a new OS, I wanna see what's really new and the best that they can offer.) Again, disappointed with their performance.

One thing I noticed about Vista is that it tends to slow down on your system much faster than XP. A system running Windows XP will eventually slow down slightly in certain tasks from lots of old registry values, cleaning, etc. Vista slowed down DRAMATICALLY within a few months of its installation.

A lot of the built in security access "Confirm/Deny" constant popups causes me the biggest grief. Because you have to click confirm on five different Windows popup warnings just to delete a folder, it ends up taking you five times the amount of time to perform the simplest tasks as in XP. It's also gotten to the point where it takes several seconds of Vista just hanging there thinking before it will pop up each of these Windows messages, causing even more sluggish performance.

The real difference I saw between XP and Vista were all visual changes. It did not offer many new, better, or improved features over XP other than asthetic changes. However, if there aren't as many improvements and the OS isn't offering so much more power than XP, why is it requiring to use huge quantities of system resources compared to XP? Simply put, Vista disappointed me in this aspect as well, as it was like having a very unstable installation of all Norton products on the computer again, attaching to everything and making everything seem to run slower.

I've been very close to reverting my HP laptop to XP, the big kicker that keeps me from doing it is the lack of drivers for these notebooks for XP since they were built for Vista.

I truly believe that MS needs to do a lot more planning and really offer some improvements over the OS and not in asthetics. 90% of the customer base out there would purchase the product for its stability over its asthetics. In the next few years I'm hoping that 64-bit computing will really begin to take hold, and more software programmers begin making the change over to this standard. A more solid 64-bit OS is in the future and desperately by MS. When you think about it, a modern desktop requires 2 GB of memory just to run Vista smoothly, and that's your standard memory included in your basic systems today. However, because of limitations of 32-bit computing you can only have up to 4GB. That limitation is removed with 64-bit computing.

But lets face the real music. MS just as all of us know that we will all have to eventually turn to Vista because of support, drivers, compatibility, etc. MS knows this and that is why they can just ignore the millions out there voicing how much they dislike Vista and want to stay with XP. But, at least it seems to me and I know to several others, it seems almost cruel that you must completely change your entire system for an almost inferior OS. Will Vista be better in the next few years? Of course, the same happened with XP. But right now, for a lot of people, a lot of programs, and a lot of businesses Vista is just not ready.

Techman

I've been very close to reverting my HP laptop to XP, the big kicker that keeps me from doing it is the lack of drivers for these notebooks for XP since they were built for Vista.

The drivers are available.. Just gotta be resourceful. Theres more than a few of us around that are reloading XP onto vista machines now. However it will come at a small price. There are several places online that have kits available now that have all the drivers bundled.

The trick is for the SATA drives. They need their drivers during the early stages of XP install. You will make a slipstream Xp install disk which is easily made with nlite.

good luck..

choucove

The drivers are available.. Just gotta be resourceful. Theres more than a few of us around that are reloading XP onto vista machines now. However it will come at a small price. There are several places online that have kits available now that have all the drivers bundled.

The trick is for the SATA drives. They need their drivers during the early stages of XP install. You will make a slipstream Xp install disk which is easily made with nlite.

good luck..

These were actually the main drivers I have been having difficulties finding, as none of the actual chipset driver pack is available through HP Support for XP on my notebook. The other big driver that I was missing was for the nVidia VGA drivers, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal really just searching nVidia for some drivers for the 6100 XP drivers. I got them for Linux, I'm sure I can get them for XP.

Now what about this slipstream XP install disk? Every time before for SATA drives I've just always made a simple floppy with the SATA drivers. I can probably get the drivers for XP around if I just do some hunting for who makes the actual chipset for these HP Pavilion DV6409 wm notebooks.

I just today learned something else about Vista that makes me upset. The release of SP1 for Vista Ultimate effectively hides all the Ultimate features and special tools that were supposed to be what Ultimate was all about. Since MS can't really come up with new cool tools and gadgets to send out still for those with Ultimate, they are basically just going to hide them. It seems like a really raw way of trying to cover their tracks. http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=806

SignBurst PCs

What does "64 bit" performance look like? Will I make more money?

Well it depends on how much you wait on your computer now. With 64Bit and 8GB of RAM, my Vista system moves. It moves fast. If you are designing on PS and waiting and waiting, then 64 bit with more RAM might help. Faster design times help you make more $$$.

Even with 4GB of ram, everything being equal, PS is 8%-10% faster on a 64Bit OS than on it's 32 bit counterpart (% stolen from an adobe developer forum).

SignBurst PCs

I just today learned something else about Vista that makes me upset. The release of SP1 for Vista Ultimate effectively hides all the Ultimate features and special tools that were supposed to be what Ultimate was all about. Since MS can't really come up with new cool tools and gadgets to send out still for those with Ultimate, they are basically just going to hide them. It seems like a really raw way of trying to cover their tracks.

Not entirely true. I have SP1 ,and still running DreamScene, the most popular "Extra". DreamScene and the Content pack are available throught Windows Update, jst as they were before. MS is jsut putting less emphasis on them as people were basically ignoring them anyhow. They are new, no one knew how to use them.

I can't tell you how much easier it is to backup and restore in Vista (vs XP). The image backup is a breeze. DVD player (decoder) and Media Center are built in. The sidebar is cool if you dowload new gadgets. There are a TON of new features available. But if you only use your computer for surfing the web and basic programs, then no, you aren't going to notice a difference. They are virtually the same on Vista and XP.

For me, I use my PC for a million different things. Vista takes care of most of them out of the box. With XP, I had to load a lot of third-party software to accomplish what I wanted.

Techman

DVD player (decoder) and Media Center are built in. The sidebar is cool if you dowload new gadgets. There are a TON of new features available.

Yes, but every one of those features are restricted, or under some kind of reduced function. Third party stuff is still better no matter what. Id rather have a fine running machine than 2 gigs of junk bling. Its about using the machine not about it being an entertainment center.

MarkFP

No value

A large OEM manufacturer distributed Vista Ultra to all the employees. 75% of these were passed on to friends and family... that is how I obtained my copy. Loaded it onto my laptop and home system and ran for a couple months... now both have been switched back to XP pro.

Yeah, Vista is pretty and can do some "cool"stuff, but if you have real work to do, Vista is an insult and a waste of time.

Good article below on Vista woes...

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1870375122;fp;;fpid;;pf;1