• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vj-1204 [INKNEAREND]

teamrolex

Hi,

When vj-1204 displays the [(Y)INKNEAREND] and setup menu under "ink status" for Y is 0%.
My printer still be able to print (even Yellow) without me changing the Y cartridge. I don't print much these 2 weeks but whenever I do little jobs, it's still saying [YINKNEAREND] and Y=0% under ink status.

I always replace the cartridge when I get the "NEAREND" message but I have a feeling there are still ink inside the cartridge.

So my question is : is it safe to wait until the message [Y-INKEND] before changing out the cartridge ?

Thanks for your advise in advance.

FatCat

The printer will still try to print, and it will, because there is about a 1/2 cartridge worth of ink in the feed lines inside the printer. HOWEVER, if your cartridge is truly empty it will continue to try to pull ink from it, usually sucking air into your lines (not good) and then you have to work on getting the air purged out.

Why not just put a new cartridge in and not worry?

teamrolex

Thanks Sean for your reply.
So I wonder when will the [INKEND] message will come on.
And when that happens usually how much ink remains in the cartridge or ink lines ?

Thanks.

FatCat

Usually, when the machine believes the cartridge is totally empty it will shut down and force you to switch to a new cartridge. However, you have to be careful with these as sometimes I've heard of printers continuing to print long after the ink is really gone. To me, it really isn't worth it, as I would switch out a cart once it was down to 2-3%. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

As I said, the hazard is the printer will continue to print, but air will enter the lines through the empty cartridge. In the 1204 and 1304 I have been told there is about 100ml worth of ink in the lines from the head back to the cartridges because they don't have subtanks like the bigger Mutoh printers.

teamrolex

So when will the message [inkend] display ?
I find it confusing.
In the manual it says when [INKNEAREND] get ready the cartridge.
When [INKEND], put the new cartridge in.

But, when [NEAREND] MSG is displayed, most times the INK STATUS in the menu shows 0% already.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The menu is just an estimate of the amount of ink in the cart. It is based off the chip.
There is no mechanical flow meter in these printers(that I know of).
The tab on the cart the extends out as the ink is used will trip a switch and tell the printer to stop printing until a new cart is installed. Those can get stuck and not stop the printer even when the cart is dry.
I have a 1304 and run it until it stops and asks for more ink. Have had it not stop maybe 3 times in the 2 1/2 years I have owned it.

wayne k
guam usa

teamrolex

Thank you Wyne and Sean.

From my understanding of your replies, so the [INKEND] message actually works when ink runs out on a cartridge.
But . . there is a tendency that whatever triggers the system to display this message may not work all the time.

Thanks and have a nice weekend guys !!